Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nik120 buildup and how to shoehorn in 6 radios into a 120GXL D4D

G'day All,

I used to have a 2007 Hilux SR5 dual cab with all the gear. But my father decided to upgrade to an LC200 GXL so off went the Hilux and I aquired his 2007 120 GXL instead, as it had less km's than the Hilux and a Prado was what I was after lately.

Anyway, after many distractions, I'm finally getting into the fitout. Nearly everything that was in the Hilux is going to go into the Prado. I soon discovered that the Prado isn't as radio-friendly as was the Hilux, in regards to where to put things. But, here I go...

From here, I've been doing my head in...

It's booked in next week at an ARB dealer to have a colour-coded deluxe bar, dual batt and front & rear OME suspension fitted.

Beyond that, I intend fitting:
    ARB Compressor
    Lightforce Genesis driving lights (halogen - as HID's are not HF friendly)
    Codan NGT & 9350
    Icom IC-F1010 and RFI CD28
    Icom IC-F2010 and Polar 317GC
    Icom IC-2820H and Comet SBB5
    Motorola Syntrx and RFI AP454
    Motorola Spectra W3 and Polar 315CU
    Engel 32L fridge
    Redarc 360W inverter
    Nokia carkit
    And so it goes...

In the mean time, I've been finding some places to put things. Firstly, I decided to install the IC-2820H in the roof sunglasses enclosure...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IC-2820H.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	658312
    Then where the heck to install a few more control heads...

Name:	NGT and IC-F1010.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	658313Click image for larger version

Name:	Centre Console.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	658314
    And the first antenna is born - an RFI AP454 - tuned for 440MHz...

Name:	RFI AP454.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	658315

I'm currently doing the joinery and radio transceiver/brick install. More pics tommorrow.

And in case some of you tech heads are wondering, the main DC feed from the planned aux batt is 10mm2 twin and nearly all antenna feeders will be Huber Suhner RG223.

Cheers,
    Nik120
    Last edited by Nik120; 09-06-2012, 11:17 PM.
    Nik
    Geelong VIC.

Silver 2007 Prado 120 GXL D4D auto

Good stuff Nik,

I'm not much of a "HF" man, so for the sake of me and to forum can you give us a quick run down on what each unit will provide?

Codan NGT & 9350

If your up to it.....

I have started looking into HF for the Prado, as I have read you can now do E-mail, SMS along with the normal phone calls and the normal Emergency contact stuff...and I guess more....

P.S. Just notice.....100th post Yeah Baby!

Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by berniebgf View Post
      Good stuff Nik,

I'm not much of a "HF" man, so for the sake of me and to forum can you give us a quick run down on what each unit will provide?

Codan NGT & 9350

If your up to it.....

I have started looking into HF for the Prado, as I have read you can now do E-mail, SMS along with the normal phone calls and the normal Emergency contact stuff...and I guess more....

P.S. Just notice.....100th post Yeah Baby!

Bernie
      G'day BernieBGF,

Firstly, I'm an licensed (advanced) amateur radio operator, so I can operate on a whole suite of bands from 1.8MHz up to 474THz in various modes and power levels.

With the Codan NGT, mine is configured with the RFDS Outpost frequencies. I have a license for this. This radio has also been optioned for the amateur radio freq segments as well. So, this radio is Type Approved for RFDS Outpost use and is fine for amateur radio use. I used to use an Icom IC-706IIG & ATU for HF amateur use, but after aquiring the NGT, there was no comparison, the DSP performance of the NGT is years ahead of the 706 - sort of goes with the price point difference as well.

The IC-F1010 is an Icom VHF commercial rig, which I use for amateur radio use. As a licensed amateur radio operator, I'm allowed to build and/or modify equipment for amateur radio use within the licensed freq segments, but is not type approved for anything beyond that.

The IC-F2010 is an Icom UHF commercial rig, which I use for amateur radio use, but also happens to be type approved for UHF-CB use at 5W TX. At least this was the story when I bought it back in the late 1990's. I assume it still is now.

The IC-2820H is a dedicated dual-band amateur radio transceiver for what we call 2 & 70 or 144MHz and 440MHz use in Australia. It'll also receive most things from about 80MHz up to 970MHz. These radios run FM and D-Star, as well as AM RX.

The Syntrx that I've got is setup for amateur radio use again - but at our 70cm or 440MHz segment.

The Spectra is in the same boat, but as well as FM, it also runs unencrypted P25 within the 70cm amateur segment.

To explain the antennas a bit...

The Polar 317GC is an elevated dipole UHF antenna (with a bandwidth of about 20MHz), optimised for the 470 - 490MHz segment. I've had a couple of these for about 20yrs and are a truely excellent 4WD antenna. A lot of others have tried to copy these. You get what you pay for. Construction and performance is of high-end commercial quality.

The Polar 315CU is an elevated dipole UHF antenna (with a bandwidth of approx 50MHz) of which mine is optimised for the 430-440MHz segment. These are not available from retailers generally. Whilst these may look similar to the Polar 317GC to the untrained eye, they are not the same thing. These are a broadbanded antenna, regularly used by VicPol and others. Have a closer look. Construction and performance is of high-end commercial quality.

The Comet SBB5 is a dual band amateur radio VHF & UHF (2m & 70cm) antenna and is of domestic/consumer quality.

The RFI CD28 is a VHF 1/2wave antenna that is available with various options and is of commercial quality & performance.

The RFI AP454 on-glass antenna that I have here has been tuned for the 70cm (440MHz) amateur radio segment and is a unity gain antenna. These are not cheap. But work well for the intended purpose. These are of commercial quality, hence they cost a fortune compared to some others.

Generally, with radios, antennas, etc - what you pay for is what you get.

I hope this info helps. I hope to upload future pics in the interest of helping out those who are in similar situations trying to sort out where and how to install similar radio gear.

All the best.

Cheers,
      Nik120
      Last edited by Nik120; 10-06-2012, 12:42 AM.
      Nik
      Geelong VIC.

Comment

Another day in the garage and mostly kneeling on the floor. The carpet-covered joinery and DC wiring is approx 80% completed.

Name:	DSC_4058 (Large).jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	640049Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4053 (Large).jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	640050Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4055 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	640051Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4057 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	640052

Here's where it's going to go...

Name:	DSC_4050 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	640053

Cheers,
        Nik
        Geelong VIC.

Comment

G'day all, not much more progress today. I might've hit a brick wall in regards to the antenna arrangement as I was expecting the new deluxe bar to have two factory fitted antenna mounts on the top bar.

But as D4D has informed me via my other forum topic, this may not be the case, due to grill clearance problems. So my plans of mounting the Codan 9350 antenna on the b/bar has now quickly gone up in smoke. Looks like I'll have to install a Kaymar spare tyre mount, which presents another problem - mounting the 9350 on this will then present another clearance problem for underground car parks, garage, etc. So I'll have to get one of the new 3040 antenna tuners which have a much smaller profile.

Anyway, this little problem will cost another $1500 to solve.

This 120 project is turning into a money pit...

Cheers,
          Nik
          Geelong VIC.

Comment

Have you seen these?
            http://www.pefabrication.com.au/home.php?cat=249
            [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by D4D View Post
              Thanks D4D, yep I have.

Thanks for the heads-up re the slightly angled hoop bar on the ends - yet another problem but I think I've got a way around that too.
              Nik
              Geelong VIC.

Comment

Hi Nik,

My Type of thread! I have had several comments on my antenna farm here in Adelaide, however it is still missing the HF antenna.

Kaymar 'USED' to make a HF bracket that attached to the spare wheel mount through the centre hub that would keep the 9350 below / level with the roof line very similar to their HF Antenna mount they still advertise now - http://www.kaymar.com.au/accessories...ccessories.php

I emailed Kaymar and they advised that they don't make the bracket that goes behind the wheel and through the alloy centre, only the one pictured at the above link which as you can see sits on top which is fine if you have steel rims! I can't find a pic of the older style bracket at the moment.

There have been other comments on here which mention the steel belts in the tyres can / do have an effect on the tuning and performance of the 9350, however as discussed above mounting options are limited.

I am looking at getting a custom mount (similar to the older Kaymar one) manufactured as I have a friend that is in that industry (yet to ask him) for my 9350 which will go to the 706MKIIG that is currently in there. Yes I am licenced for the amateur bands also.

Let me know if you might be interested and I will see what I can do - some people don't like them because the antenna needs to be removed when you change tyres - I don't get that many flat tyres that it would be a real inconvenience.

Cheers,

Mark.
                Last edited by SLR; 16-06-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

cool. looks good.
                  2011 150series GXL

Comment

G'day All,

Righteo - nearly there.... phew! I've been getting to know my garage very well lately...

This week, the ARB colour coded Deluxe winch bar went on, ARB dual battery, ARB OME front & rear suspension (lift of 40mm front and 50mm rear) all at my local ARB dealer.

Since then, I've fitted two Lightforce Genesis 210's (one with wide filter) and mostly finished off the radio install.

I had several dramas and cost blowouts of course...

In order to maintain a decent bend radius, I had to jack up two antennas with 6 s/steel washers.

I sprayed (2 coats of colour and 2 of clear) the antenna brackets then decided to bake them at a low temp in the kitchen electric oven. Apart from the paint job ending up pretty well, I stank the kitchen out and smelled like paint fumes - took about a day for the pong to dissappear.

When the bonnet is raised, there is approx 5mm of clearance between it and the two centre antenna mounts - so I reckon ARB could've put the factory welded ones on after all.

Cable ties on the bar are Panduit s/steel ties and tensioned & cut with s/steel tie gun.

The DC feed from the aux batt is 10mm twin and all RF feeders are RG223. I have an Anderson 50A connector at the rear for a 360W Redarc pure sinewave inverter. Everything is fused from the rear panel, inc the relay coils. Although I have switches & fuses assigned for ACC1 and ACC2, these are not yet functional and will just be a couple of cig-lighter outlets at the rear.

The Codan NGT is mostly installed, but not the antenna yet. I've to scrap the idea of re-using my 9350 antenna and aquire a 3040 system. I've already installed the Kaymar rear HF mount. There's another couple of radios to go in, but I've still working on them so they've not yet been installed.

Eventually the 32L Engel will be replaced with a 42L in coming weeks.

Name:	DSC_4169 (Large).jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	640110Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4176 (Large).jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	640111Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna mounts1 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	640112Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4152 (Large).jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	640113Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4157 (Large).jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	640114

That's the story for now - time to take it camping next weekend!!

Cheers,
                    Nik
                    Geelong VIC.

Comment

And here's a couple of pics of the Kaymar rear HF antenna mount. These are ok for the Codan 9350 (if you can put up with the tuning section sticking up about 300mm above the roofline and are fine for the new Codan 3040 - I checked it for fitment yesterday at my local Codan dealer.

Name:	DSC_4132 (Large).jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	640115Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4134 (Large).jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	640116

Cheers,
                      Nik
                      Geelong VIC.

Comment

Nice work, I have the insect screen fitted hence the edge of the clamp hit the screen when opening the bonnet. Nothing a bench grinder couldn't fix.
                        [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by SLR View Post
                          Hi Nik,

My Type of thread! I have had several comments on my antenna farm here in Adelaide, however it is still missing the HF antenna.

Kaymar 'USED' to make a HF bracket that attached to the spare wheel mount through the centre hub that would keep the 9350 below / level with the roof line very similar to their HF Antenna mount they still advertise now - http://www.kaymar.com.au/accessories...ccessories.php

I emailed Kaymar and they advised that they don't make the bracket that goes behind the wheel and through the alloy centre, only the one pictured at the above link which as you can see sits on top which is fine if you have steel rims! I can't find a pic of the older style bracket at the moment.

There have been other comments on here which mention the steel belts in the tyres can / do have an effect on the tuning and performance of the 9350, however as discussed above mounting options are limited.

I am looking at getting a custom mount (similar to the older Kaymar one) manufactured as I have a friend that is in that industry (yet to ask him) for my 9350 which will go to the 706MKIIG that is currently in there. Yes I am licenced for the amateur bands also.

Let me know if you might be interested and I will see what I can do - some people don't like them because the antenna needs to be removed when you change tyres - I don't get that many flat tyres that it would be a real inconvenience.

Cheers,

Mark.
                          G'day Mark, thanks for the info. Yep, the rear spare wheel mount is no good for alloys. A mate of mine made one up for his, but I decided to go for the mount that goes in between the door and wheel mount instead.

I had the NGT & 9350 in my 2007 Hilux SR5 TD dual-cab and it worked fine. No noise from the engine ECU, injectors or Engel fridge. I used to run an IC-706IIG & multi-tapped antenna and I heard every noise known to man with that thing - and it was very sensitive to low DC volts. No such dramas with the NGT. The IF DSP in the NGT works a treat. But then you could buy 3 x 706's for the cost of an NGT...

The key to a successful HF install is - strap everything down... bonnet, rear door, exhaust, etc. And don't just strap the antenna down to the bullbar or rear door - it's gotta go to the chassis. I've got some pics of the HF install in the Hilux if required.

Cheers,
                          Nik
                          Geelong VIC.

Comment

Originally posted by D4D View Post
                            Nice work, I have the insect screen fitted hence the edge of the clamp hit the screen when opening the bonnet. Nothing a bench grinder couldn't fix.
                            Yeah, or a bit more care taken at the design stage - without too much effort, I'm sure ARB could've accommodated two welded tabs for this bar. In fact they should weld on 6 tabs

Although it was probably a blessing in disguise... a local plod did suggest to me that perhaps a better place for a large diameter antenna is at the rear of the vehicle - easy to do with a wagon-type 4WD... but no so easy on a dual-cab ute. So, a new Codan 3040 will be going on the rear Kaymar mount.

Cheers,
                            Nik
                            Geelong VIC.

Comment

G'day all, picked up a new Codan 3040 antenna system today and did a bit of a rush job tonight installing it.

AJ120 gave me some ideas http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_s...ra/camera.html

It was all going well, until after I dragged the control cable & ant feeder right through from start to finish, that I forgot to run the cables completely inside the rear door, hence they come out of one access hole and in through another...

Then also after drilling the 20mm hole for the cable gland, I picked a bad spot for the hole - where the sheet metal dual layer doesn't quite match, hence the gland tightened up on a slight angle, so to ensure it's all sealed, I pasted some sealer on the outside.

I earthed the 3040 tuner to the Kaymar wheel mounting bolt where it meets the back door and also put in a braided strap between each side of the top door hinge.

So anyway, after a quick test run, it works well. And yes, the wiper, washer and tailights still work... phew!

Here's some pics...

Name:	DSC_4213 (Large).jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	640151Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4215 mod (Large).jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	640152Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4210 (Large).jpg