Sunday's 2006 D4D GXL Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday's 2006 D4D GXL Auto

We acquired our 2006 Charcoal Grey D4D GXL Auto in September 2009. It was a very well kept, largely stock standard unit with 66,000 km on the odometer. The only extras were a genuine Toyota tow bar, Eco-Pro electronic rust prevention and window tint.

Well, like many here on Pradopoint I immediately had some modifications in mind to customise our (new to us) Prado for our intended use. This will primarily be the daily use vehicle for my Wife & I who are "empty nesters" but also regularly take our daughter & three little grandsons (all under 5!) on day trips. We also have a Customline off-road camper trailer which we intend to use as it's manufacture intended, though the reality is this would likely be only once or twice a year (for now). I also have a few "blokey" trips with my son & a few mates in mind (a bit more adventurous in nature).

So, the vehicle had to remain comfortable (my Wife has a bad back & suffers from other medical conditions which mean travelling has to be undertaken with comfort and low-impact pain minimisation in mind). But it also had to be able to handle being loaded up with tarmac, unsealed and some off-road excursions in mind, sometimes towing a reasonably well-loaded camper trailer. Oh, and for most of the time, the third row seats had to remain in-situ for those off-the-cuff trips with the Grandkids. This would limit drawer system options somewhat (I'm still thinking about this aspect of the build).

Between purchase date & now I've been doing a lot of researching of various build threads & others here on Pradopoint, submitting the odd post to clarify others experiences, working through & contributing ideas of my own & generally working out what I needed to do to get our vehicle "built up". My immediate requirements were identified as follows:

:arrow: Seat covers
    :arrow: Electronic brake controller
    :arrow: Bull bar
    :arrow: Spot lights
    :arrow: Dual battery installation
    :arrow: Suspension

I have further mods in mind but more on that later.

So here now is progress to date. I haven't posted much in recent weeks as I've been away a lot on work duties, so this initial build-up post is a bit of a catch up.

First up, here's our pride & joy as we acquired it:

Then we added the seat covers (Platinum Cloud Slate sheepskins). They're from Supercheap Auto, are very comfortable with a nice deep pile:

Next up was the brake controller. I opted for the Tekonsha Prodigy unit which many here have determined to be an effective, trouble-free unit. I had it fitted low down on the left of the steering column as shown. Here it's easily accessible for adjustment yet doesn't get in the way. I've included shots from a couple of angles:

With regards to a bull bar, I determined the ARB Deluxe would be the ideal pick for me. This decision was made factoring in the strength of a steel bar (as opposed to the Sovereign alloy bar), off-road capability (approach angle) & versatility (potential fittings). Of course the good looks (to me) of the ARB was a factor as well. I went with the winch bar (leaving the option open for a future winch fitting), with fitted fog lights in the standard dark grey colour which matches the Charcoal Grey vehicle colour very well. For spotties, I went with the IPF 900XS spot & spread combo.

Over coming days, I'll post again with a bit more of the story to tell....

Sunday

The next item on the Mods list was a dual battery set-up. I did a lot of reading on options, trying to guage everyone's experiences of battery locations, separator / smart-charger set ups, wiring methods etc. I was particularly alarmed by many of the threads outlining the need to overcome the D4D's ECU-controlled alternator output, supposedly greatly compromising the alternator's capacity to keep a second battery fully charged during normal driving conditions & trip lengths (presumably unless regularly tackling the Nullabor!).

Not being a sparky myself, I got more and more confused but decided I was reluctant to fit a Ranox (or similar) system in the vehicle's interior (just don't want it in the way or liable to "Grandchild abuse"). I also sought advice from a couple of very experienced auto electricians, including one who has fitted literally thousands of Redarc & similar smart-charge systems to D4Ds and other late model diesel & fuel injected vehicles with modern alternator systems. He was adamant it simply wasn't a significant issue. ARB similarly advised they have fitted thousands of their SurePower smart solenoid separator systems to D4Ds and similar without any issues. Well, my overall conclusion is that whilst auxiliary battery life may indeed be compromised on a D4D by less than 100% optimal charging: just how many years do you get out of a modern battery anyway (not many!). And the expense and extra complications associated with a solution to the issue just maybe isn't warranted... To be truthful I just may be proven wrong on this over time but I ended up going with ARB's SurePower unit (model 1314).

Curiously, despite other poster's experiences of ARB, my local ARB store was adamant that installing the second battery in the driver's side front location was a sound & secure installation provided it was done properly (good quality tray etc.). Again, this particular store has done many of these on Prados with NO tray or guard cracking issues. Indeed, they've heard of very few such cracking issues throughout the industry & the overall impression is that most instances have been caused by poor installations, EXTREME (as in ridiculously so) vehicle use or both. Again, I took a leap of faith & went with their advice. I do have to say this ARB store has a very good reputation over many years with the Central Qld off-road fraternity.

ARB did a very neat installation, with a manual auxiliary start function (basically bridging the 2 batteries) should circumstances warrant it. Aux. Battery choice was a Century N70ZZH. I also got them to put heavy duty wiring through to the rear luggage area, both to the existing aux. power outlet as well as a new Engel fridge outlet.

Some pics below:

Still more mods to come...
    Sunday
    [color=#0080FF]Having reached my 40s I finally know what I want to be when I grow up: a Grey Nomad!

2006 GXL D4D Auto with Kedron XC (Cross Country) Caravan [/color]

Re: Sunday's 2006 D4D GXL Auto

looks like a nice project for you to tinker with, like the look of the arb bar. cheers samo
    had an 03 gx 120 with some gear now got a 2013 bt 50 GT auto some ARB gear.

Comment

Looks Good, oh the joys of having toys
      Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come
      Build Up: [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?15022-FC-s-120-D4D-GXL[/url]
      Toyota Prado D4D-SOLD; now a 2014 Landcruiser 200 Altitude, Holden Colorado DCab [url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/effiec/colorado][img]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/48073.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Looks Good, oh the joys of having toys
        ...and the joys of a rapidly emptying bank account! Mounts up quickly doesn't it???

Sunday
        [color=#0080FF]Having reached my 40s I finally know what I want to be when I grow up: a Grey Nomad!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunday
          ...and the joys of a rapidly emptying bank account! Mounts up quickly doesn't it???

Sunday
          It seems easier if you just sign over your pay to the local ARB dealer.

Looking good, OldGreyGuy
          2008-12 D4D 5-Spd Auto Grande, Silver Ash, Full Window Tint, H-R Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Rhino-Racks, Rola Vortex Tray, GME TX3340, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, IPF900XS Spotlights, BFG 275/65R17

Comment

Originally posted by OldGreyGuy

Sunday
            It seems easier if you just sign over your pay to the local ARB dealer.

Looking good, OldGreyGuy
            OGG: It's certainly been close to that over the past little while. I've shopped around quite a bit but keep coming back to ARB. Their product range (while sometimes a bit dearer) is invariably high quality and I have say the advice from my local store has generally been spot on and the quality of their work excellent.

Sunday

Comment

Enjoy the build mate...it becomes very addictive.......

cheers joey
              Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
              -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
              Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
              [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Ok, I've edited the original post with dual battery installation (text, pics etc.).

Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by joey
                  Enjoy the build mate...it becomes very addictive.......

cheers joey
                  Thanks Joey, your awsome build has been a great inspiration to me & I'm sure many others here!

Cheers,
                  Sunday

Comment

Ok, next up was suspension. I wanted a 2" lift, the ability to carry extra loads on trips (Engel, camping gear etc.), tow the camper trailer safely & easily, yet be comfortable for daily use (including concessions for my Wife's medical condition: bad back etc.). Again, I did a lot of research on this forum & asked around as much as I could locally. Being in a regional area, there isn't an easily accessible variety of modified vehicles to check or try out. I considered Bilsteins (good wrap from owners on this forum but no local supplier), EFS, Tough Dog and the local manufacturer Dobinsons. I had previously fitted Dobinson's springs to my old GQ Nissan Patrol and found them to be robust with good load carrying ability but quite stiff and unforgiving in the ride stakes (I know: you can't have it all!).

In the end I went with OME for the following reasons:

:arrow: General "good wrap" consensus from owners on this forum & around the traps (including from a paramedic friend who has regularly driven OME equipped Prados while working as a paramedic in rallys in WA)
                    :arrow: The new Nitrocharger Sport shocks & struts sounded as they they might be a significantly more advanced product over previous OME products & others
                    :arrow: The local ARB store is great to deal with
                    :arrow: I felt I'd likely get a "goldilocks" (just right) compromise between load carrying & ride characteristics

For the front: with the dual battery installation & steel ARB Deluxe bull bar I decided on OME884 springs & 90000 Sport struts
                    For the rear: OME895 springs with 60004 shocks (with stoneguard kits) and Firestone CR5034 airbags (for 2" lift fitting).

I figured this would give the required lift & load carrying characteristics but retain optimum comfort, with the airbag adjustability for loads & towing.
                    Ride height measurements before:

Passenger front: 735mm
                    Driver front: 750mm
                    Passenger rear: 763mm
                    Driver rear: 770mm.

Ride height measurements after (with around 10psi in the airbags):

Passenger front: 780mm
                    Driver front: 785mm
                    Passenger rear: 828mm
                    Driver rear: 825mm

After 2,500 kms this has settled to:

Passenger front: 782mm (?)
                    Driver front: 780mm
                    Passenger rear: 825mm
                    Driver rear: 822mm

Pics first, then the verdict:

Before fitting:

After fitting:

A couple more shots:

So, to the verdict:

Immediately after fitting, my Wife & I towed the camper trailer on a 1800km trip (mostly on the black top) with the Prado pretty well laden. For this I maintained 13psi in the airbags and the rig sat & towed beautifully. Compared to a recent trip where we towed the camper trailer all through NSW with our Honda CRV (with load levellers), it was an absolute dream. The Prado hardly knew the camper trailer was there & the suspension felt comfortable but capable and perfectly level.

When we returned home I still had a week's leave up my sleeve and we went on a few local day trips on sealed & unsealed roads. There was also the daily runs in town, shopping etc. Overall with this running I was surprised how sharp the ride now was, even dropping the air bags back to the minimum 5psi. My Wife in particular found the ride alarmingly severe. (NB: I've previously owned 2 (two) Nissan MQ Patrols, including a wagon with the extra helper spring leaves in the rear: that was ROUGH, so I have experience of rough riding 4WDs!!!) :shock:

Back to the Prado: I was somewhat disappointed as I thought the shocks / sping combo with airbags would pretty much give the best of both worlds, retaining the trademark Prado ride while maintaining suspension control. I discussed the situation with ARB and they were surprised, indicating that previous Prados they've fitted up have maintianed good ride quality. My main contact there did speculate that perhaps the Sport shocks might be a bit harsher than the standard OMEs as they've been designed with minimum fade characteristics in mind. He suggested I give it a bit more settling in time & come back with a view to re-fitting with standard OME shocks.

I subsequently took my son on a trip to Five Rocks (accessed through the Byfiled National Park near Yeppoon) which is a mild to medium 4WD experience these days (used to be pretty rugged!) but with a fair bit of deep-ish soft sand on the way in & out. I dropped the tyres down to 18psi for this. I was again a bit shocked by the harsh ride and somewhat alarming body movement over the soft sand, especially when climbing some of the sand hills with diagonally opposing ruts & rises. While the Prado ate it up easily, the old Nissan GQ seemed to do it with a minimum of drama & eerily soft ride over sand. :?

Interestingly, after this trip, & back to primarily round-town running the ride does seem to have settled down. To be frank, I'm still trying to work out if I'm getting used to it or the suspension continues to settle in :?:

I can't help but wonder if the air bags are part of the problem (they act as a bit of a bump-stop even with only 5psi) & if I would have been better off with OME896 springs in the rear :?: :?: :?: I'm afraid I don't have anything to hand to compare it with. So, I don't have a completely definitive answer yet, I'll keep you posted over subsequent weeks.

Sunday

Comment

Other additions now include ARB compressor (in the box). Bloody quick unit! Inflates all 4 tyres in way less time it used to take me to do one in my ye olde KMart special compressor (bought in the early 90's).

Also have ARB ezy deflator (good bit of kit that), genuine Toyota Prado rubber mats (do the job very well for a modest price).

Lastly (for now): Toyota (Rhino) Aero bars, also well priced.

I'll add some pics soonish.

Sunday

Comment

Any decisions made with regards the suspension?
                        Mine will be similar to your use and requirements.
                        Not sure what is the best solution, if in fact there is one.
                        Someone suggested that I put in heavier springs but keep the Toyota shocks. This worked fine on my 95 series but not sure with the 120.
                        Kevin
                        '09 Black D4D Auto GXL. 3rd Prado.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinD4D
                          Someone suggested that I put in heavier springs but keep the Toyota shocks. This worked fine on my 95 series but not sure with the 120.
                          I'm not sure what to make of it. Reading other poster's comments with similar spec OME mods talking of increased or at least similar ride comfort levels to standard, well there's no way you could claim that with mine I'm afraid. I'm going back to ARB to discuss it. I wish I was in Brisbane, I could compare with a few other PP members vehicles!

With regard to the Toyota shocks with OME springs: I would have thought there'd be issues with the Toyota shocks not having enough travel, assuming there's a "lift" element to the springs.

Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by KevinD4D
                            I'm not sure what to make of it. Reading other poster's comments with similar spec OME mods talking of increased or at least similar ride comfort levels to standard, well there's no way you could claim that with mine I'm afraid. I'm going back to ARB to discuss it. I wish I was in Brisbane, I could compare with a few other PP members vehicles!

With regard to the Toyota shocks with OME springs: I would have thought there'd be issues with the Toyota shocks not having enough travel, assuming there's a "lift" element to the springs.

Sunday
                            Sunday, i've got the 884s up front and 896s at rear. Also up front is an ARB steel winch bar and dual battery but no winch. I find this smooth and silky. The rear is a different story. Around town with nothing in the springs are tight and don't compress well so it fells rather bumpy. Might look at a cheap set of 895 town springs . On a trip when the car is loaded up the rear rides just like the front without any real noticable drop. I'm glad i went 884s and 896s because travelling is beautiful.

On the use of OEM shocks with OME springs you would need to get the losest rated springs because these are shorter (I believe) otherwise you minimising the springs ability to work as the shock will limit movement and potentially pull the shock or mount apart. Also I believe it's best to change shock and spring at the same time to minimise any mechanical failure by a stronger spring on a weakened shock due to it being older and possibly abused
                            [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
                            [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
                            [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

I think the difference with the set up's may be the shocks, my sport one's are certainly a bit sharper than i remember Masso's normal one's to be, sunday maybe you should take up ARB on their offer to change the shocks and see how you like it.
                              [b]Rob[/b]

[b]2016 Toyota Hilux SR5 D4D Auto Company Cruiser... [/b].
                              [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23866-Hutch-s-2012-150-GXL-V6-petrol-Auto]Hutch's 2012 Build up[/url]
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort