Any IT Geeks Out There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any IT Geeks Out There

You'll never catch me buying a Mac. Absolutely Never. Personal choice but Macs aren't powerful enough for me and don't allow me in to tweak things that I want to tweak. They're well built etc etc but the IBM format PC's are now catching up big time in this regard. With windows 7 now out, I even caught a Mac salesman the other day suggesting to a customer to put that on a Mac laptop he was looking at, and blow the MAC OS away. Windows 7 is extremely simple to install. Microsoft have sorted the install process in a big way. It's a personal choice though, and I've never got on with Mac's at all.

The Mac VS IBM format PC debate will rage until the end of time. Bottom line. Both formats are fine. Check that any software you want will run on the PC you buy though.

There are some good deals flying around with laptops at the moment including 8GB Ram. Very good. Unless you want portable though then I'd go with a desktop, simply because you can tweak every aspect of the machine. Don't like the keyboard..... change it. Want a bigger monitor..... get one. Want a more powerful graphics card....... get one. Extra ram later down the track..... get it, though make sure you have room to upgrade upon purchase.

Having worked in a smaller well known PC store in Perth, I find it very difficult to recommend them. Which leaves people in a bit of a bind I'm well aware. Stay well away from the likes of Harvey Norman etc. Their own PC's are worth less than toilet paper and often aren't even built by people who know what they're doing. Been there. Seen it happening. {EDIT: They sell name branded PC's though that they don't build themselves and these can be good value.}

Often, the cheaper models of PC's that smaller chain stores (maybe 2 or 3 stores, won't mention names) build are also often not worth any more than the box they come in. The store I worked in bought cheap components, filled their lower spec PC's with them and passed them off as "good" PC's. No way.

Yes you can buy desktop pc's for $800.00 to $1000.00 but honestly, be very careful with this. Stuff like that screams cheap components to me.

And look. Some of those cheap PC's go for years. God knows how but they do. Some last 5 minutes, and you're left battling the underpaid tech bay guys who are under pressure to get you back out the door with minimal cost to the business. If that means 2nd hand parts for your PC.. so be it. Been there, seen it happen, done it myself much to my great shame.

Unless you can build your own PC. Then look at the higher spec models some of the smaller chains produce. But take someone with you who can look into the components and ask some pointy questions. You will be amazed what people at the sales desk are told. I left the PC industry purely because of the underhandedness and pure lies we were asked to push on customers. I will never do stuff like that again. There is so much competition amongst smaller PC stores that they will do what's necessary to make a profit margin. Bottom line is, you will often pay for something that should be worth around 1/2 what it's being sold for. Some of that stuff works for a while, some doesn't.

If you are really stuck with nobody to help you out. Buy a Dell PC like the guys have said. Dells are built to a standard and at least won't include drastically cheap gear inside. Plus, the after sales care Dell provides will crap all over anything the smaller chains can provide. Not sure about now, but Dell used to have a team of call out techs that actually come to your house if you have an issue. But check that because that was some years ago and I'm not sure if they still do it that way. I think, if I remember correctly, another brand called "Packard Bell" did the same thing but that was 10 years ago so check!

Otherwise get a laptop. They are made wholly by the manufacturers and cannot be mucked around with too much by unscrupulous dealers. You can go online and read all about the laptop you're thinking of buying. If it's crap then the online community will know this and tell you all about it. Try and steer clear of deals that include no actual windows CD. You own a license to windows when you buy a laptop and have the right to a copy of windows on CD as backup. You even have the right to trash your laptop and put it's copy of windows on another PC {See correction below}. You don't have to buy yet another copy of windows just because you're buying another PC. But windows must be removed from the 1st before it goes on the 2nd.
    [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-PAWW
      You even have the right to trash your laptop and put it's copy of windows on another PC. You don't have to buy yet another copy of windows just because you're buying another PC. But windows must be removed from the 1st before it goes on the 2nd.
      Incorrect, an OEM license i.e. the license you get when you buy Windows pre-installed is tied to the machine it is purchased with, it's not transferable to another machine.
      [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Fair enough. I now see you are quite correct. But that stinks. Thanks for the correction. Been out of IT for too long it seems. Made a note in the post above.

Link below explains it.
        http://www.codenamewindows.com/?p=376

I assume the retail versions are still transferrable? Just not the OEM versions?
        [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

I assume the retail versions are still transferrable? Just not the OEM versions?
          Correct

As far as Windows/Office being too expensive. Any parent can buy the student versions which are very cheap. There was a $99 special for student Office the other month and no compatibility issues.
          [url=http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12264]My Prado[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by bgreeni
            On using MS office - have a look at OpenOffice - it will do nearly everything you want office for and it is FREE.
            At $127 for the Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (Harvey Norman Retail Price) that can be installed onto 3 computers MS Office is pretty close to free and what some would consider an industry standard. Whilst I do use both keeping common with oters does seem to have its advantages

Comment

Originally posted by PradoBoy72
              At $127 for the Office 2007 Home and Student Edition (Harvey Norman Retail Price) that can be installed onto 3 computers MS Office is pretty close to free and what some would consider an industry standard. Whilst I do use both keeping common with oters does seem to have its advantages
              I think the original poster did mention needing Outlook which if I recall does not come in the Home & Student Edition, I had the same problem with the handbrake's laptop, she really is familiar with Windows, so when her old laptop was dying earlier this year I waited until October and bought her a new Dell with Windows 7. Seems to work fine for her, as she is also a student I picked up a copy of MS Office Pro, Academic Edition for around $200 and this has Outlook which she is very happy about.

Cost of the laptop was just over $1000 (note this is important) when it was all configured, then I applied one of the Dell Discount vouchers which I found using the PC forum at http://www.whirlpool.net.au just check out the Hardware/Notebook forum for the "current dell coupons / discount" thread and found a current discount coupon which gave %15 off if the notebook was > $1000, there was also a $50 bonus for buying on the day of the Win7 release so I got $200 off. This was the best deal I could find at the time. She is really happy with it, so I am happy.
              2008-12 D4D 5-Spd Auto Grande, Silver Ash, Full Window Tint, H-R Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Rhino-Racks, Rola Vortex Tray, GME TX3340, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, IPF900XS Spotlights, BFG 275/65R17

Comment

I have just stumbled onto this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents worth. For the last 24 years, I have worked exclusively in the retail computer industry as both a salesperson and builder/repairer for many retailers. Currently I am employed as a buyer of computers for one of Australia's largest electronics retailers. IMHO, buying a computer need not be a difficult excercise and there are a few simple rules.

Having worked for a "whitebox" (build to order) reseller for many years, I would not recommend you go down this path. Once upon a time, they offered better value than a name brand but, typically now days, they cannot compete with the big global brands on spec/price bang for buck. Buying from a major national retailer is also a good idea as they are not as likely to disappear overnight as a smaller, whitebox manufacturer.

MAC's are excellent, but simply can't match the PC for choice and availability of software, accessories and expertise.

Even the cheapest computers are capable of doing most of what you need. Buy the most your budget allows for as typically the more you by now, the longer it will last you before needing upgrading. Our chain is currently retailing a name brand PC with an Intel Quad Core processor, 4GB RAM, 1 Terrbyte HDD, 1GB dedicated Graphics and a 23" HD screen for under $1300 with Interest Free.

I would suggest don't buy a PC with less than a Dual Core processor and dedicated graphics of 512MB or more. AMD is OK and is generally $100 cheaper than an equivalent Intel. I7 is the latest and fastest processor. Also get the biggest screen you can afford, if you are not buying a laptop. RAM is generally cheap and easy to upgrade as is storage. You can now by a 1 terabyte external hard disk for $99. Good insurance for your photos.

Transfering your data from your old PC is also easy. Either use the aformentioned external hdd or this product is pretty handy for only $75 http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPa ... _Id=505340

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PPrado
                  Transfering your data from your old PC is also easy. Either use the aformentioned external hdd or this product is pretty handy for only $75 http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPa ... _Id=505340
                  Well you have pretty much nailed it and I agree with most of this.

I recently converted the handbrake's laptop from XP to Win 7. As we have a home network I merely connected both machines up and ran the transfer wizard over the network, it takes a while (she had a lot of data) but ran perfectly. From memory you launch this from the Win 7 system from the "Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools" menu and follow the prompts. Don't use a wireless network it will probably be too slow.

If you don't have a network then you will probably need the above cable.

Cheers OldGreyGuy
                  2008-12 D4D 5-Spd Auto Grande, Silver Ash, Full Window Tint, H-R Towbar, Cargo Barrier, Rhino-Racks, Rola Vortex Tray, GME TX3340, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, IPF900XS Spotlights, BFG 275/65R17

Comment

HI ALL. THANKS .CHEERS TINKERA
                    2004 DuneGLX UPDATE V6 FACTORY BULLBAR IN CABIN DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM ECLIPSE SAT NAV.REV CAM.DVD. CD.IPOD COMBO. COOPER HT TYRES.6DB MOBILE AERIAL HIGH GAIN FM AM AERIAL.ALL TOYOTA OPPS.JOEY REAR DOOR TABLE DIY SIDE SHADE.55LT FRIDGE FREEZER.300WATT INVERTER.

Comment

Just some thoughts.. I think you are better off to "build" your own through one of the larger chains. I bought a new media center 6 months ago and build it up from parts available through auspcmarket.com.au . The machine looks like an old amplifier from the front so a thief is less likely to steal it. I use it for photo edditing / storage and as a network storage for the mrs laptop.

I went for a quad core AMD (cheaper than intel), 4gb, 3x500gb drive (one set up as raid array - ie 2 drives working as one and duplicating onfo just in case one crashes), TV tuner, an old 40gb as the scratch drive to use for TV, wireless network, DVD burner (don't have blueray so no point buing a player), aditional fan for the case and additional usb and firewire ports (cards). I am also running shareware version of drive back up that backs up photos onto an external drive that I store at work in case we loose the pc. All this with a case and front display panel for it plus Vista OEM with disk for reinstall incase it crashes cost just on $2k.

Very happy with it. I am using our LCD TV as the main monitor with HDMI and an old 17in monitor for second monitor when we are watching TV.

Peter
                      [size=7][color=#0000BF]Late 2008 GXL D4D 6sp man, white, Sovereign bull bar, 2.5t tow bar, Head light protectors, Bonnet protector, Cargo mat, Front side window weathershields, Roof rack & bars, Dual bateries[/color][/size]

Comment

I have always built my own PC's, but the one I currently have I have to admit tested me to the limit. Previously, a simple bios flash to the latest version ensured pretty much plug everything in and away I went. PC was very unstable and I had to test each component in other motherboards for possible faults. Yah.... took ages. Try different power supply..... etc etc etc. It's the first Gigabyte motherboard I've ever bought and eventually I found a Gigabyte forum where a Tech gave me a list of parameters to try in the bios. Worked 98%, which is enough for me. I had to tweak memory timings and voltages along with quite a bit of other stuff, which is all fine but getting the time to do it was an issue for me at the time I built it. Long after the fact, it now appears the type of RAM I bought is known to glitch with the model of motherboard I bought. :roll: Even now, Vista will only successfully boot 4 out of 5 times. No other issues yet though and 2 years old now.

Anyhow, I guess my point is that even today, building a PC isn't always as trouble free as you'd expect. So make sure you have the time to invest in some extensive internet reading, testing, and phonecalls for help if it doesn't go to plan. That said, every other time I've built a PC has been a doddle. I guess something had to go wrong sooner or later. :?

Comment

I have always built my own PC's, but the one I currently have I have to admit tested me to the limit. Previously, a simple bios flash to the latest version ensured pretty much plug everything in and away I went. PC was very unstable and I had to test each component in other motherboards for possible faults. Yah.... took ages. Try different power supply..... etc etc etc. It's the first Gigabyte motherboard I've ever bought and eventually I found a Gigabyte forum where a Tech gave me a list of parameters to try in the bios. Worked 98%, which is enough for me. I had to tweak memory timings and voltages along with quite a bit of other stuff, which is all fine but getting the time to do it was an issue for me at the time I built it. Long after the fact, it now appears the type of RAM I bought is known to glitch with the model of motherboard I bought. :roll: Even now, Vista will only successfully boot 4 out of 5 times. No other issues yet though and 2 years old now.

Anyhow, I guess my point is that even today, building a PC isn't always as trouble free as you'd expect. So make sure you have the time to invest in some extensive internet reading, testing, and phonecalls for help if it doesn't go to plan. That said, every other time I've built a PC has been a doddle. I guess something had to go wrong sooner or later. :?
                          I agree building PC is not that easy. Since I am not in IT, but I know enough to be dangerous I usually build my own. What I do is start with the base system some of the PC manufacturer's have and build from there. So I use the mother board and power supply and then chanhge what I need to change. As a seperate order I put in additional drives, network and video cards.

I am also stuck with Vista for now as I bought the PC about 3 months before the upgrade offer. It is hopeless. We came back from holidays just before christmas, I booted up the server / media center and it connected to MS and downloaded updates that I previously set up as let me choose if I want to install. MS decided that I must install (aparently in Vista it's a default and the minute you install one it resets the option back to default) and then it took me further 2 hours to get TV working and another hour to get the sound working. Thanks Bill you know how to waste people's time. The update decided that my LCD TV is a 640x400 monitor, hence media center will not work and my preffered sound output is HDMI so it disabled all other outputs.

Mrs has just started a post grad course so she is an expensive student and there is a $49 offer to get a Windows 7 licence for tertiary students. I'll put that on her Vista laptop (that crashes and turns off randomly) and if it is good, I'll buy another licence for the server / media center. Part from Vista issues she has a 3yo HP laptop that outperforms my 1yo work IBM laptop with XP in everything including speed, battery life, resolution ... So put windows 7 on if they are right it will be much quicker than it is now as well.
                          [size=7][color=#0000BF]Late 2008 GXL D4D 6sp man, white, Sovereign bull bar, 2.5t tow bar, Head light protectors, Bonnet protector, Cargo mat, Front side window weathershields, Roof rack & bars, Dual bateries[/color][/size]

Comment

Originally posted by peteandkyles
                            I agree building PC is not that easy. Since I am not in IT, but I know enough to be dangerous I usually build my own. What I do is start with the base system some of the PC manufacturer's have and build from there. So I use the mother board and power supply and then chanhge what I need to change. As a seperate order I put in additional drives, network and video cards.
                            For those wanting to do this it is straight forward, I usually start with a empty case, install the Motherboard (ASUS, why bother with others that may not work) add in the CPU, RAM, power-supply, video card, drives and CD/DVD. With the general adoption of some standards like SATA, etc, it is no longer the challenge it used to be. The main thing to be aware of is that all your selections have to be compatible with each other.

Originally posted by peteandkyles
                            Mrs has just started a post grad course so she is an expensive student and there is a $49 offer to get a Windows 7 licence for tertiary students. I'll put that on her Vista laptop (that crashes and turns off randomly) and if it is good, I'll buy another licence for the server / media center. Part from Vista issues she has a 3yo HP laptop that outperforms my 1yo work IBM laptop with XP in everything including speed, battery life, resolution ... So put windows 7 on if they are right it will be much quicker than it is now as well.
                            I recently upgraded the Handbrake's laptop, Win 7 seems to be working for her. Where I am currently working we have XP on a range of laptops, by sheer coincidence I actually picked up a refurbished laptop of the same model but I run Linux on it as that is my preference, it is much quicker than the same models running XP. So much faster that I hate having to use the work laptop at all, or maybe that is just because it is work.

Comment

Where I work they supply Dell laptops. Fairly locked up so I can't do much with it. Have been there 4 years so is fairly old now. In there wisdom IT upgraded everyone to Office 2007.

I now have to go make a cup of tea while office starts, if it starts. Waiting on a new laptop but all new purchases have been put on hold due to IT budget running out of money :evil: :evil:
                              Dune colour GLX with Option pack, Bull bar, Tow bar, Cargo barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by bgreeni
                                Where I work they supply Dell laptops. Fairly locked up so I can't do much with it. Have been there 4 years so is fairly old now. In there wisdom IT upgraded everyone to Office 2007.

I now have to go make a cup of tea while office starts, if it starts. Waiting on a new laptop but all new purchases have been put on hold due to IT budget running out of money :evil: :evil:
                                It's not just where you work. All large and small business that have corporate licence have been told that 2003 will not be supported and if they don't upgrade now, then MS will not want to know them or help them.

I have a second desktop in my office preloaded with 2007 to figure out what doesn't work and probably about 50% of my files don't work correctly (and that's only the few I tried before frustration hit with the new stupic half screen tool bars). The tool bar takes up more room then most of the document...

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X