2013 Alice Springs Touring Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rob_macca67 View Post
    As the time is fast approaching, I'd thought I'd throw this out there...... Has anyone recently climbed Ayers Rock?

The info I have says that they would "Prefer" you don't climb the rock and respect their traditional beliefs but there is no band on climbing it yet..... has anyone been out there recently ???

Gday mate dont be put off by this. I used to be a guide out the rock and its the national parks way of being safety concious. If you want to climb it then climb it. Thousands of people after you will. But they will close the climb at every oppurtunity. Oh when in alice as i lived there for 26yrs in some of the caravan parks keep an eye on your belongings. Not scaring you but its realality. Alice and the surrounding areas are fantastic (especially after rain), be carefull on the road out to kings canyon on the dirt as its very rough. Its not reccomended for caravans. All in all enjoy your trip to the red centre sound like an awesome trip. (jealous)

Comment

Originally posted by rob_macca67 View Post
      As the time is fast approaching, I'd thought I'd throw this out there...... Has anyone recently climbed Ayers Rock?
      Yep, climbed it again about an hour ago, body is starting to stiffen up nicely now

Cheers Andrew
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120 View Post
        Yep, climbed it again about an hour ago, body is starting to stiffen up nicely now
        And the photo...?
        [B][SIZE=4]ntp
        [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
        [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
        [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by ntp View Post
          And the photo...?
          I have them, wait for the trip report on my return! Letsgoplaces also climbed with me, heading to his place in the APY lands tomorrow.

Cheers Andrew

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120 View Post

Cheers Andrew
            Lucky Bugger there Andrew.... we ended up staying another day in hope of being able to climb it as the missus really wanted to climb it. She actually shed a tear when they closed it the 2nd day, so being the good husband, I told her we will stay another day to try again..... but again w/o luck as there was a bit of a breeze..... Needless to say the missus wasn't happy. Last time I climbed it, there was way more wind and we didn't have any problems......
            One of the guys we spoke to told us that a couple of fellas ignored the closed signs and climbed it.... but when they got back down they were hit with a $5000 fine.....not sure if that's a slight stretch of the truth or not.....

Anyhow, we headed off to Kings Canyon, then up the Finke Gorge Track (found the best campspot of the trip) then into Palm Valley and then onto Goose Bluff and worked our way back to Alice where we restocked and headed off nth and onto the Sandover Hwy, then onto the Binns Track and into Davenport Ranges NP and Frew 4WD Track into Old Policemans Waterhole. Got to say, we've had the worst windy weather for the past 2 days which made this section a unpleasant part of the trip.... The dust was really bad & our tent blew down twice..... needless to say we couldn't wait to get out of there..... With good weather it would be a nice place but there was little to no grass and the littlest bit of wind makes it a bit of a dust bowl..... We had to bypass Whistleduck Waterhole.... Has anyone been there and is it a nicer place than Policeman's W/H?

Currently we're in Tennant Creek resting/cleaning up b4 making the long trip back home.....
            [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
            [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
            [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
            [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
            [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

The climb was actually closed when we got to Yulara due to wind, even though it was dead calm. We drove out to the rock and they had just opened the climb, so we headed up while we had the chance. This was my second visit and the second time the climb was opened just as I arrived

I would have been pissed if it stayed closed.

Sounds like your enjoying your trip anyway, which is the main thing.

Cheers Andrew

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Left Windy Tennant Creek, NT behind today and had a good run and was able to cover some 800kms and make it to Cloncurry..... Getting closer to home now...... Got to say the weather out here in Cloncurry is great, no too cold or hot....
                [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
                [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Hey Rob,

It was good we weren't in Palm Valley on Monday as it got 40mm of rain - not sure if we would have got out with that much. Now in Boulia on the way home so we'll keep an eye out for you again.
                  Ok, I now drive an FJ Cruiser but did have an 90 series Prado for 11 years and before that, 4Runners from 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by outdoorgaz View Post
                    Hey Rob,

It was good we weren't in Palm Valley on Monday as it got 40mm of rain - not sure if we would have got out with that much. Now in Boulia on the way home so we'll keep an eye out for you again.
                    Hey Gary...

We ended up getting home Thursday Night around 6pm.... would have earlier, but for the multitude of roadworks along the Warrego Hwy that held us up for a good 2+hrs.... We put in a couple big days driving and managed to get from Tennant Ck on Tuesday to home Thursday night....

Yes, it would have been very interesting if we had rain at Palm Valley..... Davenport Ranges was not all that pleasant due to the high Winds we had.... Blew our tent over twice and it was a bit of a Dust bowl as well. We had planned to stay 2 nights but with the wind we got out of there after only 1 night. Would be a nice place w/o the wind though....

Hope u got home safe and sound......Talk to u soon..... Let the clean up begin

Comment

It is a long drive home from the NT - glad you made it back safely.

We Made it home last night - Augathella to Brisvegas. Got stuck in road works from Mitchell to Marburg which added about 2 hours to the trip. It was a great three week trip with many firsts for me including Simpson crossing and seeing the Rock. Was very impressed with the Red Centre and will make it there again one day.

For now, there is one very dusty vehicle that needs unpacking, cleaning and returning to a daily drive rather than an outback tourer.
                      Ok, I now drive an FJ Cruiser but did have an 90 series Prado for 11 years and before that, 4Runners from 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by outdoorgaz View Post
                        It is a long drive home from the NT - glad you made it back safely.

We Made it home last night - Augathella to Brisvegas. Got stuck in road works from Mitchell to Marburg which added about 2 hours to the trip. It was a great three week trip with many firsts for me including Simpson crossing and seeing the Rock. Was very impressed with the Red Centre and will make it there again one day.

For now, there is one very dusty vehicle that needs unpacking, cleaning and returning to a daily drive rather than an outback tourer.
                        Yep, we struck the same flamin road works as well and delayed us by a few hrs too..... Just finished cleaning the Prado and putting away some of the camping gear.... still more to go though

Comment

Here's some brief info of our 2013 Central Australia Trip

Pictures can be seen here (I will add pics when I get time): 2013 Central Australia Trip Pics

or try this link for a more detailed Trip Report plus the Tracklog of where we went: Trip log and Pics of 2013 Central Australia Trip

Day-1: (21-Jun)
                          Left HOME @ 2.45; stopped around 4.30pm
                          Refuelling: Blackall - BP: 119.35 ltrs // $167.26 // 995 kms // 140cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Blackall Free camp site
                          Distance: 988kms
                          Driving Time only: 10.93hrs

Day-2: (22-Jun)
                          Left Blackall at 8.35am and stopped About 122kms from Winton, found a place to camp on the side of the road around 4pm.
                          Refuelling: Winton - Caltex: 48.37 ltrs // $74.44 // 402 kms //153.90 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: On the Road between Boulia and Winton (122kms from Winton)
                          Distance: 524kms
                          Driving Time only: 5.97hrs

Day-3: (23-Jun)
                          Up early again & pulled up at Arthur River at 16.00 (qld Time)
                          Refuelling: Boulia - Choice: 47.29 ltrs // $83.18 // 370 kms // 175.89 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Arthur River along the Plenty Hwy
                          Distance: 655kms
                          Driving Time only: 7.08hrs

Day-4: (24-Jun)
                          Left 08.30am and then headed to our campsite for the night - Heavitree Gap Outback Park at around 3pm
                          Refuelling: Alice Springs - Shell: 103.37 ltrs // $175.63 // 827 kms // 169.90 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Alice Springs - Heavitree Gap Outback Lodge/Caravan Park
                          Distance: 423kms
                          Driving Time only: 4.80hrs

Day-5: (25-Jun)
                          Left Camp at around 10am and headed out to the National Truck Museum (4hrs well spent, could have been more); then went next door to the Ghan Train Museum - bad mistake and not worth the $$ to get in. Headed off towards Chambers Pillar arriving at the campgrounds at 5pm
                          Stopover: Chambers Pillar Campgrounds
                          Distance: 164kms
                          Driving Time only: 2.42hrs

Day-6: (26-Jun)
                          Did the usual look/walk around Chambers Pillar and The Castle. After Morning Tea, our next destination Rainbow Valley. Turned off onto the Hugh River Stock Route and travelled along this road until half way and decided to take a side track that would hopeful bring us into Rainbow Valley from the eastern side and not the usual way from the Stuart Hwy. As it turned out, this was definitely a more direct route but also rough & corrugated in places & we had to ask for directions in the aboriginal community we passed through. We did the usual walks and looking around, etc. and had Lunch there as well. After Lunch headed off down Hwy via Henbury Meteorite craters, then backtracked out to the Hwy and down towards the T/O to Ayers Rock. Found a nice little secluded area along the Stuart Hwy for the night as it was starting to rain.
                          Stopover: Along Stuart Hwy - 36kms Nth from Erldunda
                          Distance: 276kms
                          Driving Time only: 4.15hrs

Day-7: (27-Jun)Left our roadside camp at 9.22 and headed sth to refuel at Erldunda b4 heading west towards Ayers Rock. Finally reached the Yulara Resort campgrounds around 13.00. After lunch, etc. we headed off to the Rock to do the walks & pics (almost lost my SLR camera when I accidently left it on the bonnet and didn’t realise until we were some distance down the road). With time & light running out we headed back to camp realising that there would be no sunset photo opportunity due to cloud cover. Made it back at around 6.45pm (QT)
                          Refuelling: Erldunda - Shell: 66.69 ltrs // $131.38 // 480 kms // 197.00 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Yulara Resort Campgrounds
                          Distance: 343kms
                          Driving Time only: 4.43hrs

Day-8: (28-Jun)

Stopover: Yulara Resort Campgrounds
                          Distance: 145kms
                          Driving Time only: 2.03hrs

Day-9: (29-Jun)Refuelling: Yulara Resort - Shell: 54.62 ltrs // $118.38 // 453 kms // 216.73 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Roadside Camp 11kms from Yulara Campgrounds
                          Distance: 53kms
                          Driving Time only: 0.93hrs

Day-10: (30-Jun)Refuelling: Yulara Resort - Shell: 14.52 ltrs // $31.46 // 102 kms // 216.67 cents/ltr
                          Refuelling: Kings Canyon Resort - Shell: 39.25 ltrs // $91.47 // 327 kms // 233.04 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Kings Canyon Resort Campgrounds
                          Distance: 376kms
                          Driving Time only: 4.37hrs

Day-11: (1-Jul)
                          Stopover: Finke River Gorge Track - Along the banks of the Finke River
                          Distance: 230kms
                          Driving Time only: 3.00hrs

Day-12: (2-Jul)Stopover: Palm Valley Campgrounds
                          Distance: 88kms
                          Driving Time only: 3.60hrs

Day-13: (3-Jul)Stopover: Glen Helen Resort - campgrounds
                          Distance: 159kms
                          Driving Time only: 2.72hrs

Day-14: (4-Jul)Stopover: Namatjira Dve - 5kms East of Point Howard Lookout off the side of the Road
                          Distance: 88kms
                          Driving Time only: 1.37hrs

Day-15: (5-Jul)Stopover: Alice Springs - Heavitree Gap Outback Lodge/Caravan Park
                          Distance: 139kms
                          Driving Time only: 2.05hrs

Day-16: (6-Jul)Refuelling: Alice Springs - Shell: 102.49 ltrs // $178.23 // 711 kms // 173.90 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Binns Track - 42kms WSW of Hatches Creek along Binns Track (Davenport ranges NP)
                          Distance: 440kms
                          Driving Time only: 4.58hrs

Day-17: (7-Jul)Stopover: Binns Track - Old Policemans Waterhole (Davenport ranges NP)
                          Distance: 75kms
                          Driving Time only: 2.57hrs

Day-18: (8-Jul)Refuelling: Tennant Creek - BP: 106.96 ltrs // $184.93 // 796 kms // 172.90 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Tennant Creek - Eldorado Motor Inn
                          Distance: 298kms
                          Driving Time only: 3.67hrs

Day-19: (9-Jul)Refuelling: Mt Isa - Shell: 96.89 ltrs // $156.86 // 673 kms // 161.89 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Cloncurry - Wal's Camp
                          Distance: 793kms
                          Driving Time only: 7.63hrs

Day-20: (10-Jul)Refuelling: Longreach - Shell: 94.77 ltrs // $153.43 // 660 kms // 161.90 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: Tambo Nth Rest Area - Landsborough Hwy - 21kms Nth of Tambo
                          Distance: 823kms
                          Driving Time only: 8.15hrs

Day-21: (11-Jul)Refuelling: Dalby - BP: 129.61 ltrs // $202.06 // 973 kms // 155.90 cents/ltr
                          Refuelling: Albany Creek - BP: 27.85 ltrs // $43.70 // 220 kms // 156.91 cents/ltr
                          Stopover: HOME
                          Distance: 910kms
                          Driving Time only: 10.63hrs

Fuel Usage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	economy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	644841Click image for larger version

Name:	economy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	644841
                          rob_macca67
                          Avid PP Poster!
                          Last edited by rob_macca67; 18-07-2013, 11:42 AM. Reason: fixed up links

Comment

Fantastic Rob. Have just found this thread after not dialling in to Pradopoint for some time. We're planning a very similar trip , leaving in less than a fortnight. Have a little more time available, so mightn't be quite so ambitious with some of the daily distances. Towing the camper will also slow us down a little. Hope to get to Lawn Hill and Undara Lava Tubes on the way home.Will forget about Old Policeman's Waterhole after reading your report.
                            How was the Donahue Highway / Plenty Highway section?
                            Thanks for your very helpful reporting.
                            Travelman1

Comment

Originally posted by Travelman1 View Post
                              Fantastic Rob. Have just found this thread after not dialling in to Pradopoint for some time. We're planning a very similar trip , leaving in less than a fortnight. Have a little more time available, so mightn't be quite so ambitious with some of the daily distances. Towing the camper will also slow us down a little. Hope to get to Lawn Hill and Undara Lava Tubes on the way home.Will forget about Old Policeman's Waterhole after reading your report.How was the Donahue Highway / Plenty Highway section?Thanks for your very helpful reporting.Travelman1
                              The Plenty Hwy was in good condition... The Donohue Hwy.... well, its like any other Qld road, it has its good and bad patches....

The Sandover Hwy was the surprise for me. I had never travelled along it b4 and was expecting a rough road, but it was in great condition and even contained a fair bit of the black stuff. I don't know how far the black stuff goes as we turned off north onto the Binns Track....

Lawn Hill was a fantastic place when we were there in '93, not sure what it would be like but believe the road is good as my Uncle is taking his 22" foot road caravan up there in the coming weeks....

Have fun.....

Comment

Helo Rob-macca67,

Great trip, been to all of those places over several trips and loved it. Add Finke gorge to your visit to Palm Valley.

I find averageing 200 km per day allows time to smell the roses, any lass gets to be too much.

Take more time and it will be a trip to remember in safety.

regards

Ross

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X