Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Places & Things to avoid when visiting Cape York...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Places & Things to avoid when visiting Cape York...

Guys....
    I know there's plenty of info on Cape York, but I haven't too much info on "What to Avoid" when you're up at the Cape so I thought I would ask the question here..... These would be places where u would be better off using that time else where up at The Cape.... if u know what I mean....

Places that I've read to avoid was Ussher Point (reason unknown) and Portland Roads (sth of Chilli Beach). I never found out the reasons why.... maybe due to it always being windy...

So, for those that have been up there, I'm looking at places where people believe that our time would be better spent esle where....

Is Thursday Island worth a visit ??

Let the list begin.....

cheers....
    [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
    [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

We went to Portland Roads
    [SIZE=2]Black 2009 150 Series D4D GXL Prado, [B]TG150[/B] Transfer Case & Actuator Guard, TJM T13 bar, TJM 9.5lb Winch, Airtec Snorkel, TJM steel sidesteps and sidebars, TJM Underbody Protection, TJM XGS Gold Suspension, Tinted, ARB Fridge Freezer, Couplertec System, Foxwing Awning, 80AH Dual battery, 8" indash GPS, Wet Seat seatcovers, GME TX3540, TX3110 & TX680, [B][COLOR=#ff6633]Maxtrax[/COLOR][/B], Kaymar Dual Wheel Carrier, Breathers, Federal MT's.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Brains View Post
      We went to Portland Roads
      Was it worth the visit ?
      We do plan on going to chilli beach & I know it not far from there.... I'm assuming it was windy as...
      [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
      [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by rob_macca67 View Post
        Was it worth the visit ?
        We do plan on going to chilli beach & I know it not far from there.... I'm assuming it was windy as...
        Hi Rob, at Portland Roads there is a small cafe so we decided to get proper coffees and Iced Coffees with ice cream. It was a worthwhile stop as the proprietor gace us a run down on the past and present history.

Chilli Beach was similar to when I was last there...WINDY. It always is, however the camp sites are behind the low dunes so bearable.

Cape Melville is a must, even if you go in the short way from Kalpower, try and get there early enough to set up at the end of the beach closet to the Cape as it is a bit more scenic.

We stayed at Running Creek on the way back and again another cracking spot, out on the east coast south of the Stewart River. There aren't any facilities it is bush camping but an awesome spot to relax.

Plenty more I will take the map next outing and give you a run down.

See ya on the tracks, Richo.
        [B]Former [/B]Party Leader, [B]Now[/B] SDO SEQLD GTG 2015 PFA (Pradopoint Fairy Advisor)
        [B]Bitumen - A Blatant Waste of Taxpayers Money[/B]

Comment

When we went up a couple of years ago we really liked Chilli Beach, The camp site we managed to get was perfectly protected and we had no wind issues at all. There isn't much at Portland Roads, but it was good for a fish off the bank and as Richo mentioned the cafe was a perfect location for lunch and a relax on their balcony.

One spot we were recommended to go that would be a definite avoid is Port Stewart. Unless we went to the wrong spot it was a mossie infested mud flats. So needless to say we turned straight around and got out of there.
          Paul
          2003 V6 Auto Grande Pearl White

Comment

One spot we were recommended to go that would be a definite avoid is Port Stewart. Unless we went to the wrong spot it was a mossie infested mud flats. So needless to say we turned straight around and got out of there.[/QUOTE]

Yes Port Stewart only for mad keen fishermen.
            [B]Former [/B]Party Leader, [B]Now[/B] SDO SEQLD GTG 2015 PFA (Pradopoint Fairy Advisor)

Comment

Rob

Also if you want to purchase alcohol just be aware that there are numerous regulations and time frames, eg no cask wine before 4.00pm just about everywhere (including the CBD of Cairns), no spirits in bottles and no more than 1 ctn of beer or 1 ctn of pre mixes and 2 litres of wine, north of the Jardine in the car, you can however make several trips to the pub and have as much as you like at the campsite, how's that for a beauty.

Fuel was about $1.75 to $2.00/lt most places but Bamaga was by far the most expensive at $2.45/lt. Groceries at Cooktown IGA and Woolies Weipa and IGA Bamaga, also small general store at Coen.

Comment

Hey richo. thanks for that..... looks like we might be going for 4>5wks so knowing where to top up with food is good to know...

rob

Originally posted by Richoson View Post
                Rob

Also if you want to purchase alcohol just be aware that there are numerous regulations and time frames, eg no cask wine before 4.00pm just about everywhere (including the CBD of Cairns), no spirits in bottles and no more than 1 ctn of beer or 1 ctn of pre mixes and 2 litres of wine, north of the Jardine in the car, you can however make several trips to the pub and have as much as you like at the campsite, how's that for a beauty.

Fuel was about $1.75 to $2.00/lt most places but Bamaga was by far the most expensive at $2.45/lt. Groceries at Cooktown IGA and Woolies Weipa and IGA Bamaga, also small general store at Coen.

Comment

Has anyone gone to Ussher Point at all? If so, what is it like?

Comment

Hey Rob,

Sorry Mate, never been to Ussher Point - never even heard of it.

I am no expert by any means, but I have done a couple of Cape York trips now and we have another one planned for June next year. Here is a bit of info that I hope you might find helpful.

Portland Roads is North of Chili Beach, and like the others have said, there is nothing much there, but it is worth the trip up from Chili Beach just for the cafe' as it is only about 5 or 6k from the Chili Beach turnoff. Chili beach is nice, but again it was windy when we were there as well. We only stay at Chili for one night and basically use it as a relax day before the Frenchman's track - we drove from Archer River and went straight to the cafe for lunch, then set up camp and had a fish at Chili Beach. On the way out the next day we went to the Supermarket at Lockhardt River to stock up and then onto the Frenchmans track.

We stay on the banks of the Archer River (northern side on the Right when heading up) for a couple of days, it is nice and peaceful, however if you can, avoid it on a Friday and Saturday Night as the "Locals" sometimes have loud partys on these evenings. If you arrive these days, check it out first but perhaps look at staying at the Archer River Roadhouse instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Archer River - View from camp looking at bridge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	645118

I really enjoy our one night stays at Moreton Telegraph Station on the way up and again on the way back. Good Showers, Clean water to fill tanks and a great setting on the banks of the Wenlock. Good place to try for a Barra as well.

Name:	Moreton Telegraph Station.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	645119

On the Tele, don't be in a rush. Take the time to stop and enjoy every aspect as this is the main attraction. The tip is great, but it really is all about the journey and not the destination. If you rush it because you are anxious to get to the tip you will regret it. We spend a couple of nights at the Gunshot, trying to coax "customers" to come down the tough drop rather than the "chicken track". This will really open your eyes to what is out there on the tracks with you. Be afraid! We also spend a couple of nights at Elliott Falls and IMO this is a minimum 2 night stop. We have never camped at the Nolan's Brook crossing, but I really wish we did. There is so much action to see at this crossing I think you would be completely entertained for an afternoon at least. Just watching the "experts" barking orders, waiving arms and still getting stuck. This is a hard crossing and even the best prepared people who do everything right sometimes end up in a bad situation and their car full of water. However with caution, a good line, sufficient time between cars to allow the bottom to re-settle, correct tyre pressures and a precautionary strap on the front to a waiting tow car will see you through without incident everytime.

Name:	Old Tele Track - Gunshot Creek - The Gunshot entry.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	645120Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Tele Track - Eliot Falls - Twin Falls.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	645121

Loyalty Beach is always our campground of choice at the tip. I think a minimum of 2 nights is required here. They have a great open air restaurant, a large Shower block and clothes washing facilities. If you are going to do a trip to Thursday Island, a Fishing Charter or 4x4 repairs you will need additional nights. There is plenty to see here and good supermarkets at both Seisa and Bamaga.

If you are a Fisherman, Vrylia Point is a must for a couple of days either on the way up or the way back. In 2012, the road into Vrylia was the worst corregated road we experienced on the trip, but worth it. From memory the turnoff is about 30k south of the Jardine River Ferry or about 5k south of where the OTT meet Bamaga Road (Northern bypass road). We camped at Southern Vrylia. There is a boat wreck at the north and a campground, however we had some inside information that the fishing was better at the south. There is no designated campground at the South just awesome beach camping. There is also freshwater creek that you cross about 2k before you hit the beach. Ideal for bathing or drinking. When you drive in, there is a bit of an intersection at the top of a point. Take the track to the Right for North and the track left for the South. We saw a very large crocodile here as well as plenty of feral pigs. The ocean here is just alive with Fish, Dolphins, birds and sharks.

Name:	Vrilya Point - comp.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	645117

If you have done Chili beach and Vrylia Point, I see no point of driving into Captain Billy's Landing, as it is generally windy and similar scenery to Chili.

I went to Weipa the first time we went up, however we swerved it the second. If you have never been, I would spend a day or so there (maybe arrange a Barra fishing Charter), however the road across is a bit ordinary and very busy. Nothing much to see at either Mapoon or New Mapoon.

The Creb Track and the Lion's Den Hotel is an absolute must see. It gives an opportunity to explore Cooktown as well as experiencing the Daintree in it's purest form. However if the Creb is closed and or it looks like any rain at all, swerve it as you will not believe how slippery that red clay can get and there are some very steep climbs! If this is the case, the Bloomfield Track back through Cape Tribulation, Cow Bay and across the Daintree Ferry is a good alternative. Creb or Bloomfield it is really only a day trip from the Lion's Den to Cairns.

If you are looking for something a bit different, to start our second trip we drove from Cairns to Palmer River Roadhouse for the night and then tackled the "Old Coach Road" from the Maytown Ruins through to Laura. There is some awesome views, historical old gold mining sites and equipment and great 4x4ing along this route. This is a pretty good start to the trip and will get your sense of adventure into full swing. Allow a minimum of 1 night camping along the coach road as it is tough in places and pretty slow going. 2 nights would be better as you can slow down and enjoy it more. Not a track I would recommend travelling with just one vehicle.

Cape Melville and Bathurst Bay is worth a couple of nights. For me there was not much at Kalpowar and Old Laura really didn't excite me too much either.

Hann River Roadhouse is a great spot and they make an awesome Burger as well. There is a nice grassy campground and hot Showers. They also have a resident emu that roams the campgroud and will take bread right out of your hand. They also have peacocks, horses and cattle. Kids loved it. Not more than a passing stop or an overnighter if needed though.

I really don't think you can go wrong with whatever route you choose - there are the popular places and then there are the out of the way places and only you will know if a particular spot was your cup of tea. After all, you are up the cape so who cares, you will find adventure where every you decide to go!
                    The Alberto
                    Last edited by The Alberto; 13-08-2013, 04:50 PM.
                    2012 D4D GXL Auto - Graphite with some TJM enhancement.
                    [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27018-Alberto-s-150-Graphite-GXL-D4D"]My Build Up[/URL]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE][COLOR="#800080"][/COLOR][I][/I][B]A Truly Happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery whilst on a detour!!![/B]

Comment

Not much at Usher Point, been a while since I was there 1999 to be exact. The main camp site then was okay, it's a pretty barren wind swept place as much of the East Coats is this time of year. We went there looking for some of the WW2 yank Airacobra wrecks along the shoreline, walked as far south as Logan Jack Creek. Not really worth a visit for a touristy type jaunt. We stayed two nights there from memory, would not bother going back. I though Muttee Head was the best spot on the Cape, but I never hear anyone talk about it lately, is it out of bounds now?
                      Snowy

Comment

speaking first hand, avoid Nolans x 2 unless already hooked up to be towed all the way thru, too risky with all the electrics in the rig.

Cheers Derek
                        Blue Storm 150 GXL 4D4 PRADO and 2014 Cub Brumby Camper My rig build [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?25698-Derek11-s-2012-Blue-Storm-150-GXL-build-up[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by derek11 View Post
                          speaking first hand, avoid Nolans x 2 unless already hooked up to be towed all the way thru, too risky with all the electrics in the rig.

Cheers Derek
                          I don't know about that. I think if you get out and walk it so you know where you are going and you prep the vehicle, we used water bras and taped up the drain holes in the doors as this is where the water finds it's unobstructed way into the vehicle.

Don't belt into the water but rather get set up by dropping the front in and then when ready, gently accelerating through the water crossing. We took 6 cars through all the crossings this year and Nolan's was not that difficult with all vehicles through without any incidence.

After walking it I was confident to drive through and as I was first in our convoy had no one to pull me out had it all gone wrong. But I set up for the crossing walked so I knew where I wanted to put my wheels and drove the Prado through the crossing.

Nolan's is part of the OTT experience as is all the crossings. When we got to Palm Creek there were heaps of cars turning to take the Development Road around it. Even though it took us 2.5 hours to get our vehicles through it was worth it to complete the entire OTT.
                          [SIZE=2]Black 2009 150 Series D4D GXL Prado, [B]TG150[/B] Transfer Case & Actuator Guard, TJM T13 bar, TJM 9.5lb Winch, Airtec Snorkel, TJM steel sidesteps and sidebars, TJM Underbody Protection, TJM XGS Gold Suspension, Tinted, ARB Fridge Freezer, Couplertec System, Foxwing Awning, 80AH Dual battery, 8" indash GPS, Wet Seat seatcovers, GME TX3540, TX3110 & TX680, [B][COLOR=#ff6633]Maxtrax[/COLOR][/B], Kaymar Dual Wheel Carrier, Breathers, Federal MT's.[/SIZE]

Comment

I agree with you about how to set up for Nolans Brains, and if the water level was lower (we were one of the first thru 2012), we might have been right, it is one of the experience of going up OTT, but what i'm saying is to be properly set up before attempting the crossing, still drive thru under own steam to say I've done it, but have that strap hook up if the vehicles before you have made sludge on the bottom of Nolans.

Cheers Derek

P.S. hanging out to read more on your Cape York trip Brains
                            Blue Storm 150 GXL 4D4 PRADO and 2014 Cub Brumby Camper My rig build [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?25698-Derek11-s-2012-Blue-Storm-150-GXL-build-up[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Richoson View Post
                              Hi Rob, at Portland Roads there is a small cafe so we decided to get proper coffees and Iced Coffees with ice cream. It was a worthwhile stop as the proprietor gace us a run down on the past and present history.

Chilli Beach was similar to when I was last there...WINDY. It always is, however the camp sites are behind the low dunes so bearable.

Cape Melville is a must, even if you go in the short way from Kalpower, try and get there early enough to set up at the end of the beach closet to the Cape as it is a bit more scenic.

We stayed at Running Creek on the way back and again another cracking spot, out on the east coast south of the Stewart River. There aren't any facilities it is bush camping but an awesome spot to relax.

Plenty more I will take the map next outing and give you a run down.

Cape Melville seems to be luck of the draw, we went out there with intentions of overnighting, it was so windy the sand and dust were whipping our skin, so we retreated

Chilli Beach was great, we chose the camp grounds on the beach at the far end which were pretty well protected from wind, but it wasn't too windy those days

Portland Road, they had run out of supplies so no food/coffees for us but it looked like a great little spot

Captain Billy Landing, after a great afternoon under the trees on the beach etc we had 30 minutes of high wind and rain and then all clear again.

Moreton Telegraph Station, well grassed camping grounds, friendly owners, good facilities

There is a IGA like store at Seisa if Bamaga doesn't have what you need

Camp more nights at Eliot/Twin Falls especially if you are ducking in and out of the OTT as a great little spot and fruit vat falls are only down the road

If you are doing Nolans make sure you are prepared, the lack of urgency in the group of that drowned Prado was interesting. It is sand on soft mud, space crossing by 20 to 30 minutes, low tyre pressure, have strap already attached (have someone ready to grab it) or a lot of people have a couple of extension straps with both sides driving together just in case of a bogging. Walk it first as it changes daily as to deep holes etc

fuel at the Jardine Ferry was 10c per litre cheaper than Bamaga in 2012

Negative was overflowing rubbish at any site where there were bins provided on the OTT ie Gunshot, Nolans
                              JoshF
                              Advanced Member
                              Last edited by JoshF; 14-08-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti