X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK... time to go

The Rivers Junction

The Lock

The Perry Sandhills - A Bit disappointed as the sign said no driving on the duns yet there was wheel marks everywhere.... sort lost a bit of its appeal

Day-12: Up early again to a wet & a very cold camp. Managed to pack up and head off up the slipperly dirt road, coating the side of the car and trailer with red dirt/mud. We continued following the Anabranch Rd all the

way north where it meets the Hwy where we turned Sth for a bit then crossed the Hwy and followed Old Broken Hill Rd nth through some nice country (when the fog finally lifted). Ment up with the Hwy and then turned

north towards Broken Hill. Upon reaching Broken Hill we headed out to the Racecourse to setup camp to dry out before heading off to check some of the local sites out (Sculptures of the Desert & Jack Absaloms Art

Gallery). From there it was back to camp & knowing our luck, probably another cold shower
    Distance Travelled: 327 kms
    Driving Time: 4hrs 32min
    Trailer starting to change colours
    [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
    [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Our camp for the next 2 nights - ready for the races

Day-13: We decided to stay a 2nd night at the Racecourse in Broken Hill and just go around to visit some of the other local attractions within Broken Hill. Headed of to visit the The Big Picture (Fantastic paintings, prints

and the BIG PICTURE) / Silver Mint & Chocolate Shop, then did a quick drive around town, visiting the Big Ant, Mining Memorial, the onto Bells Milk Bar before heading over to the Royal Flying Doctor Service to do the tour

and look around – very interesting on how it's all become modern, etc. As the daylight was coming to a end it was back to camp.
      Distance Travelled: 32 kms
      Driving Time: 0hrs 51min
      Sights around Broken Hill (Desert Sculptures)

List of ALL the mining deaths in the Broken Hill area - last one was in 2007 apparently

[B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
      [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

BIG seat for the little people

[imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MnGMo_Zunrk/V47DhvK2PFI/AAAAAAAAVZY/XM_xFCrwrDc5HUQfLa3UBqnd_exRYZvqwCCo/s640/2016DarlingRiverRunTrip-resized%2B%2B%25281547%2529.JPG[/img]

RFDS base

1st Aid Box that ALL Homesteads had

Day-14: Woke up to a HEAVY Fog and windy day, so had a late breaky and slowly packed up & headed out towards Silverton, calling into the The Day Dream Mine tour. We ended up just doing the Surface Mine tour

due to the cost for a family of 5 (done under mines tours b4, so wasn't a biggy). On our return from the tour, we had freshly made scones and hot coffee, tea and milo for the kids. Left there and headed into Silverton

just as the fog finally decided to lift. Upon reaching Silverton, we visited the usual local tourist spots - Mad Max Museum, the local stone buildings before making our way down to the Silverton Pub for Lunch.
        After lunch

we headed off to the Mundi Mundi Plains Lookout then onto the VERY dry Umberumberka Dam and then we eventually found a good spot well off the side of the the road for the nights camp."
        Distance Travelled: 102 kms
        Driving Time: 1hrs 48min

Comment

Photo around theDay Dream Mine out near Silverton (Heavy fog in the area that never lifted until the afternoon)

Photos around Silverton

Comment

A few of the local characters:

Umberumberka Dam where all the local Top-soil has ended up - no water to be seen

Campfire #3 being constructed - for Cate's Birthday cake:

Comment

Day-15: Tried for another early rise due to the BIG day that we head before us, but yet again we woke to another heavy fog. We were going to try and get to Tibooburra for daughter's 14th birthday meal at the Pub, so

we headed off nth to a fine day once the fog eventually decided to lift. The plan was to head north and then follow along the Dingo Fence (SA/NSW border) until we reached Hawkers Gate, where we would turn east

towards Milparinka and finally Tibooburra for the night. Along the way we started seeing a notice board that the homesteaders wanted us to call into their HS to advise them of our passing through. We did this once or

twice but gave up as there no response. Reached the Dog Fence (SA/NSW) border and had lunch. Found out that a stone had taken out our watertank outlet and we lost all the water in the tank under the trailer....

wasn't too phased as I still had 65ltrs inside the car. We reached Hawkers Gate then turned east reaching Pooles Grave, Depot Glen Sturts Cairn. From here we headed to the old town of Milparinka and then turned nth

onto the Silverton Hwy reaching Tibooburra late in the day. Managed to squeeze into the local caravan park. Set up camp and managed to score another cold shower before heading up to the local pub for a meal…….

Almost 2hrs after ordering our meals we finally got our food, scoffed it down & then headed back to camp for bed.
              Distance Travelled: 403 kms
              Driving Time: 6hrs 09min

Another foggy morning

Fog eventually lifted in time for some sunrise photos
              [imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oCtYhAR0Wr4/V47E1pIb2_I/AAAAAAAAVeg/s1sRbb3e1OMOn4hv--NghjBRM99WQjLbgCCo/s720/2016DarlingRiverRunTrip-resized%2B%2B%25281890%2529.JPG][/img]

On the road to the Road Less Travelled

Meeting point of the Dog Fence/SA-NSW border

They obviously had some good rain out here:

Comment

Around Depot Glen & Pooles Grave

Coming into Tibooburra

Our Campsite for the night

Comment

Day-16: Early rise as we had a BIG day again, so after refuelling we headed west towards Cameron's corner. Reached Fort Grey campgrounds then turned east onto Middle road to do the loop road to the QLD/NSW

border then down onto Gorge Loop road, The Jump-ups Lookout and onto Mount Wood Station, stopping into see the usual sights along the way. From Mount Woods Stn, it was back to Tibooburra to refuel and then

headed south to free camp for the night along Thompsons creek.
                  Distance Travelled: 338 kms
                  Driving Time: 5hrs 09min

Waka claypan

Dry lake next to Fort Grey Campgrounds

Old Olive Downs HS

Tennis Court

storage shed

Comment

Place even had its own swimming Pool

The Jump Ups Lookout

A abandon Outstation

Comment

Old Mount Woods Station & surrounds

Comment

Our camp for the night

Day-17: Up again to start the fire and have our 1st Bacon & Eggs for breaky of the trip. Once we cleaned up, it was off to Milparinka to explore and look around before heading off down the Silver City Hwy to

Packsaddles R/H for lunch. Along the way we passed Elisa’s Grave and was surprised to see water in the nearby lake Cobham.
                        After lunch, we decided to take a chance and try a take a shortcut down to Mutawintji NP

via Nundora & Marrapina Homesteads as this would be the shortest route to our distination. Unfortunately when we got to the turnoff point @ Nundora HS before heading south. and I stopped to ask the local Homestead

if we could travel down that way and he told us he & his neighbour would prefer if we didn't. So we kept on heading east, which was going to add a fair bit of time and distance onto our journey to the NP. We eventually

reached the park around 4pm and setup up camp just before it started raining.
                        Distance Travelled: 365 kms
                        Driving Time: 4hrs 29min

Milparinka

Our camp at Mutawintji NP

Comment

Day-18: Well, what a 1st night we had out here…. Around 10pm some drunk driver came hooning into the camp, I thought he was just a late arrival who couldn't reverse for nuts. Apparently he was giving one of the

other campers a mouthful before crashing into some barrier fences that divide the camping areas before taking off again and tearing up the place before racing off…. About 10mins later we heard come back a full speed

andthen we heard a loud bang and crash as he failed to take the corner and rolled his hilux. This obviously woke up the rest of teh campers in the campground and a few of us raced over to see what actually happened.

Upon reaching his rolled Hilux, he wasn't to be found but as little more searching and we found him about 10mtrs away from his car, not moving at all. Fortunately there was some off duty police camping there as well

and they tried to perform CPR (but no breathing), but with no pulse & no pupil dilation he was pronounced dead…. This obviously put the wind up the missus and our kids with all of us having a terrible nights sleep. With

the events of the previous night we decided to stay another night here as we were all tied, so we decided to do some of the main walks with the one nth (Homestead Creek Walk) of the camp being the better one. After

a full days of walks it was back to camp for dinner and prepare for a early rise and departure the following morning.
                          Distance Travelled: 28 kms
                          Driving Time: 0hrs 34min

The damage from the night before - this was right near our tent

The unbreakable Hilux being towed away - can't say the same for the driver

Photos of Homestead Creek Walk and the walk to the south

Comment

The boys cooling off:

The walk at the south end of the park

Comment

Day-19: Early rise and packed up and was on the road by around 8am, we headed north towards White Cliffs. Upon reaching White Cliffs, we refuelled at the corner store, had a very quick look around town then called

into local info centre to ask about road conditions out to along the road to Paroo-Darling NP & then north to Wanaaring. The lady told us the road to Wanaaring was closed (which turned out to be incorrect) so we took

another road north that would meet up with The Cut road which would enable us still to get to Wanaaring and then onto Hungerford and Currawinya NP. We took the road north via Glen Hope and Questa Park HS's. The

road nth was an excellent road and we pulled into Wanaaring for a late lunch. Called into the local store for some bread, drinks, ice creams for the family and ended up having a bit of a chat and that's when he told us

that the road wasn't closed at all only the section below White Cliffs….
                              After lunch we hit the road and reached the Hungerford and the NSW/QLD border and we continued up the road reaching the turnoff to the 2

salt/fresh lakes in the Currawinya NP and found a nice little spot beside a fresh waterhole left from the recent rains and set up camp there, hopefully for the 2nd last time….
                              Distance Travelled: 503 kms
                              Driving Time: 5hrs 55min

The small Opal Town of White Cliffs and its surrounds

Finally reaching Gods Country - QUEENSLAND

Our Camp for the FINAL night

Comment

another waterhole filled from the recent rains

The Ring around the MOON

Day-20: We again managed another early rise again and this time we managed to head off at 7.30am, our earliest yet…. We headed out to the 2 Lakes (Fresh Water Lake Numalla and one Salt Lake Wyara). The track

in was good but became a bit wet where u had to drive around a fair bit of water, but it wasn’t a problem. We stopped at the Fresh Lake 1st (Lake Numalla) and went for a walk down to the waters edge. Apparently this

lake usually has water in it and never really dries up but apparently it came close this time before it rained. It’s a beautiful lake that u can swim in. Then it was onto the Salt Lake Wyara some 6kms down the road where

we met the local Contractors that had the contract to round up and catch the wild/feral Goats. This is done via bikes and dogs. We stopped and had a good chat. Apparently there’s some good money in the Goat Business

if u know what you’re doing. We walked half to the waters edge of the Salt Lake but it was clear that it was a fair distance to walk and we didn’t really have the time so we turned around and walked back, stopping to

have a bit more of a chat the lady Goat catcher. They informed us that this lake is usually dry most times.
                                Once we said our goodbyes, we headed out and onto the “The Granites” for a bit of a look. This turned out to be

a mini Devils Marbles of sorts, quite a nice surprise. This was a top little spot which really deserves more time exploring. It was then back on the road and made our way out & up to Eulo via a pretty good Road. Continue

onwards to Cunnamulla where we would refuel and have a bit to eat. After Lunch I did a few calculations on the distance from home & then called a family chat where I explained to the missus and the kids that we were

in striking distance of Home and I gave them the option of driving through into the night and getting home around midnight vs stopping and puttin up and pulling down a wet Tent again.... They all chose the 1st option of

driving through to HOME, so the decision was made and after lunch we set off, hoping to reach home around midnight.
                                We made good progress, reaching St George by around 5pm; Goondiwindi by 7>7.30 and Warwick

by around 9.30. Stopped to refuel at Aratula and finally reaching home at 11.54pm at night - some 1145kms from where we started.
                                Distance Travelled: 1145 kms
                                Driving Time: 12hrs 53min

Into check out the Lakes
                                Freshwater Lake:

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X