TRIP REPORT :SEQ Xmas Gathering 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRIP REPORT :SEQ Xmas Gathering 2008

I'll start with the bad news... as I've just finished typing it for the Overlander Forum (so this bits a cut n paste). I'll add more of a trip report tomorrow once I have downloaded some piccies. Anywho... here's my sad story :cry:
    A lot of names are from the Overlander forum but we did have a few members from here join us for the weekend so I thought you might enjoy the read as well.

Thanks everyone for a great weekend. Was great to catch up with everyone again. Contraray to what you'd expect Zo and I still had a great weekend
    Yes we took some damage but hey, these things come with the teritory (amazing part is... I didn't have to sleep on the couch or out with the dog :lol

Firstly... a huge thank you to Chopper and Wholehog who made it possible for me to limp back to camp... thanks guys.
    Secondly... another huge thankyou to everyone back at camp who helped Zo and I pack down our trailer and camp before the tilt tray arrived so it could take the camper trailer back to Brissie for us behind the Prado. It really shows what great people we have on this forum

So, what happened?
    Well... it all started with a nice leisurley drive around a few simple tracks to round out the weekend. Chopper in lead we headed off and checked out a few of the usual spots... and then headed off to find Club Rally Circuit from the western side.
    Approaching the first assent of Club Rally we watched as Chopper and Hoggy took the tougher track to the right and then Jeff and I trundled up the easier side to the left. Totally different lines were needed since last years gathering as the heavy rain had caused some major washouts so we both picked the far left and stradled the ruts to the top... too easy

Next we came to my long standing adversary... the last assent on the western side of Club Rally Circuit. At last years Xmas gathering I made it just a third of the way up and after a few attempts Hoggy dragged me the rest of the way... a month or so ago, with the lift and better tyres I made it half the way up and then Rogerdodger winched me the rest of the way up.

Now come this year... all was going well and I got a bit further again. Unfortunately I was fairly crossed up with opposing wheels spinning in the breeze. I had a few goes trying slightly different lines... got out a couple of times to check if I had any chance and each time was oh, so close...
    The fatal statement was... 'one more go and then we'll winch'... well, that was the last straw and I landed a bit hard on the back axel and heard a distinct cack, short and clear.
    As we started winching a hear a few horrible noises and stoped the winch process... I got out and inspected the back end but couldn'r see any visible signs yet so we continued the winching and dragged me up the hill.

When I tried to drive the last bit under my own steam is when we all knew something was seriously wrong... Lots of crunching noises and a then the cars back wheels locked up without any breaking applied.

Chopper and Hoggy set to work removing the driveshaft to release the back end from any drive but the noise was still there and the only thing left to do was to limp back to camp.

Back at camp... it was like flys to... well, you know what
    A clacking noise that could be heard from the other side of the camp grounds brought everyone out to see what was up. Zo was saying a few quite prays under her breath but then heard someone say... 'Looks like Snaga' and emerged from our camp to see me limping across the campground.

The trip home was a piece of work all in it's self...
    Chopper drove me to the LCMP office to use the phone to call the RACQ (I had upgraded to Ultra Care about 2 weeks ago... phew!)
    Had a bit of an heart attack after speaking with the first operator. Conversation sort of went like... 'sorry, blah blah blah... that tow will cost approx $1000.00' :shocked:
    After hanging up from that person I had a think and called back again and asked if someone could confirm my Ultra Care benifits and I was then advised that 'no, it wont cost anything. The damge will take longer than 24 hours so we can tow it back to you mechanic or home address free of charge' I can tell you I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard that.

More thanks again... this time to Hefty Merv (Michael and Mia) who offered to drive us all the way home (including our dog). They even had to wait arout at Kilcoy for 20 mins or so while the local mechanic confirmed that it was actually a 24 hour breakdown and the tow truck driver could head off to our place in Brissie.
    We had a plesant trip down, traffic was fairly light for a Sunday afternoon and arrived back home around 1630 or 1700ish...

Thank you again guys... your generosity was greatly appreciated.

So now the wait for the tow truck to arrive begins.
    Maybe around 6pm he arrives and firstly appologises for not arriving sooner... his gps navigator failed on the way down and had to run into Hardly Normals to buy another one.
    Next... we unhitch the trailer from the back and push it off to the side (we couldn't get his truck onto the drive way without damaging neighbours lawns and driveways so we planned on letting the Prado drag it down the 10 meters of the drive way)
    He moves the truck forward a bit to give a bit of clearence to unload the car... all going well until the back wheels lock up about 2 mtrs from the back of the tray and the car stops rolling
    Ok, maybe I can drive it through what ever it's jammed on... nope. The car almost jumps off the tray :surprised:
    He trys backing it up again and and down again but it keeps locking on something.
    Now we decide to push the loaded trailer up the gutter and down the drive way... phew!! What an effort that was but we manage it... just.
    The driver decides the Prado has to be dropped where it will stay as it doesn't look like it wants to drive anymore so he sets off to negotiate our rather skinny drive way to our 'battle axe block'.
    He get reverses and get the back wheels over the gutter but as the fronts come up he bounces a bit and stalls it... now his truck wont start.
    A quick inspection of the battery reveals he's lost a nut on one of the battery terminals and the cables have come loose. We couldn't find the nut (even though I heard it fall) and a rummage through his bits and bobs proved fruitless. I had a quick look in my garage and found 1 nut that looked like it would fit and waddya know... it did. So we were back in business.
    Steve managed to navigate the tow truck down my driveway and proceeded to unload my car in the corner of the yard where another tow truck will be able to get to it.
    It still wouldn't budge past that point so we wet the back surface of the tray down with water which allowed the back end to slip down (controlled by the winch) and then once they were on the ground Steve drove the truck out from under the front end.

Phew!!!!! it was finally home and back on terra firmer

Steve (truck driver) from RACQ is another person I really want to thank... he went way beyond the call of duty. Pushing camper trailers, putting up with a seriously narrow driveway, trades people on the road whos car and trailer was right where he needed to swing around into our place so he had to do it the hard way... and most importantly, cared enough through all that was thrown at us to still get my car to me without any further damage.
    Thanks for your efforts Steve

So now that the car is back in our yard and safe... for the time being... want to know the best thing to come from the car/situation that day...........

The beer in the fridge was still ice cold and I think I deserved to crack one open (or two, or three )

Sorry the post was so long but sooooo much happend with so many good people to thank.
    I've left a msg with my mechanic that we might need to investigate a locker for the back end so for now, the Prado will have a rest until the new year.
    Cheers, Leon
    There's no such thing as a wrong turn... it's just the scenic route!
    1998 VX Grande 95... gone, 2008 GXL 120... almost gone... 2017 GXL 150... blank canvas
    Optix Photographix

Re: TRIP REPORT :SEQ Xmas Gathering 2008

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Snaga but good to hear that all rallied round to help out

You managed the entire post without mentioning the 'four letter word'...no, not that one... the one beginning with d and ending in f, but I assume that's what it is ?

Your tale is a salient one for making sure you've got backup cover that will make sure you can get home without having to sell a kidney. Hope you can kick back this Christmas and look forward to getting fixed up and getting out again.

All the best.
    '08 Prado Grande D4D Auto - [color=#800000]Flinders Red[/color], Piranha Dual Battery, GME 3440

Comment

Snaga,

You have our sympathies. I know that this sort of thing is always in the back of my mind when out and about in the bush. I am so paranoid about being crossed up and dropping back to mother earth with the wheels spinning. A single moments in-attention or as we used to call it in the flying game: "push-on-itis" can lead to disaster. It is very heartening to hear that the gang helped out and you were able to get back to base without too much hassle or expense. I know that Ultra Care is my choice as well.

My only problem is that lockers are WAY too expensive unless you use them frequently to justify their cost. Unfortunately for me, my truck spends most of its time ferrying my better half to and from work in rushhour... :cry: I know that some rubbish traction control for the way it does it's job, but if it saves blowing a diff, surely the point of traction aids to avoid damage.

Best of luck getting going again. And for what its worth, Merry Xmas ops: :roll:
      White '07 D4D GXL Manual, ARB Winch Bar, IPF 900XS Spotlights, BFGoodrich All Terrains LT 265 70 R17, GME TX3440 UHF, Safari Snorkel, ARB underbonnet compressor, IPF Fatboy Headlight Upgrade, Hilux Washer Jet Upgrade, Waeco 80L Fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by tileys
        Sorry to hear about your ordeal Snaga but good to hear that all rallied round to help out

You managed the entire post without mentioning the 'four letter word'...no, not that one... the one beginning with d and ending in f, but I assume that's what it is ?

Your tale is a salient one for making sure you've got backup cover that will make sure you can get home without having to sell a kidney. Hope you can kick back this Christmas and look forward to getting fixed up and getting out again.

All the best.
        :lol: yep... the Diff Not sure what part specifically but the general consensus is the Crown Wheel and Pinion.
        Cheers, Leon
        1998 VX Grande 95... gone, 2008 GXL 120... almost gone... 2017 GXL 150... blank canvas
        Optix Photographix

Comment

Oh, and there was a few of those other words muttered also 8)
          Cheers, Leon
          Optix Photographix

Comment

Talking with Chopper later I was asking what measures you could take to avoid that type of damage and lockers was his short answer.
            Lockers would also cause less track damage, less tyre damage (ripped off a few lugs on the rear right tyre) and less strain on the vehicle its self. So for me, it's probably an expense worth investing in. As part of the greater scheme of things a locker was on the cards further down the track (ie. a year or two) so I guess the decision has been made for us now
            Cheers, Leon
            Optix Photographix

Comment

Sorry to hear you have now joined the diff-break club Snaga. Most people who have their beloved Prado under warranty when this unfortunate incident occured have been lucky enough to get it fixed through warranty. I hope this expense can be picked by Mr Toyo.
              SSSHHHH be very very quiet were huntin wabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by D4D-GXL
                Sorry to hear you have now joined the diff-break club Snaga. Most people who have their beloved Prado under warranty when this unfortunate incident occured have been lucky enough to get it fixed through warranty. I hope this expense can be picked by Mr Toyo.
                Funny you should say that... my 2nd hand car warranty ran out about 1000km's ago :roll: BUT... I wouldn't bother with them even if it was still under warranty as I wouldn't trust them to install an Air Locker (don't even know if they can :?). Plus, any repairs under warranty have to be actioned by their mechanics (again, who I don't trust) and the last reason... they only cover $500.00 each claim so it would be more hassle than it's worth.
                I'm secretly glad the warranty has run out so I can now take it to a mechanic I trust to do a thorough job.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts....

Has anyone got anything/pics to add from the weekend :?:
                Cheers, Leon
                Optix Photographix

Comment

Originally posted by Snaga
                  I took several snap shots at the top of that ridge and i believe they're stored in your (Nikon) camera. :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by wengnuts
                    Originally posted by Snaga
                    I took several snap shots at the top of that ridge and i believe they're stored in your (Canon/real) camera. :mrgreen:
                    Fixed :mrgreen:
                    Cheers, Leon
                    Optix Photographix

Comment

You could say that 2008 went out with a bang

And your story was the final prod I needed... I'm now an UltraCare member, as soon as the 72-hour post-processing period ends... whenever that might be .

LFaR.
                      [size=1][color=#770000]29Feb12:[/color][color=#777700]12GXLTD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch bar, WARN 9.5xp Winch, IPF 900XS, Tow, Safari snorkel, Front + Rear Recovery points, ARB OME NC Sports, ATZ-4Rib[/color][color=grey], Silver[/color]. [color=orange][b]MaxTrax[/b][/color], [color=maroon]ScanGuage II[/color], [color=blue]ARB CKMA12[/color], [color=deeppink]UHF: GME TX3440 AE4018K1 UNH047SX[/color], [color=darkgreen]Bushranger Air Jack[/color], [color=green]Staun + ARB Deflators[/color], [color=brown]WindCheetah Roof Rack[/color], [color=green]Foxwing[/color], [color=red]Super Charge MRV70, Redarc BCDC1220[/color], [color=darkblue]ARB 60L fridge[/color], [color=blue]MSA Fridge Dropdown slide[/color], [color=darkyellow]DRIFTA Drawers[/color], [color=gold]TJM Bash Plates[/color], [color=brown]TG150[/color].[/size]

Comment

Leon, sorry to hear about the big bang event. I suppose it's all part & parcel when giving something a bloody good go, so good on you!

Dunno if this is too much of a personal question, feel free to PM. What made you choose Ultra Care over Plus Care? We're RACQ-less at the moment, and your incident has made us question our decision. The $1000 tow fee was the clincher I think.

I hope business doesn't suffer without the prestigious representation of the Prado :!:
                        2003 GXL V6
                        Safari snorkel

Comment

Originally posted by bunsen
                          What made you choose Ultra Care over Plus Care? We're RACQ-less at the moment, and your incident has made us question our decision. The $1000 tow fee was the clincher I think.
                          It was really the towing distance I guess. Mainly after I wet the alternator after my last trip to LCMP . The dash lit up somewhere south of Woodford and after checking all I could I drove it until just before it became dangerous to be on the road. ie. lights too dim.
                          If I was on Ultra Care then I would have phoned the RACQ straight away. As it was, it cost about $40 from Nudgee to Woolloongabba. As it turns out... the fact that under Ultra it only needs to be a 24 hr breakdown before they recover you wheras under Plus care it needs to be longer than 48hrs before they'll tow to your home for free. The accommodation options were very attractive for getting my Wife and Family (read, our dog ) off the side of the road and into a hotel or something.
                          Cheers, Leon
                          Optix Photographix

Comment

bunsen, it is also cheap insurance for peace of mind. The really good thing about ultra care is that you're covered for driving any vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by wengnuts
                              The really good thing about ultra care is that you're covered for driving any vehicle.
                              That's one of the reasons that I have it. It covers the primary vehicle regardless who drives it, and also covers the primary driver regardless what vehicle you drive. I use it to cover the Prado (it doesn't matter who drives it) and myself on my motorcycle (or any other vehicle for that matter). It's a lot cheaper that 2 lots of standard cover and has much more attractive benefits.
                              White '07 D4D GXL Manual, ARB Winch Bar, IPF 900XS Spotlights, BFGoodrich All Terrains LT 265 70 R17, GME TX3440 UHF, Safari Snorkel, ARB underbonnet compressor, IPF Fatboy Headlight Upgrade, Hilux Washer Jet Upgrade, Waeco 80L Fridge.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti