Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape York June / July 2010

Hi All,

We have not long returned from our trip to cape york so thought I would put up some pics etc from our trip. Before leaving Cairns we spent a day doing the touristy thing in Cairns and went for a trip on the Kuranda skyrail and train.

Unfortunately Barwon Falls was not really doing its thing - Imagine it is fairly spectacular in the wet season

We stopped at a couple of the roadhouses / camping areas on way north including Archer river roadhouse, that had a nice river a few minutes walk down the road, where Jaiden and myself spent some time cooling off.

The next day we arrived at Bramwell Junction which is where the fun stuff starts. Our group consisted of two Prados and two patrols.

You only have to go aboout 4km's up the track to get to the first creek crossing - Palm Creek
    This was the entrance.

and this was the exit - there had been about ten vehicles go through before us which made the exit very wet and slippery, so there wasn't much chance that I would get the Prado and camper up the hill without some help.

Decided to stop at Bertie creeck for a quick car wash, before setting up camp here for the night.

With no showers around the only option was to have swim in the creek.

The next crossing along the track was gunshot, about 8km's south of gunshot we had the option of taking the bypass track.

we chose the bypass track, which was interesting in its own right with some tall ant hills.

We did however backtrack to gunshot just to have look and see what all the fuss was about.

Why anyone would drive off this is beyond me!

and this was the chicken track!

There was another way down the bank as well that consisted almost knee deep mud

The next crossing along is Cockatoo creek, once again another wet and slippery bank to slide down

Cockatoo creek is not far from the northern end of the southern section of the telegraph track, so we headed for Elliot / twin falls to grab a camp site before the rest of the crowds arrived, but to get in there we had one more water crossing to negotiate.

Elliot falls is a spectacular place to stay, so we thought we would have two nights here and tackle the northern section of telegraph without the campers in tow

Some of the highlights of the northern section included the log bridge across Cypress creek

Perhaps I should have looked under the bridge before driving across it!

A few km's up the road we came to Boggey hole, if there was evergoing to be crocodiles somewhere I reckon this was the place.

So we went to see if we could find any

None there, so after checking the rest of the crossing we dived on in - Prado and and all.

The last crossing of the telegraph track was Nolan's Brook. We had been told that several vehicles including a couple of Prados had been swamped here in the last few days. So once again we waded on in to check it out thoroughly.

Once we had decided which way we were going to go it was time to take the plunge

After successfully driving the entire telegraph track, and not getting any water in the vehicles or the campers it was time to jump on the Jardine River ferry and head for Seisia

where this was the view out the camper door!

The final leg of the trip to the tip saw us stop at the croc tent for some souveniers

This is as far north as you can drive, unless of course you go down on the beach at low tide!

And here we are at the sign, which has fortunately been replaced aft some idiots cut if down last year!

Out near Bamaga airport are some leftovers from world war 2

While having a look at the old planes, Brett who owns/started the myswag.org camper trailer forum turned up so we stopped to have a chat..
    While there were lots of Prados up at the cape ABR Sidewinders, was the only one I saw that had a PP sticker onit.

On the way south the line up to get across the ferry again was almost 1km long, there was something like 140 vehicles a day going across the Jardine river.

After some reorganising of others waiting to board the ferry, I was able to get Prados on the front of the ferry for this photo.

Up until the trip south I had manged to keep the car reasonably clean, but then we found some roadworks where they had been spraying water on the road.

Still some more photos to come, but I have to go work soon, so will add them later.
    Cheers
    Lindsay
    2009 VX D4D Turbo Diesel

Re: Cape York June / July 2010

Keep 'em coming - good stuff.
    Confidence - The feeling before you fully understand the situation

Comment

That looks like a fantastic trip there Lindsay. What did Linda say when the water was washing up over the Windscreen? Was the Water Blind on the front of the vehicle just a tarp or a proper one?
      [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
      [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
      [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
      [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Great trip report n pics there,I look forward to seeing some more, I'm thinking of geting up there next season if all go's well but I did'nt realise it got so packed on the cape. Here's a couple of pics of Karanda falls in full flood,on a trip in March a couple of years ago.
        Cheers Teza.

Comment

Good work Lindsey!!!
          It is amazing how quick that track changes. We were going through Gunshot on the 24/6/10 and the only way through was down the steep one with the bog hole at the bottom or to go through the knee deep mud!! One of us went through the mud and after an hour we got him out and the rest of us went down the main one. There was no other way through there. There must be some people who don't care about there cars because the tracks they have made, the one turn off at the top before the drop to the knee deep mud and the other next to the original Gunshot, were not even an option. It was overgrown and rutted out that bad you wouldn't consider it, but by your photos alot of cars had been through!!! It is a great trip and just hope it doesn't get ruined by some many cars going and they don't destroy what they came to enjoy.
          I wan't to go back tommorrow!!!
          Peter
          [color=#4000FF]2010 GXL, ARB BAR, GOODYEAR MTR'S ON STEEL RIMS, CUSTOM REAR DRAWERS, DUAL BATTERIES, CARGO BARRIER, GME UHF, RHINO ROOF RACK, ROCK SLIDERS, AIRTEC SNORKEL, DUAL DROP FRIDGE SLIDES[/color]

Comment

I look forward to the rest of the trip report, great stuff.
            [b]Rob[/b]

[b]2016 Toyota Hilux SR5 D4D Auto Company Cruiser... [/b].
            [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23866-Hutch-s-2012-150-GXL-V6-petrol-Auto]Hutch's 2012 Build up[/url]
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Schaffer
              What did Linda say when the water was washing up over the Windscreen?
              Linda was on photographic duties (my way of making someone else walk across a croc infested creek first!!!!), so she probably didn't realise how high the water actually went until we were looking at the photos later.

Originally posted by Schaffer
              Was the Water Blind on the front of the vehicle just a tarp or a proper one?
              The blue water blind was just a tarp that was tied off to various points i.e. mirrors, bullbar and revovery points underneath. The black blind is an MSA blind that came as a freebie when I renewed one of the magazine subscriptions at some stage.

Exhibit A & B

The MSA blind (mine) actually came off on the last crossing

I need to put some eyelits across the bottom so that the bottom can be secured properly and will probably also put some across the top so that it can be secured to the bull bar better.

Originally posted by lissted
              Good work Lindsey!!!
              It is amazing how quick that track changes. We were going through Gunshot on the 24/6/10 and the only way through was down the steep one with the bog hole at the bottom or to go through the knee deep mud!! One of us went through the mud and after an hour we got him out and the rest of us went down the main one. There was no other way through there. There must be some people who don't care about there cars because the tracks they have made, the one turn off at the top before the drop to the knee deep mud and the other next to the original Gunshot, were not even an option. It was overgrown and rutted out that bad you wouldn't consider it, but by your photos alot of cars had been through!!! It is a great trip and just hope it doesn't get ruined by some many cars going and they don't destroy what they came to enjoy.
              I wan't to go back tommorrow!!!
              Peter
              We went through gunshot on the 27 june, so was only three days behind you. But there were so many people / vehicles up there it was just crazy at times, and as you said some people have to sit there spinning wheels for ten minutes before they realise its time to get out the winch!
              Cheers Lindsay
              2009 VX D4D Turbo Diesel

Comment

and here is the last few remaining photos that I intended on adding but didn't have time to because of work.

We came back to cairns via Cooktown

and the Bloomfield track. The Bloomfield was interesting, but they are in the process of sealing some of the steeper sections, (although I can understand why) which makes it less of a 4WD track. This is the crossing at Bloomfield

and another crossing along the track

We had fish & chips on the beach at Port Douglas for dinner

The only damage we suffered was a cracked windscreen which started with a stone chip the day we left cairns

and then became a timeline of our travels.

It took us a week to come down the coast from Cairns to Nelson Bay catching up with friends on the way south. We did eventually see some crocodiles at Australia Zoo.

While the trip was great, I am pretty sure I won't miss the red dirt!
                If anyone has any questions about what we did etc you only have to ask!
                cheers
                Lindsay
                2009 VX D4D Turbo Diesel

Comment

Hi Lindsay

Thanks for the great pics we have decided to head up there in 2012 (give the kids a few more years to grow up) but i am so excited but never been up there. My questions are what were the major preparations you needed to consider before leaving and what was the time frame you allowed. Also where did you stay whilst up there. I look forward to your response and any other info you have would be greatly appreciated.
                  Craig
                  2005 Gx Td White tinted windows,uhf,dp chip,tjm steel bull bar,terrain tamer winch,dual batteries,rhino rack hd bars and basket,polaris side and rear awning's,firestone airbags,hilux washer upgrade,uni filter,airtech snorkel,underbody guards,extended diff breathers,cargo barrier dvd headrests, xray 220 hid lights plenty of dents and scratches oh and kids food on back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by teamdevo
                    Hi Lindsay

Thanks for the great pics we have decided to head up there in 2012 (give the kids a few more years to grow up) but i am so excited but never been up there. My questions are what were the major preparations you needed to consider before leaving and what was the time frame you allowed. Also where did you stay whilst up there. I look forward to your response and any other info you have would be greatly appreciated.
                    Craig
                    Hi Craig

Our trip was the best part of 20 months in the planning, this was partly due to my working / rostering arrangements and it also gave everyone that came plenty of notice to get the time off work and do the things that we felt were needed for vehicle preparations.

We did the following things to our vehicle before we left (in no particular order), my apologies if some of it is stating the obvious!

1) Dual battery system with a deep cycle battery and 50amp Anderson plug at the back to charge the camper, and a dc to dc charger in place of a smart solenoid. The batteries in the camper are also deep cycle and we needed the dc / dc charger to charge the batteries properly.
                    2) ARB Bull bar - protect the front of the vehicle and to have somewhere to hang a winch. Although there were people up there without winches, if you are going by yourself a winch would be a good insurance policy, if going in a group then probably a least one in the group is enough.
                    3) A winch - see the pic of the first creek crossing!
                    4) A snorkel - think the photos of the water crossings demonstrate why!!!
                    5) Suspension upgrade - we were originally going to go with just standard suspension and polyairs in the rear, but after hiring a kimberley camper for a weekend there was little doubt that I needed to do something else (and that was before I put everything else in the Prado and filled it up with diesel). Even though we were there not that long after the roads had been graded there were still some sections of the bypass roads / development roads that were badly corrugated. I took one of the original front and rear shocks in as spares.
                    6) A second spare tyre, or at the very least a tyre repair kit, a compressor and a tyre deflator - get a decent set of tyres as well, not convinced the standard grandcraps would survive, although we didn't have any tyre issues at all. We have BFG's that have now done the Oodnadatta track, the mereenie loop and the cape and we are yet put a hole in them!
                    7) Diff breathers etc extended up into the engine bay.
                    8) A range of fuses, a spare fan belt, spare radiator hoses, air filter, fuel filter (both the one under the bonnet and the one in the back between the two tanks, and a set of wheel bearings for the trailer.
                    9) We were originally going to hire a Kimberly Kamper for the trip, but after hiring one for a weekend we went out and bought one. If you are planning on taking a camper make sure it is a good one, you don't want red dirt and / or water in your bed. We also saw a few boat trailers that had bent axles etc because they are clearly not designed to be taken to that part of the world!
                    10) Recovery gear, this should go without saying, we had a snatch strap, a snatch block, winch extension strap, tree trunk protector and a range of rated shackles. Our travelling companions had the same stuff so between us we had good collection of equipment. When considering where you are going to store the recovery gear, make sure it is accessible without having to open doors, very difficult to keep water out once the door is opened!
                    11) Rear storage drawers with a platinum drop down fridge slide. The drawers are worth their weight in gold, as they just making accessing things so easy.
                    12) Rear cargo barrier, so that things stay in the rear cargo area and don't bounce off your kid's heads!
                    13) A water blind, the blue tarps seem to work just as well as the expensive custom made jobbies. We also have an MSA rear wheel bag. This was great for putting rubbish while camping in the bush where there are no bins provided (Elliot falls does not have garbage facilities) it was also good for putting some of the lighter recovery gear in so it was easily accessible, and also for putting the water blinds in after they had been used.

After leaving cairns we stayed at the following places -
                    Laura - the campground was nice, the facilities however were hopeless, drive another 70km's up the road and stay at Hann River roadhouse
                    Archer River Road house, this was a nice place, and there is also some good free camping 50 metres down the road beside the river (no facilities beside the river)
                    Musgrave Road house - didn't stay here but it looked pretty good.
                    Bramwell Junction - once again we did not stay there, but the meat pies were hot and the drinks were cold!
                    On the telegraph track there was good camping on the southern side of Dulhunty River (arrive early to get a good spot), we camped on the northern side of Bertie Creek. Elliot falls has designated camping areas, but you need to arrive before lunch to get a good spot.

Up the top itself we stayed at seisa, but were fairly disappointed at management's attitude towards the cleaning of toilets etc, check out Loyalty beach instead or you could go right up the top to Punsand Bay. This was very nice but does not have any powered sites and is a reasonable drive from the shops etc at Bamaga.

There are several good books that you can get, including the Hema guide to cape york, and there is also one written by Ron & Viv Moon which is pretty good (don't know what its called). There is also a bucket load of videos on YouTube that are worth watching.

Don't know what else to say other than enjoy the planning, do it thoroughly, pack your common sense and you will have a fantastic trouble free trip, the alternative is just too expensive to contemplate!

Cheers
                    Lindsay
                    2009 VX D4D Turbo Diesel

Comment

great report......

love that over the bonnet shot form inside the cab!!!

cheers joey 8)
                      Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
                      -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
                      Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
                      [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Thankyou so much lindsay

Your tips are muchly appreciated and so is your time in putting it all there for me. The mods i was pretty much thinking along the same lines but there are some great tips like the recovery gear in easy to reach spot dont think the wife would appreciate the water coming in the car. The book you are talking about by ron and viv moon i ordered that yesterday. And now i know i am not going crazy about starting to get things oragnised now when it took you 20 months to sort out. How long did you take from cairns or cooktown and back is there a average time it takes to do the loop and still enjoy it without rushing to much. Once again thankyou so much for your time and effort

Craig
                        2005 Gx Td White tinted windows,uhf,dp chip,tjm steel bull bar,terrain tamer winch,dual batteries,rhino rack hd bars and basket,polaris side and rear awning's,firestone airbags,hilux washer upgrade,uni filter,airtech snorkel,underbody guards,extended diff breathers,cargo barrier dvd headrests, xray 220 hid lights plenty of dents and scratches oh and kids food on back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by teamdevo
                          Thankyou so much lindsay

Your tips are muchly appreciated and so is your time in putting it all there for me. The mods i was pretty much thinking along the same lines but there are some great tips like the recovery gear in easy to reach spot dont think the wife would appreciate the water coming in the car. The book you are talking about by ron and viv moon i ordered that yesterday. And now i know i am not going crazy about starting to get things oragnised now when it took you 20 months to sort out. How long did you take from cairns or cooktown and back is there a average time it takes to do the loop and still enjoy it without rushing to much. Once again thankyou so much for your time and effort

Craig
                          We took about 15 days to go from cairns to cairns and it was not even close to enough time to do everything. Which therefore means we will just have to back some time in the not too distant future.

One other thing I left out was the washing machine, in the picture of the prado and camper covered in red mud you will notice there is a 20l bucket secured to the front of the camper, chuck in clothes, water, washing powder and let the corrugations do the rest whilst driving!!

Cheers
                          Lindsay
                          2009 VX D4D Turbo Diesel

Comment

Thanks once again lindsay i was thinking around 2 weeks i wish i had more but as you said just another excuse to go back up there and i love the washing machine idea i can even tell the missus i will do that. :lol:

Thanks once again for your help

Craig

Comment

Excellent report with excellent relevant information. I really like the preparation list & the details of the locations you went to. This information helps future travellers & past alike (1992 for me...)

Cheers
                              Richard
                              2011 GXL TD Auto Prado Silver

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis