Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 2010 - Corner Country, Innamincka, Birsdville,

Friday 02/07/10
    Depart North-West Sydney 9.30am and stopped in Bathurst for lunch at 12.10pm then continued on to a motel in Nyngen for the night. We had dinner in the local RSL and fair dinkum I don’t think it has seen a paint brush since the ‘70s.
    Car as we left home

Overnight Nyngen (motel)
    Distance travelled 546km
    Fuel Avg 13L/100

Saturday 03/07/10
    Dawned bright and sunny and left at 8.00am for the run to White Cliffs and our first night of camping. Stopped at Cobar for fuel and snacks. We got a powered site for $19.00 at the caravan park as we wanted to camp together with our friends who wanted power for the campers. Toilets and showers were very clean and the showers were $1.00 for 7mins. White Cliffs is where we met our friends who came from Blue Mountains (2 x 100 series both with Jayco pop tops) and Orange (80 series with camper trailer)

Overnight White Cliffs (tent in caravan park)
    Fuel 100L @ $1.36/L (Cobar)
    Distance travelled 486km

Sunday 04/07/10
    After a bit of breakfast and packing up we left the White Cliffs tourist resort :lol: for a look around town.

One of the places we called into was PJ’s B&B which is an underground motel. They had 2 tours running that day and we lobbed just as the first was finishing and the next wasn’t for a few hours so we just had a look through their showroom then piled in the car for the run to Tibooburra.
    Lunch stop where the kids kicked the ball around

Not far south of Tibooburra there was a lake that looked pretty spectacular so we ventured of the main road about 400m to the shore for a few photos.

After leaving the lake my mate in his 80 series had a rock bounce of his CT into his back window and shattered it. A replacement made out of cardboard was installed on the side of the road and the frustrating thing about the smashed window was it happened 150m from the tar road.

Back on the road and closer to Tibooburra another mate in his 100 series called over the UHF that he needed to pull over as his car was boiling. Turned out he snapped a fan belt. On the 100 series diesel they run dual fan belts and the snapped belt derailed the other one. Whilst the 2nd belt still looked serviceable both belts were changed for new ones.

The night before in White Cliffs was bloody cold and the wife wanted a motel room or cabin but the placed was booked out (I didn’t try the pubs) so we got an unpowered site. We had dinner and a few beers in the 2 storey pub and had to wait what seemed like forever for our meals but when they arrived they were great. Kids had a ball playing on the rocks just behind our camp site. The toilets and showers were pretty clean at the caravan park.

Overnight Tibooburra (tent in caravan park)
    Distance travelled 255km
    Fuel avg 14.9L/100

Monday 05/07/10
    Now the trip really starts. After filling up in Tibooburra we head off for Cameron Corner. Along the way we come across a clay pan that looked like a good spot for the kids to get out and stretch their legs.

We arrive at Cameron Corner and had lunch on the other side of the carpark out of the back of the cars and then had a look around and took some happy snaps.

The plan was to overnight here but there were a few people around and after looking at the facilities (toilets and shower) we decide to push on to the yellow double decker bus.

It was a bit windy and open at the bus so after watching for a while a hawk try to attack a magpie we pushed on to find somewhere else to camp. About 3 dunes along we hung a left and drove in for about 200m to find what I thought ended up being the best camping spot all trip. Sheltered between the dunes and far away enough from the road we set about setting up camp and collecting firewood then sat down for a few well earned beers. Here the kids (8 of them from 14 down to 3 and a half) could run riot and not bother anyone. Also we didn’t really have to watch them as there was nothing that could really get them into trouble.

This was bush camping at it’s best

Overnight about 50km west of Cameron Corner (bush camp in tent)
    Distance travelled 188km
    Avg consumption 13.7L/100
    Avg speed 53kmh
    Refuel Tibooburra 86L @ $1.52/L

Tuesday 06/07/10
    The day before when we were at Cameron Corner we read the road reports in the Pub/Store and the Bore Track was closed. Oh well we will go up the Old Strzelecki to Innamincka (The purpose of the trip was to avoid the most well groomed roads possible, within reason). When we got to the Old Strzelecki there was a painted corrugated iron sign saying the track was impassable due to water. This wasn’t mentioned on the road report and we had no idea how old the sign was so we thought it was best to keep going to the Strzelecki Track. This turned out to be a highway with speeds up to 100kmh not uncommon. 25km from Innamincka the road was quite corrugated and a weld on my mates CT broke that holds the shackle at the front of the leaf spring. With the wheel pushed back and rubbing on the rear of the guard a bit of bush mechanics was employed. We cut up his unused gas bottle holder and using the bolt for the front eye of the leaf spring and a bolt for the mudguard we pulled forward the wheel and axle and bolted in a bracket that would hold it there until it could be welded up in Innamincka. $280.00 later (this included reinforcing the other side) it was fit for duty again.

We spent 2 nights in the Town Common.

Fire wood was scarce so I would recommend you allow some time to scout around or pick some up just out of town.
    There was a pit toilet at the town Common and it was excellent, very clean and no smell. The toilet and showers up opposite the trading post were not too bad.
    Spent a fair bit of time doing not much while the kids ran around and amused themselves. The wife got stalked by a dingo on her trip to the toilet around 3.00am one morning. Something got our rubbish as well and we assume it was a dingo. The lady in the trading post said there was a few around.

2 x overnight in the Town Common (tent) with a pit toilet
    Distance travelled 230km
    No fuel figures

Thursday 08/07/10
    We were supposed to go to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs and Cadelga but the Development Road between Birdsville and Betoota was closed due to some local rain. It was due to open at lunch time today but we thought we would give it another day to dry out and go to Haddon Corner via the Dig Tree instead as we had 3 trailers and didn’t want to risk it on the muddy roads.
    The Dig Tree has changed since I was last there in 1997. Now it has a graded road, information hut, toilets and an entry fee.

We left the Dig Tree and continued to Haddon Corner. We pulled up about 80km north of the Dig Tree on the side of the road for a quick bite to eat.
    We arrived at Haddon Corner around 4.20pm and the good thing about being this far inland is that the sun sets a little bit later than home on the east coast. This gave us time to set up and get a fire going.

A bit muddy going in from the main road to Haddon Corner.

Haddon Corner

Overnight Haddon Corner (bush camp in a tent)
    Distance travelled 292km
    Avg consumption 15.1L/100
    Avg speed 63kmh

Friday 09/07/10
    After being woken by the dingoes howling it was time to get up for some brekkie and pack up.
    Crossing the dunes on the way out

We stopped for lunch at Betoota and an opportunity to use a real toilet (pit toilet, very clean) after bush camping the night before.

There was still some fairly muddy sections of road between Betoota and Birdsville

We arrived in Birdsville around half past 3 that afternoon and pulled into the caravan park. Apart from dealing with air matresses that kept going down the wife was struggling with the cold at night so we got a room at the caravan park for 2 nights at $90.00 per night. The room has two single beds, matresses on the floor for our two kids, an air conditioner, bar fridge and TV.

The facilities here were excellent (toilets and showers). Also took the opportunity to get 3 loads of washing done.
    Distance travelled 275km
    Avg consumption 15.3L/100
    Avg speed 59kmh
    Overnight Birdsville CP in a room

Saturday 10/07/10
    A great nights sleep and we headed over to the Birdsville bakery for some much needed fresh bread. Also took the opportunity to have a curry camel pie. Well what can I say but delicious with a capital D. I strongly recommend that when you are in Birdsville you sample the great curry camel pie with tom sauce.

We were going to go the Working Museum but our kids would have been board within 5 minutes and my 4yo boy would have started destroying the place so we gave it a miss. We headed out to try our luck on Big Red. The road just before Big Red was closed due to flood waters so we took the very bumpy and very slow 10km detour.

I know I am preaching to the converted but dunes were no match for the mighty Prado. 3rd gear in high range and we just motored up and over. My mates dad in the second 100 series had a little bit of trouble as he went up in low range and highway pressures in his tyres. Whilst taking photos, lunching and watching the kids playing on the hills a knob in a near on brand new 200 series diesel came up over from the west and proceed to get himself bogged when he tried to take a different steeper line near the peak of the western approach. After watching him and his mate dig himself out whilst me and my mate sniggered under our breath 200 series man went and parked up with his mates. Well me and my mate with the 80 series and the other mate with the 100 series decided we would play around a bit and show off. So off I jump in the 120 and head down the western side and proceeded to come roaring up and take the same line as 200 man. Suffice to say it was no challenge for the 120. I think 200 man was a bit pissed as they were watching from the hill. Next the 80 series then the 100 series all had a go. 200 man came back and had another go and got it but now it was turning into a highway.

We were going to head out to Eyre Creek for a look but we were running out of time to get back, showered and over to the pub for dinner. When we got back I ran into Mr 4X4 Pat Callinan and had a quick chat. He had just crossed the Simpson and was filming his next series. Seemed like a nice bloke. There was a tour group or 3 in town so the dining room at the pub was packed so we took up a bench out in the beer garden which was better as the kids could play. After dinner we went into the gift shop as I was going to replace my 13yo Birdsville Pub polo shirt but at $70.00 for a new one I settled on a hat instead.
    Back over to the CP for another nights sleep.
    Overnight in the Birdsville CP in a room
    Distance travelled 90km
    Avg consumption 16.3L/100
    Avg speed 29kmh

Sunday 11/07/10
    Today we are going to head back to Innamincka but via Cadelga and Cordillo Downs. But first some photos outside the pub.

We travelled back on the Development Road to the Cadelga turn off and the road had dried up considerably since we last travelled it 2 days prior. We stopped at Cadelga Ruins for lunch and some photos.

Onward we travelled and then stopped at Cordillo downs for a look around.

Whilst walking past my mates 80 series with the CT we noticed an oily substance all over the front of the CT. Thinking the worst that it was brake fluid we identified that his drivers side shock absorber had been punctured by a rock about 30mm up from the bottom. No spare so had to push on after he put a screw in it.
    We were planning to overnight in Innamincka but it was getting late and we were still 80km from Innamincka when we decided to bush camp near Candradecka Creek. We set up camp and went firewood collecting again. As we were adjacent to the creek there was an abundance of firewood so this was completed quickly. This was another great spot like the one near the yellow double decker bus but as we were near the creek with puddles in it mozzies became a bit of a problem.

Refuel at Birdsville (can’t find my figures)
    Overnight Candradecka creek (tent bush camp)
    Distance travelled 335km
    Avg consumption 13.8L/100
    Avg speed 61kmh

Monday 12/07/10
    More dingoes howling so up we get, brekkie, pack and head into Innamincka. We have lunch (and a beer) in the pub. Try the burger and chips, sensational. Made some phone calls back home to let everyone know we were still alive. Headed out to Montecollina Bore for a 2 night stop over. We got there at 4.30pm which gave us time to set up, collect wood and have a beer by the fire before dinner.
    After turning in to a night with some light cloud cover we are woken up to thunder and lightning at 2.00am. At 3.00am it was evacuate the tent as there was a river running through it. It was bucketing down. The friends with the CT were out battening down the hatches and my wife and daughter went into one jayco and the boy and me went into another. We woke up to a wet soggy morning and it was still raining however not like the storm during the night. It rained until around midday but the damage was done.

Tuesday 13/07/10
    There was some motorbike riders also camped at the Montecollina Bore who also got very wet. It had stopped raining and it was mostly sunny but we were going nowhere. We spent another night in the jayco’s.

Wednesday 14/07/10
    We wake to a beautiful sunny day. We all decided to make a break for it and packed up. All our tent, air matresses, chairs etc were still saturated (sleeping bags were OK thankfully) All wet gear went into the roof top bag that had a pool of water in it as it was open overnight when it rained.

At 9.30am I lead us out back onto the Strzelecki Track. Well I got 500m and the other 3 cars got less than half that when we decided to turn around and go back. It took us 1hr to travel the 1km round trip with one snatch recovery in the process. The trip meter read 8km, this was from all the wheel spinning. It was 220km to the nearest tar road. Time for beer o’clock.

We think it best to stay a couple more days. All wet gear went up onto makeshift clothes lines with ropes strung between the cars roof baskets. Suprisingly all gear dried out in a couple of hours. Time to get more firewood while the kids played in the puddles.
    It is around 2.30pm when disaster first struck, we have run out of beer. Disaster struck for a second time that day at dinner time when we ran out of coke to mix with the spirits.

Thursday 15/07/10
    A great day to kick back and do nothing. There were plenty of laughs as we sat around and discussed different ways to cook dingo, curried, pan fried with butter and herbs, roasted in the camp oven with garlic and lemon as we had to start rationing our food. We spotted a rabbit and went to grab our bandanas and spears ala Survivor. The hawks, crows and eagles starting circiling around above us. Did they know something we didn’t! Later in the day the kids and I went for a dip in the bore. The smaller pool has a hot water supply coming up out of the ground at a temperature that you can only just hold your hands under, it cools as it starts to mix with the larger pool which was very chilly and I would class as spanner water out near the middle.

We have a visitor in the form of a road train driver who is stuck out on the main track. He has a sat phone and tells us the road is officially closed but is due to be opened tomorrow morning, yay. 60mm of rain fell in Lyndhurst and 20mm in Innamincka.

Friday 16/07/10
    We were supposed to head north again to overnight at Milparinnka then down to Broken Hill then home but we see the truck driver again and he tells us the road is open but only to the south. More rain fell locally up north and the road from Merty Merty to Cameron Corner is closed as is the road to Innamincka. We head south to Lyndhurst. It is still fairly slippery but heaps better than 2 days prior. I was leading and hit a patch that was more slop than puddle at around 40kmh and steered off the road with my wheels going over the 6 inch high mound of dirt and rocks parallel to the road. Well I had to fight the car to try to get it back over but there was something there that wouldn’t let me. Result bogged to my belly and winched out backwards.

The rest of the trip into Lyndhurst was fairly uneventful after that with a few shallow creek crossings and dodge a pair of road train trailers where the driver dumped them and took his truck back to safer territory. He couldn’t turn around with the trailers hitched and he didn’t want to end up stranded like the other near Montecollina Bore.

Arriving in Lyndhurst for lunch, great burger too.

After lunch we made a bolt for an overnight stop at a motel in Hawker and dinner in the pub after 10hr on the road.
    Refuel at Leigh Creek 76L @ $1.47/L
    Overnight Hawker in a motel
    Distance travelled 413km
    Avg consumption 18.4L/100 (we weren’t hanging around)

Saturday 17/07/10
    Leave Hawker at 7.50am to go to Cobar via Broken Hill. Completed a 120km detour when I missed the Ooroo turn off and ended up in Quorn Arrive in Cobar at 6.30pm after nearly taking out a couple of suicidal skippy’s outside of Cobar. Can’t believe the amount of goats. They were in their hundreds.
    Have lunch and refuel at Broken Hill 116L @ $1.28/L
    Overnight at motel in Cobar
    Distance travelled inc detour 981km
    Avg consumption 16.5L/100
    Avg speed 99kmh

Sunday 18/07/10
    Leave Cobar at 7.40am. Lunch and fill up at Orange. Sit in a humungous traffic jam as the result of a double head on at Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains for around 1.5hr and arrive home at 6.00pm
    Refuel in Orange 150L @ $1.24/L
    Distance travelled 681km
    Avg consumption 13.2L/100
    Avg speed 55kmh
    Refuel at home 31L @ $1.31/L

Summary
    Frozen bread in Tibooburra and Innamincka costs between $5.50 and $6.00
    When stocking up on supplies in Birdsville, Tibooburra and Innamincka bring your money with you as it is bloody expensive.
    1 smashed rear window (80 series)
    1 punctured shock (80 series)
    1 broken leaf spring mount on CT (80 series)
    1 broken fan belt (100 series)
    1 snatch recovery (other 100 series)
    1 winch recovery (120 series)
    1 torn rear mudflap (see above 120 series)
    Total distance travelled by trip meter 5117km
    Avg fuel consumption by scangauge 15.02L/100 (V6 5 speed auto 120 series with 2 spare tyres and rims, roof basket, around 80L water, fridge, food, around 10L of long life milk, clothes, tools, spare fluids, roof basket bag with 5 sleeping bags, 3 air matresses, 4 chairs 1 small table 2 tarps, 4 man dome tent and other odds and sods)
    We had a really enjoyable trip including being washed out at Montecollina Bore, all part of the experience as the saying goes. The kids had ball running around in the fresh clean air. What would I do different. Probably take less clothes. I didn’t wear half what I took. Pack more non perishable food like tins of baked beans/spaghetti, cups of noodles type of things. The experience of being stuck for a few extra days in the Strzelecki Desert showed the importance of having adequate supplies. We had enough food for another day of meals and snacks and plenty of water but if push come to shove we could have really rationed down what we had for another 3 days if required (had plenty of Sao’s) but it would be good to have the items I mentioned so as not to need to do that. The reason we took the smaller tent as opposed to our bigger one was room and time in putting the bigger one up and down especially where we had a 1 night stop. Needless to say we are going to look at camper trailers now. The need to be able to stand up and get changed was sorely missed especially by the wife. Me I don’t care and will get changed anywhere, I don’t care who is looking but a CT would be easier.
    The Prado was a really great vehicle for touring and didn’t miss a beat and done it with ease. Mechanically it was stock including tyres except for polyair bags in the rear. It’s got rear diff breather extensions, ARB deluxe bar and driving lights and that’s about it. There is no 2” lift or diff locks or aftermarket tyres but if you were to cross the desert well maybe that’s another story.

Thanks to Mannell Motors for assistance with accessories like cargo barrier, roof basket and bag, diff breather extensions, aux battery isolator, anderson plug and a few other bits and pieces.

Re: July 2010 - Corner Country, Innamincka, Birsdville,

Fantastic trip report. Thanks for sharing
    Mike
    2005 GXL V6 Auto
    8 years of modifications

Comment

Looks like you had a fantastic adventure

Thanks for sharing.

Mick
      [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
      Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Sounds like a fun and interesting trip there MDS. I bet the kids had a ball. I am a little surpised that you descided to take on some of those tracks with the Grandtreks but they are resaonably good in sand, altough not as strong as a LT is with staking.
        [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
        [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
        [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Excellent report & photos Mark. Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves especially the kids Shame to hear about the beer disaster, a sad day indeed :cry:

Good fuel consumption from your vehicle too. Any flat tyres :?:

Cheers,

Glenn
          Cheers,
          Glenn
          2002 GXL 3.4 auto with BFG AT's, Lovell's/Bilstein suspension, ARB steel bullbar, winch, towbar, diff lock, air compressor, GME UHF & AM CB radios.
          [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/gh4wd?feature=mhum][b]Youtube[/b][/url] [url=http://www.panoramio.com/user/2941589][b]Panoramio[/b][/url]

Comment

Fan bloody tastic Mark, well worth the wait for this report. I don't recall you telling me about the 3.00am evacuation :shock:
            Looks like you all enjoyed yourselves and photos and trip report tell the story better than you told Glenn and I
            I will have to speak to you soon and get some tips off you and maybe some work done by Nick :wink:

Cheers
            Black 2003, TD, GXL Prado

Comment

Originally posted by Schaffer
              Sounds like a fun and interesting trip there MDS. I bet the kids had a ball. I am a little surpised that you descided to take on some of those tracks with the Grandtreks but they are resaonably good in sand, altough not as strong as a LT is with staking.
              Nick I guess we were lucky with the Grandtreks but I tried to keep a tyre pressure somewhere between what was suitable for these type of roads and the load we were carrying. Ideally I would have lliked to replave the tyres with BFG LT's but couldn't justify replacing the originals which were only 30,000km old. There is still probably 20,000km left in them. I thought initially the tyres would need replacing when we got back as they would have been hammered from rocks etc but they are in great shape.

Originally posted by GH4wd
              Excellent report & photos Mark. Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves especially the kids Shame to hear about the beer disaster, a sad day indeed :cry:

Good fuel consumption from your vehicle too. Any flat tyres :?:

Cheers,

Glenn
              Glenn out of the 22 tyres on the road between the 4 vehicles we didn't have one issue with tyres. I was surprised with the fuel consumption as well especially as the wife doesn't care about economy.

Originally posted by Prado BB
              Fan bloody tastic Mark, well worth the wait for this report. I don't recall you telling me about the 3.00am evacuation :shock:
              Looks like you all enjoyed yourselves and photos and trip report tell the story better than you told Glenn and I
              I will have to speak to you soon and get some tips off you and maybe some work done by Nick :wink:

Cheers
              Andy, I was lying in the sleeping bag with all this lightening and thunder and the rain hammering the tent thinking this could get ugly, well it did. The kids handled it well though. We had to wake them up actually.

Comment

Mark,

That is an awsome report....... thanks for sharring.......

Tempted to get a Jayco now? :lol:
                [color=#0040FF]Rob[/color]
                [color=#0040BF]2012 Altitude D4D &
                04 Jayco Eagle Outback[/color]

Comment

great write up :!:

Sounds a bit of a mess there at the moment on the Birdsvile track and across the Simpson. More rain...ugly. Birdsville track is closed after Mungeranie.

May have to rethink which tracks I am travelling Monday :shock:
                  [SIZE=1][B]2011 Silver 150 DVD[/B] [B]GXL[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=1], Safari Snorkel, Sand Grabba mats, Michelle Sacs seat organizer, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce 170 HID, Bonnet and Headlight protectors, Dual Batteries, Engel Fridge, Kaymar rear spacer, Cooper STTs [B]x 6[/B], Rhino Pioneer tray in black, MaxTrax, Black Widow Drawers with top shelf, divider & cargo barrier, ARB Sports Nitrochargers and springs, ICOM IC 440N CB
                  [/SIZE]

Comment

Hi

The fantastic part about the outback is how quick it changes, we were at Montecellino Bore last August and it was dry, windy, hot, full of flys but still a nice spot to stop for lunch, the Strezlecki then was a highway, 100k/hour easy if you wanted.

Even with the changes and hard driving, I'll bet it was an experience that you won't regret and will remember for a very long time, that's what touring is all about.

Regards, Richo and Gay.
                    [B]Former [/B]Party Leader, [B]Now[/B] SDO SEQLD GTG 2015 PFA (Pradopoint Fairy Advisor)
                    [B]Bitumen - A Blatant Waste of Taxpayers Money[/B]

Comment

Hi Mark
                      That sounds like an awsome trip. Excellent report writing skills by the way. I enjoyed every bit.
                      2004 GXL V6, full house
                      My build up here [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?17294-Project-Boomslang-2004-GXL-V6[/url]

Comment

Mark what a great write up and photo's , it was as if I was reading it in 4WD Action mag !
                        Maybe you should consider writing for them ?
                        I was in Corner Country this time last year and it was pretty dry but I'll take your advice re emergency tucker for my next trip.
                        Cheers
                        Ross

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                        mencisport.com
                        antalya escort
                        tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                        deneme bonusu veren siteler
                        gaziantep escort
                        gaziantep escort
                        asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                        erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort