No announcement yet.

Odd number of driving lights illegal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Odd number of driving lights illegal???

The Qld thingy also says that the ARD must be compiled with as well... the first point in the general section. However...

1. The ADR specifically talks about mounting either one or two lights. If two lights there are symmetry requirements.
    2. The total light output has a limit of 225,000 cd

ADR here... maybe?
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legisla ... D6000354D1
    2004 GX TD; Some extra stuff... and a big wish list...

Comment

Originally posted by dereki
      The Qld thingy also says that the ARD must be compiled with as well... the first point in the general section. However...

1. The ADR specifically talks about mounting either one or two lights. If two lights there are symmetry requirements.
      2. The total light output has a limit of 225,000 cd

ADR here... maybe?
      http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legisla ... D6000354D1
      that one appears to be for bikes and scooters and mopeds,

but doing some searching on possibly the worst government website ever; i have it in black and white.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... lation.pdf

6.1.5. In addition to the main beam headlamps in paragraph 6.1 of Appendix A,
      a further two or four driving lamps may be installed as long as they
      comply with clause 7.3 of this standard.
      7.3. DRIVING LAMPS
      7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.
      7.3.2. Number:
      7.3.2.1. Two or four.
      7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.
      7.3.3. Arrangement:
      No individual specifications
      7.3.4. Position:
      7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.
      7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.
      7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that the light
      emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either directly or
      indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other reflecting surfaces
      of the vehicle.
      7.3.5. Geometric visibility:
      No individual specifications.
      7.3.6. Orientation:
      Towards the front.
      7.3.7. Electrical connections:
      The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the main-beam
      headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.
      7.3.8. Tell tale: No requirement.
      7.3.9. Others:
      The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps as
      specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A, can be exceeded with the
      fitment and illumination of driving
      7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications. indicating to me that there is no max height??

either way, now we know.

Comment

This regards SA and not other states as rules obviously vary from state to state. I was at a mates place last night and this topic came up and we were talking about a few people we know that run light combos that dont meet the legal requirements, one of these guys has apparantly been through regency and he gets away 5 lights on his roof rack + 4 spotties on his bar because the ones on his roof are for "off road only". they have a secondary switch but still are hooked up through the high beam.
        So back to my original question of 3 spotties across the front of the bar. If i wire up 2 of them as per normal and then add a third on a seperate isolation switch but still through the high beam switch this could be ok so long as the third light is only used "off road" :wink:
        i will check this option with regency when i get a chance. I am still wading through all the possible different light styles, brands and types trying to pick something out, its starting to hurt my head and my wallet is starting to cringe as well. My mate mentioned he has downgraded his HID lights that he wasnt happy with to HIR, dont know anything about these so more research i guess.

Cheers Andrew
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

AJ120 wrote:
          one of these guys has apparantly been through regency and he gets away 5 lights on his roof rack + 4 spotties on his bar because the ones on his roof are for "off road only". they have a secondary switch but still are hooked up through the high beam.
          Well when he said has been through regency he must have meant driving through the suburb :?
          I rang the DTEI and spoke to someone in the vehicle compliance department and was told the following.
          :arrow: Maximum six lights
          :arrow: Lights Must be in "pairs"
          :arrow: lights must be on the front of the car, on the roofrack is not the front of the car.
          :arrow: All lights must work, through high beam etc so no additional "off road lights allowed"
          This pretty much confirms what has been said before, added to that the fact that i have opted for IPF 900 XS which are only available in pairs means that three spotties across the front is not an option!

or is it....................The DTEI bloke said that the only exception is for a "work light" that can only be turned on from outside the vehicle. So if you are after the look, a third spottie could be added so long as it can only be turned on from outside the vehicle and used as a work light. It only seems reasonable to me that when i fit my winch i will need a front work light for all the times i will be getting bogged at night and needing to winch, but dont want to use all the lights because of the power draw :wink: i think i can probably work with that. oh and BTW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

now i was sure i had a 2 way switch lying around somewhere, i reckon i might have a use for one down the track :wink:

Cheers Andrew

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

A couple of other things Andew that is not listed in your above post is that there is a minimum and maximum height for the lights and there is a maximum lumens output allowable.
            [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
            [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
            [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
            [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

[quote="AJ120TW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no problems?) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
              The outside 2 are spots and the middle 1 a spread.
              These spots are almost like pencil beams, when I bought the first pair I got 1 of each, thats why I went with the third (2nd spottie). It was woeful.
              A very strong light with massive distance, but such a
              Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
              W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Comment

[quote="AJ120TW i picked up a set of IPF 900 XS for 200 bucks on ebay so i might have to see if another set comes up at some stage.

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no problems?) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
                These spots are almost like pencil beams, when I bought the first pair I got 1 of each, thats why I went with the third (2nd spottie). It was woeful.
                A very strong light with massive distance, but such a
                Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

Comment

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I have 3 lights on my bar (about 4 years now and no legal problems as yet) and I have the IPF 900 XS's.
                  A very strong light with massive distance, but such a small spread of light. with the 2 spots I can spread the zone to atleast see both sides of the road, with a spread in the middle to help general illumination.
                  Now its awesome.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, what you have is pretty much what i was thinking of doing. My ARB bar is being painted this week and then i can fit the 2 IPF's i have, then i can make a decision on whether to add a third or do something else. I have 1 spot and 1 spread beam.

Cheers Andrew

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Just to add fuel to this flaming fire...

I want to go with 3 spots across the front also, so I rang the Dept of Transport in WA - the guy tried to convince me that 'spotlights' can not be used under any circumstances on any gazetted road - HA - then I clarified that by spotlights, I meant brands like IPF, Hella, Lightforce, etc. and that I am talking about forward facing driving lights - he still insisted spotlights cannot be used on a gazetted road - PFFTTT - so I thought, well does that mean you can have as many spotlights as you like fitted to your vehicle, so long as you only use them off road? And I also said do they have to be fitted in pairs? I think his brain exploded with this one, so I left my details as he wasn't sure and will get back to me.

He also stated that in WA Fog Lights have their own rules and do not come under the term driving lights and cannot be used in conjunction with 'driving lights', so not included in total number.

I'll report back with his response when I get it.
                      NOW FOR SALE!!! - 2004 Silver GXL 3lt 4spd Auto - ARB Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, Redarc Dual Battery System, Cooper ST MAXX, Dark Tint, IPF900XS spots, Raised Bilstein/Kings Suspension/Firestone Airbags, Autosafe Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabbers, Rola Roof Rack Stuff, Insect Screen, Dust/Wind Deflectors, Sheepskin/Black Duck Seatcovers, GME TX3510, ARB underbonnet compressor, Allied Hammer Rims, ARB UVP, [url="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18043-Rock-sliders-steel-side-steps"]AJ Sliders[/url]

Comment

Madkore, maybe you should have been using the work "driving light" instead of "spot light" :? . Hope you get an answer back on this sometime this year :shock: .
                        [B]Tasmania 2015 GTG Committee Member[/B] 2005 Prado Pilbara, Sovereign Bar, Driver & passenger weathershields, UHF TX3220, Spare wheel spaces, Lifestyle rack, Genuine front & midrow seatcovers, Genuine front & midrow rubber floor mats, ARB 47 litre fridge/freezer, Hilux washer jets, BF Goodridge A/T, Radiator protection plate, Dual battery tray and isolator, ARB 2.5m awning, Rhino heavy duty areo bars, MSA rear wheel bin, MAXTRAX

Comment

Heard back from WA Dept of Transport yesterday.

Maximum of 6 forward facing driving lights, which includes headlights but NOT fog lights (as stated above).

Required to be fitted in pairs.

So basically I can have 4 'spotlights' but not 3..., go figure.
                          NOW FOR SALE!!! - 2004 Silver GXL 3lt 4spd Auto - ARB Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, Redarc Dual Battery System, Cooper ST MAXX, Dark Tint, IPF900XS spots, Raised Bilstein/Kings Suspension/Firestone Airbags, Autosafe Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabbers, Rola Roof Rack Stuff, Insect Screen, Dust/Wind Deflectors, Sheepskin/Black Duck Seatcovers, GME TX3510, ARB underbonnet compressor, Allied Hammer Rims, ARB UVP, [url="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18043-Rock-sliders-steel-side-steps"]AJ Sliders[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Madkore
                            Heard back from WA Dept of Transport yesterday.

Maximum of 6 forward facing driving lights, which includes headlights but NOT fog lights (as stated above).

Required to be fitted in pairs.

So basically I can have 4 'spotlights' but not 3..., go figure.

I found the ADR the other day. With some searching, its on the commonwealth legal web site somewhere...
                            In one part of the ADR it talks about the installation of lights.. symmetric etc. and also mounting 1 light in the middle.
                            In another part of the ADR it says they must be mounted in pairs as 2 or 4 lights. DOH.

Most states refer to the ADR and add a little bit around the edges for the state regulations, so as far as I can tell.. its 2 or 4 driving lights, each pair must be mounted not wider than the main lights and symmetrically. From memory there was no height restriction, so roof lights are ok from the ADR, but state regulations might have something to say about it.

There is also a maximum light output for all lights together but thats another story.

In Queenland for example... cut from here http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/5f455 ... hicles.pdf

Specific (Driving lamps)
                            • Two additional pairs of driving lamps may be fitted to a motor
                            vehicle.
                            • The driving lamps must be mounted symmetrically on the vehicle.
                            • The light emitted must not cause the driver discomfort either
                            directly or indirectly through the rear view mirror and/or other
                            reflecting surfaces of the motor vehicle.
                            • Driving lamps must not be placed wider than the dipped beam
                            headlamps.
                            • The colour of light emitted from driving lamps must be white.
                            • Additional driving lamps must only operate in conjunction with the
                            high beam circuit and must be fitted with an independent on/off
                            switch.
                            • There is no individual height specification for the fitting of driving
                            lamps.

D
                            2004 GX TD; Some extra stuff... and a big wish list...

Comment

Well, the plot thickens...

I decided to do a lil web search myself of the WA Vehicle Standards rules and found that under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002 - Reg 74. How additional headlights are to be fitted, it states: 'If 2 or more additional headlights are fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, the additional headlights must be as far as possible be fitted in pairs.'

I take that to mean that I can fit more headlights, but they only need to be in pairs if it is possible..., so I could claim that I wanted to fit 4 lights, but it was not possible, so I fitted 3 instead...

I think I may be reading into this however I want and am trying to convince myself I can have 3 spotties - not that I want to get into an argument with a Police person...

Comment

Madkore,

I have been running around with 3 spots hanging off my bar for about 12 months now. Passed heaps of cops and never had any problems at all. Really I think the laws are there to stop the rednecks in FJ40's running 7 bullbar spots and another 8 roof spots.

Run the gauntlet mate!

Chriso
                                [COLOR=blue]Current rig - 150 GXL D4D Auto TJM bullbar. Airtec Snorkel. ARB Underbonnet Comp.
                                Previous rig - 02 TD GXL.[/COLOR]

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X