Warped Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped Rotors

Iíve checked in numerous topics with related titles but donít seem to find this same issue being reported or discussed already.
    My 2013 prado is suffering from the same dredded brake shuddering that was caused by warped rotors just as I experienced with my old Hilux.
    Itís pretty frustrating as my mechanic said that one solution in my Hilux was to upgrade to Prado bakes.. luckily I didnít do that.

I want to know if this a known problem with the Prado rotors?

Secondly, does the DBA T2 and Bendix 4wd rotor/pad upgrade fix this and also does it provide a better braking system to OE?

Known issue on standard rotors. DBA T2 or T3 upgrade and DBA pads.

Comment

Yep, as above. Front and rear.
      My 150 build - http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27423-A-Random-approach-to-a-Bluestorm-150-GXL-D4D-automatic

Comment

Yes i installed DBA T2 and Bendix 4wd pads on mine and it's a fantastic combo, highly recommend it. Also yours being a 2013 get some extra brake fluid and do a full flush until it runs clean.
        2007 120 GXL D4D 6sp Man - My Rig https://www.pradopoint.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24945&d=1487341201

Comment

Zebra, do you brake down a long steep hill(s) regularly causing excessive heat buildup in the brakes? If so, start using the transmission to help slow the car so you only have to feather the brakes lightly. I used to have to replace rotors yearly until I fine tuned my driving stile. Havenít had a warped rotor in years now.
          2005 120 series V6 Grande, 2 inch susp lift (King/EFS combo), 32 inch MT’s, Safari Snorkel, rear diff lock, breathers, Light Force spotlights, UHF, dual batteries.

Comment

If you brake heavily, once you come to a stop, release the brake pedal and apply the handbrake. Change to N if you have to to stop the Prado crawling forward.
            If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
            My Rig Build up

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for responses.
              Brett1979
              Iíve only driven it a hand full of times since recently owning it. My wife is the main driver until I give myself a holiday... Itís not as bad as my previous hilux but itís definitely noticeable and more so when feathering actually. I often use the transmission to help shave speed. I canít rely the misses to do the same..
              amts
              The real surprise is just how poor the initial bite is. When itís a cold start and I shift to D Iíve got to really stamp on the pedal to keep it from rolling away. This does ease up as the engine warms up and revs drop.

For me a vehicle of this size and weight should be braking better than what it is. Upgrade is on the cards with next service.

Comment

Youíre right, Zebra. The Prado should be braking sharply. Youíll love your new rotors & brakes when you get them.
                2005 120 series V6 Grande, 2 inch susp lift (King/EFS combo), 32 inch MT’s, Safari Snorkel, rear diff lock, breathers, Light Force spotlights, UHF, dual batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebra View Post
                  Itís pretty frustrating as my mechanic said that one solution in my Hilux was to upgrade to Prado bakes.. luckily I didnít do that.
                  Actually your mechanic would have been correct. Prado brakes are bigger and thicker than hilux ones so it would have been an upgrade to your hilux.

also I wouldn’t recommend using the gearbox to slow you down. That what the brakes are for. Auto rebuilds are a lot dearer than brake pad/rotor changes.
                  If you have a obd reader you can see the auto temp soar when you use the auto to keep your speeds down rather than the brakes. And heat is the enemy of transmission longevity.

though it does sound like you need new pads/rotors if if won’t hold you properly when shifting to drive..

Comment

Working...
                  X