Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DPF and white smoke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've had the same thing occur occasionally, not often. PDF% will grow quickly 1% every 1km or so, then around 60% (sometimes less), it will drop to the mid 20s and then grow very slowly.

    Once I even had it jump from 6% to over 50%, followed by a DPF regen after just 100Km

    This has happened before the ECU update as well. Then I get some 'normal' PDF cycles.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by cuda View Post
      Ok so after forcing 2 regens to occur the DPF percent is sitting at 0%. So I drive for 4km and it goes to 2% which is no biggy expecting roughly 8 to 10km to shift to 4% but unfortunately next jump 16% and then 20% now sitting at 60% full and Ive only done 40km. This is with the 2018 model and only having driven 22000km. Not looking good. Anyone else monitoring the percentage full?

      An update - New firmware behaves wierdly. I have now driven 76km and the percentage was dropping from 60% all the way down to 24%. Be interesting to see where the final 100% full will be in relation to km's travelled.


      Thanks
      cuda
      Hi Cuda,

      Mine was doing the same thing, even before the ECU update.

      If you could have a look at other posts here, you would be able to find out more about what so called 'PASSIVE REGEN OR RECALCULATION'.

      Cheers,
      2018 Prado 150 VX ARB Summit Bullbar ARB Recovery Points Toyota Towbar Rhino Backbone Pioneer Platform Provent Catch Can and more to go

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RPP View Post
        I've had the same thing occur occasionally, not often. PDF% will grow quickly 1% every 1km or so, then around 60% (sometimes less), it will drop to the mid 20s and then grow very slowly.

        Once I even had it jump from 6% to over 50%, followed by a DPF regen after just 100Km

        This has happened before the ECU update as well. Then I get some 'normal' PDF cycles.
        So how many KM's have you doen with your vehicle so far? I have since done another 3 forced regens to see if I can improve on the km's before a burn. I've had 3 now around 170km. Hoping to see an improvement now I have smashed the DPF filter with some serious burning.
        2018 150 Series Crystal Pearl Prado VX 2.8l. 2 inch King springs and Bilstein shocks, Airtek TJM snorkel.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by vxowner18 View Post

          Hi Cuda,

          Mine was doing the same thing, even before the ECU update.

          If you could have a look at other posts here, you would be able to find out more about what so called 'PASSIVE REGEN OR RECALCULATION'.

          Cheers,
          The Passive regen isn't real. I've seen the DPF go from 70% back to 10% after leaving it overnight with no heat added in between.

          I'm suspecting that Toyota is finally using the differential sensors for feedback and thats how the percentage full is now worked out. Toyota dealer was unable to provide me with information about the change in the program and if the differential sensors are being used.
          2018 150 Series Crystal Pearl Prado VX 2.8l. 2 inch King springs and Bilstein shocks, Airtek TJM snorkel.

          Comment


          • Experienced my first dpf burn today... car has 6000km Iím sure itís done it lots when the missus drives it but first time Iíve noticed it happen ?

            was doing some start stop driving and noticed the car was a little louder and the revs were just below 1000rpm at idle when at traffic lights

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cuda View Post

              So how many KM's have you doen with your vehicle so far? I have since done another 3 forced regens to see if I can improve on the km's before a burn. I've had 3 now around 170km. Hoping to see an improvement now I have smashed the DPF filter with some serious burning.
              My 2018 GXL will clock up 30,000Km in the next week.

              I have logged all full regens that have occurred (88 so far).

              Pre ECU update the regens have occurred mostly after 300km - 370Kms, occasionally hi 200Kms. Regens have taken 6-8Km at 15-30Km/hr, 15-25Km @ city speeds, and 70-100Km @highway speeds. One outlier as mentioned above.


              Post ECU update the few regens that have occurred were after 300-350Kms and one at 230Kms. But the burns have been very quick 10, 21(@ highway speeds), 13 & 6Kms.

              The quick buildup of DPF% from 0-6% to over 50% followed by a big drop is hard the fathom. My one theory is that, when empty, the DPF can soot up superficially very quickly and form a thin barrier which affects the differential pressure, but at some point this soot barrier cant hold back the exhaust pressure and so gets blown out. Thus the big drop in DPF% reading.
              Last edited by RPP; 17-04-2019, 12:18 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by cuda View Post

                The Passive regen isn't real. I've seen the DPF go from 70% back to 10% after leaving it overnight with no heat added in between.

                I'm suspecting that Toyota is finally using the differential sensors for feedback and thats how the percentage full is now worked out. Toyota dealer was unable to provide me with information about the change in the program and if the differential sensors are being used.
                I don't believe passive regen is real either, as I've quite a lot of soot% dropping on Torque, and the highest exhaust temp didn't even go over 400c', which was not hot enough for a passive regen.

                However, I haven't seen such a big soot% drop on my car ever, 70% down to 10%??? The biggest drop I have seen on my car was from high 60% back to low 40%. And also, the soot% stays the same as the read when the engine was turned off, the soot% always drops while the car is moving.

                The regen takes 270-330km interval pre and post ECU update. I haven't picked up any obvious change except the regen now finishes within 10mins mark. The slower I drive, the less time it takes. The max exhaust temp reached 737c'.

                My car is now approaching 20,000km now.
                2018 Prado 150 VX ARB Summit Bullbar ARB Recovery Points Toyota Towbar Rhino Backbone Pioneer Platform Provent Catch Can and more to go

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RPP View Post

                  My 2018 GXL will clock up 30,000Km in the next week.

                  I have logged all full regens that have occurred (88 so far).

                  Pre ECU update the regens have occurred mostly after 300km - 370Kms, occasionally hi 200Kms. Regens have taken 6-8Km at 15-30Km/hr, 15-25Km @ city speeds, and 70-100Km @highway speeds. One outlier as mentioned above.


                  Post ECU update the few regens that have occurred were after 200-350Kms and one at 230Kms. But the burns have been very quick 10, 21(@ highway speeds), 13 & 6Kms.

                  The quick buildup of DPF% from 0-6% to over 50% followed by a big drop is hard the fathom. My one theory is that, when empty, the DPF can soot up superficially very quickly and form a thin barrier which affects the differential pressure, but at some point the this soot barrier cant hold back the exhaust pressure and so gets blown out. Thus the big drop in DPF% reading.
                  I didn't log all my regenerations, but by looking at yours, mine is a quite similar case. my car is approach 20,000 km soon.
                  2018 Prado 150 VX ARB Summit Bullbar ARB Recovery Points Toyota Towbar Rhino Backbone Pioneer Platform Provent Catch Can and more to go

                  Comment


                  • @ Cuda when you triggered a manual burn and got the % to drop to zero did you notice that the FB had reverted to 1.00? this is what my FB was on leaving the dealer after the update but after 3 regens before the car was stood up it had risen back to 1.04 so I am wondering if the dealer's update reset it or the fact that the burn reduced the % to zero which doesn't usually happen.
                    We all seem to agree that the burn after the update is faster, so for this to happen the temperatures must be hotter? yet in the short time that I had to monitor after the update my temperatures were fine but I cant honestly say that they were that much higher than before. Bear in mind that I haven't had a problem, I am just curious.
                    As for the "recalculation" what is that all about? why would the % rise quickly after a burn then "reset" to a more sensible level? I think the bloke who wrote this software has some explaining to do!
                    It fascinates me that several owners have asked dealers questions and they don't seem to have a clue how all this works, what is the point of Toyota keeping their own dealers in the dark, let alone their customers?

                    Comment


                    • Another update - Performed 4 manual forced burns and have now travelled 120km and DPF percentage stable and only increasing slowly and currently 48%. I'm thinking if DPF is starting to block then the DPF percentage is unstable and will go up and down without an actual burn taking place. Perhaps it would be prudent for users to force a burn if they start to see this behaviour.

                      Thanks
                      Doug
                      2018 150 Series Crystal Pearl Prado VX 2.8l. 2 inch King springs and Bilstein shocks, Airtek TJM snorkel.

                      Comment


                      • Further to this saga. After the update the engine appears smoother and quieter and is using about 8-10% less fuel but I have only done about 500 km since the update and installation of the Custom Mode and switch.BUT the one burn was at about 300 km [20-30 km better] and very quick - much quicker in fact. However I did not get the flashing light nor could I get the switch to work. Hmm. Back to dealer and got to see the head tech bloke. He plugged in Tech stream which showed DPF at about 60% [200 km since last burn.] He initiated a burn which quickly bought the temp up to 700 deg. he was able to get DPF to 100% at which point the light flashed and I was able to turn the burn on and off at will ie whole system normal and functioning. It took about 5 mins for the whole burn to occur and DPF back to zero.
                        Now , the interesting part. It did the burn at 1200 rpm [ it is an auto] which he says is the correct idle speed for a burn in Prados and HILuxes manual and auto . I told him that every burn for the last 30000 km had taken place at 900 rpm and I knew of other autos were the same. No explanation for that he said.
                        The key point he said that often you wont see the light flash because in the right driving conditions the burn will occur before the 100% trigger point for the light. If the light does flash a burn will still occur normally but having the switch allows you instigate a burn at a place of your choosing if needed eg away from long grass. I hope this info is of use.

                        Comment


                        • I can confirm in over over 90,000km my idle has never been above 900 (auto) and since custom mode has been activated it will do a burn every (approx) 300km with DPF light flashing. I have also won the DPF switch lottery and will have my switch installed soon. Iíve got to say Iím feeling a bit more confident that Toyota are finally getting on top of the issue.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X