D4D vibration at 1500rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D4D vibration at 1500rpm

Good luck with Toyota fixing this problem guys, like the 120 series owners who had/have to put up with bad injectors in the initial models Toyota washed their hands of that problem and left the owners whistling in the wind. Let's hope they don't do the same with this problem.
    Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
    Pradopoint GTG website:
    [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
    My Weather Station In Alice
    [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
    My photo website:
    [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Had my 150 D4D in today for a service and sanity has returned, no more rattle. In my case it was the plastic panel below the wipers that was vibrating and making the noise, packing installed, all good. Yes only the symptom has been fixed but I am happy. Thankyou Castle Hill Toyota for a job well done!
      2010 150 Glacier White GXL D4D Auto

Comment

I took my car for service at Downtown Toyota in Brisbane and they fixed the problem. I have been driving the car for several days and there is no rattle at all. According to the dealer, Toyota issued an statement to all dealers (at least in QLD) reporting the problem and detailed instructions (with photos) how to fix it. I am really happy about it.
        Kakadu D4D Silver

Comment

Greetings all - I started this thread a few months back and I've experienced varying degrees of success in getting it sorted. The dealer in Adelaide (Cornes) have been very helpful in working through this problem. About 2000 k's ago, they "packed out the guard and inlet pipe" as described in several posts. The service manager said at the time he believed the problem would creep back in as the foam packing sorted itself out and that is now the case. The vibe is slowly but surely making its way back at 1500 rpm. As a lot of people have said, the packing is masking the core problem. The bus is due for the 10,000 at the end of October and I will bring the vibe to their attention once more. On a side note, the clunk in the drivetrain when stopping and taking off again has appeared on my GXL at about 6000 k's. Seems the general opinion elsewhere in the forums is that the tailshaft needs some grease and the problem is a hangover from the 120 series. On a side side note, you have to wonder what is going on with Japan - I'm in the aviation business and saw an Airworthiness Directive last week re an aircraft seat manufacturer from Japan. Falsified and incomplete testing data on the structural integrity and vertical burn testing means 10's of thousands of aircraft seats must be removed from planes around the world. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant "Jap Crap"? They got their ducks aligned and then "Made in Japan" meant it was about the best there is. Are we sliding back to "Jap Crap"? Don't get me wrong, I love my Prado but some of these niggles just shouldn't happen IMHO. :cry:
          Cheers,
          Soz
          2010 GXL Diesel, Cooper AT3's, TJM T13, Scanguage II, Sandgrabba's, Ridepro springs and shocks, dual battery, Icom 440N, Rhino pioneer tray...

Comment

Re: D4D vibration at RPM

Totally agree, disappointing from a make that was renown for its quality. Get your dealer to check the plastic below the wipers as that may need to be packed out as well (see my earlier post). Good luck with the drive shaft, mine was re-greased and it still does it, not as bad, but it's still there.

Comment

I have had my 150 diesel for 7 months. The vibration and booming noise became noticable after about 200km I have now done nearly 11000km. I reported it to the dealer and when I was told that it was a CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS MODEL I spoke to the customer experience centre (CEC). A case was opened and they spoke to the dealer. The dealer then spent some time on the 150 rotated the air intake 180 degrees and reduced the booming or reverberation by about 80%. The service supervisor told me that if the intake pipe to the air cleaner was left off the vibration and the booming went away totally. The vibration has caused some rattles some of which have been fixed but the one in the dash has not. In fact it is not from the dash but a trim at the outside botom of the windscreen. I have emailed the CEC twice and have not heard a peep from them with respect to this or any other problem relayed to them in the emails. I am currently away and I was told by an interstate dealer that the entire problem is due to the air intake system as the Hilux does not have the problem even though it it the same engine etc but with a different air intake system. I have also heard reports that installing a snorkel system gets rid of the problem but I don't need or want a snorkel. If a snorkel will fix the problem so would a slightly longer air intake pipe. I am still being told by my dealer service manager that they cannot do any more to my vehicle with respect to the booming and vibration as they have been told by Toyota not to do any vehicle mods until or unless it is a Toyota supplied solution. They also told me again that it, being the problem, is a CHARACTERISTIC OF THIS MODEL and that they all do it. As far as I am concerned they all may do it but the demo that I drove did not do it because if it did I would not have bought the vehicle. How long is it going to take for Toyota to rectify this problem as well as the new issue of the automatic downshift hesitation on acceleration? If anyone knows please post as Toyota seem to have stopped responding.

Comment

As stated in a previous post, my vibration rattle (symptom) was rectified by packing under the plastic below the wipers. Can't comment on your 'booming' noise as I can't hear any other noises. The vibration is still there but no other rattles as this stage.

The Toyota service department I took my D4D said Toyota Australia were aware of the 2400rpm flat spot and lodged a DPR. They advised me that I would be notified when a fix was available (refer to my previous comments under the 2400rpm flat spot thread).

Comment

I picked up my 150 at the beginning of the month from Mosman Toyota in Sydney, drove to Melbourne (1000 km service at Cannon Toyota and mentioned that the motor seemed noisy) and drove back to Perth. Really don't have any rattles but having hired a 120 and driven it through CSR, Talawana, gary and Gunbarrel from Broome to Port Augusta I was sold on the all round of the Prado (and still am). The 120 didn't have this drone or drumming (Not a rattle) at the 1500rpm. Nor the flat spot on acceleration. These two aspects are a real disappoinment after having driven the 120 through all sorts of country and been really pleased with it. This thread has given me the background to do some investigation but I am wondering what the reception will be like if I havn't taken it back to the dealer where I purchased the car. Sydney is a wee bit far to go for a service. Can any Perth ites give me lead on where to take the 150 to talk about this issue?
                  Ken
                  2010 150 D4D Kakadu, Graphite, Toyota tow bar, Tint, Mats, Headlight Protectors, Redarc dual battery and Brake controller,Sahara Bar,Safari Snorkel,Icom440,OME suspension,Steinbauer module,Genesis HID lights.

Comment

I took my car in last week to the dealer and asked the Service Manager and one of the mechanics to come for a drive. They both acknowledged the vibration for the short trip around the dealership.

They insulated the air intake more, tightened the drivers front guard and insulated some sort of air guard (excuse my description)under the drivers guard.

Touch wood this has stopped the majority of the vibration.

Paul

Comment

• Re: D4D vibration at 1500rpm

Much has now been written about this. I too have recently taken delivery of a GX 150 D4D. Having watched the forum for some time before delivery, the vibration issue was one I was aware of (thank you). Took the vehicle in for the first (free) service the other day and reported the vibration at 1500. When I collected the car they agreed that there was a vibration and that in the time available they were not able to diagnose where it was coming from (other than it was not the drivetrain). It is only slight at this stage and because I don't happen to have any loose panels or such then it is a little harder to find the sympton and cure it. I have to take it back for them to have another look and I will point them towards the window/RH guard/air intake area. However I believe you have all been treating symptons not the problem. The problem I believe is that the engine at 1500 rpm develops a harmonic vibration with some item attached to the engine. Could be the transmission or some other part of the drive train, could be the turbo, could be any number of items. The bottom line is you are probably not going to fix this with out a redesign of a moving item in the engine, possible the crankshaft or camshaft etc. I say this from my experience with aircraft. I have owned an old airplane for many years which had a Franklin horizontally opposed air cooled six cylinder motor built in 1947 in it. This engine, vary smooth normally, when fitted with a metal propellor developed a harmonic resonance which was quite destructive. The instruction from the designer was to place a prohibition on operating the engine between 2050 and 2250 revs. Whenever you entered this rev range you instantly felt the vibrations. My guess is that is what is happening here, the engine has a very mild harmonic resonance at 1500 rpm with something attached to the engine. The result being that other areas of poor workmanship start to vibrate. Just my opinion but I would be suprised if we ever truly fix this problem.
                      Cheers, love the vehicle by the way and just starting to add the bling.
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by vh_ofc
                        Much has now been written about this. I too have recently taken delivery of a GX 150 D4D. Having watched the forum for some time before delivery, the vibration issue was one I was aware of (thank you). Took the vehicle in for the first (free) service the other day and reported the vibration at 1500. When I collected the car they agreed that there was a vibration and that in the time available they were not able to diagnose where it was coming from (other than it was not the drivetrain). It is only slight at this stage and because I don't happen to have any loose panels or such then it is a little harder to find the sympton and cure it. I have to take it back for them to have another look and I will point them towards the window/RH guard/air intake area. However I believe you have all been treating symptons not the problem. The problem I believe is that the engine at 1500 rpm develops a harmonic vibration with some item attached to the engine. Could be the transmission or some other part of the drive train, could be the turbo, could be any number of items. The bottom line is you are probably not going to fix this with out a redesign of a moving item in the engine, possible the crankshaft or camshaft etc. I say this from my experience with aircraft. I have owned an old airplane for many years which had a Franklin horizontally opposed air cooled six cylinder motor built in 1947 in it. This engine, vary smooth normally, when fitted with a metal propellor developed a harmonic resonance which was quite destructive. The instruction from the designer was to place a prohibition on operating the engine between 2050 and 2250 revs. Whenever you entered this rev range you instantly felt the vibrations. My guess is that is what is happening here, the engine has a very mild harmonic resonance at 1500 rpm with something attached to the engine. The result being that other areas of poor workmanship start to vibrate. Just my opinion but I would be suprised if we ever truly fix this problem.
                        Cheers, love the vehicle by the way and just starting to add the bling.
                        Interesting Mike, you could well be right, the only physical difference I am aware of between the 150 series D4D and the 120 series is the location of the intercooler for the turbo....I wonder..........

Comment

Have now got 16000km on my VX D4D, and was lucky enough to have a sympathetic service manager (the guys at Phillip Toyota are very customer focused). They did the repack of some kit in the RHS A-Pillar, the plastic cover under the wipers and loosened and retightened the front guard, this removed the annoying rattles that are the symptom of the vibration.

The root cause is far more difficult to identify. As stated in the post above, harmonic vibration is the culprit, and it is my bet that there will not be a fix. When an engine is running, there is reciprocating weight being thrown around at relatively high speeds. All engines vibrate (except possibly the Rolls Royce they can sit a coin on its edge and rev it without the coin falling over), and any peripheral devices bolted to the engine magnify the effects of vibration. Combined with a transmission with multiple rotating components, and tracking down the actual root cause becomes a long and drawn out process. Retrofit of any solution is likely to be a significant effort, and would involve huge recall costs.

It would be my view that the absolute best that we can hope for is ongoing support in reducing and managing the symptoms. Maybe they will test the next model a little more thoroughly, assuming that they acknowledge it as a design flaw.

Being completely honest, I think that generally we have high expectations these days. The last diesel I owned rattled and vibrated like there was no tomorrow and the Prado is a dream in comparison. It is annoying to spend that many dollars and have little niggles, but in comparison to most of the competitors it is still a very nice vehicle.

My advice would be to take a few moments to build a good rapport with your service department, and encourage them to work with you to rectify the symptoms because I don't think the vibration is going away any time soon. Far from Utopian, but it should provide a satisfactory outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by thylacene
                            Have now got 16000km on my VX D4D, and was lucky enough to have a sympathetic service manager (the guys at Phillip Toyota are very customer focused). They did the repack of some kit in the RHS A-Pillar, the plastic cover under the wipers and loosened and retightened the front guard, this removed the annoying rattles that are the symptom of the vibration.

The root cause is far more difficult to identify. As stated in the post above, harmonic vibration is the culprit, and it is my bet that there will not be a fix. When an engine is running, there is reciprocating weight being thrown around at relatively high speeds. All engines vibrate (except possibly the Rolls Royce they can sit a coin on its edge and rev it without the coin falling over), and any peripheral devices bolted to the engine magnify the effects of vibration. Combined with a transmission with multiple rotating components, and tracking down the actual root cause becomes a long and drawn out process. Retrofit of any solution is likely to be a significant effort, and would involve huge recall costs.

It would be my view that the absolute best that we can hope for is ongoing support in reducing and managing the symptoms. Maybe they will test the next model a little more thoroughly, assuming that they acknowledge it as a design flaw.

Being completely honest, I think that generally we have high expectations these days. The last diesel I owned rattled and vibrated like there was no tomorrow and the Prado is a dream in comparison. It is annoying to spend that many dollars and have little niggles, but in comparison to most of the competitors it is still a very nice vehicle.

My advice would be to take a few moments to build a good rapport with your service department, and encourage them to work with you to rectify the symptoms because I don't think the vibration is going away any time soon. Far from Utopian, but it should provide a satisfactory outcome.
                            I agree, the drive shaft thump peeves me more than the vibration.......

Comment

Ace,
                              I was interested to read on PPoint your post about the adding of the snorkel to the D4D engine and that it has stopped the rattle but not the vibration (pity about the latter). I am also pissed off with the vibration and the DRONE that seems to accompany this vibration. Has the snorkel decreased the noise that comes from this vibration? It seems as though the ehgine is really labouring when it is in 5th and going up a slight incline. The only way I can decrease the DRONE is to accelerate orkick it down to 4th. Would be interested in your comments
                              2010 150 D4D Kakadu, Graphite, Toyota tow bar, Tint, Mats, Headlight Protectors, Redarc dual battery and Brake controller,Sahara Bar,Safari Snorkel,Icom440,OME suspension,Steinbauer module,Genesis HID lights.

Comment

Hey guys i joined up recently but havnt had a chance to come back and check things out... I am actually a master toyota tech... AND own a 2010 GX
                                have any of your dealers dealt with the D4D dash rattle problem yet?
                                On the off chance they have no idea (likely )....
                                there is a little plastic tab on the windscreen trim on the exterior of the RHS A Pillar that sits underneath the rubber cover at the bottom corner of the windscreen...
                                due to the intake being in the RH guard it naturally cause some vibration of the quarter panel and is being transfered through to the dash area via the plastic tab...
                                After removing the tab from the trim (which does not cause any negative affect) the vibrations around 1500rpm are gone
                                Hope it helps you guys, let me know

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X