X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Prado 2.8 Diesel engine rattle

Hi all,

After some feed back on my issue.

I Have a 2018 Nov built Prado with 11000kms on it. I have in the recent weeks noticed an unusual sound from the engine while idling. The noise is a rattling or a chattering / tapping sound from the engine mostly noticeable while idling warmed up at 700rpm, and the noise is mostly noticeable from the Driver side wheel arch or underneath the vehicle at the front. The noise only seems to be present is while the vehicle is on an incline facing uphill. The noise is sometimes always present and is hard to notice, but at times as per Recording 4 it is ON and OFF and clearly noticeable. The noise is either not present or not heard while the vehicle is flat or facing down hill.
    I have attached in the link below some recordings all taken in front of the Driver side tyre just inside the wheel-arch in all cases the engine was at operating temperature. Best heard with earphones.
    Recording 1. - Engine idling on flat ground
    Recording 2. - Engine idling on an incline facing uphill
    Recording 3. - Engine idling on incline facing downhill
    Recording 4. - Engine idling on an incline facing uphill however on this recording the chattering noise is on and off which is how i noticed it.
    Recording 5. - Recording with a stethoscope with probe placed on RH front of the engine sump.

LINK TO RECORDINGS: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoW89dcD0KTOgTR-L1t6MkPcSwXy?e=y8CUCg

I have also today with the use of a mechanics stethoscope confirmed the tapping noise is coming from the bottom of the engine, mostly prominent by placing stethoscope probe towards the front of the sump cover.

I have so far taken the vehicle to 2 local Toyota service centres with no resolve.

In the first instance the service centre has confirmed that the vehicle sounds as any other Prado and that there is no change to engine noise no matter if vehicle is on an incline or not. This service centre has checked the parameters of the injectors which all are within specification. This service centre as per photo has also overfilled the engine oil at the 6 month service, they have now corrected this (not sure if this is related, noise was present when oil was overfilled after level was corrected)

In the second instance i have taken the vehicle to another Toyota service centre in which case they agreed that there is a noise present, but however have concluded that this is from the 5th injector and all is operating normally. (note in none of these cases a DPF regeneration is not occurring and the vehicle is idling at 700rpm, my understanding is that 5th injector only operates during a DPF regen)

I have yesterday also compared this with a friends 2019 Prado which has done 7000kms side by side at the same operating conditions on the same incline on and the tapping/rattling/chattering noise was not present on the other vehicle.

Whats every ones thoughts on the sounds recorded?
    What could be the possible cause?
    how to proceed next, going too Toyota service seems to be a waste of time?

Has anyone else noticed this on their vehicles, ie different noises when idling on a slope?

Thanks if advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by borak; 11-09-2019, 12:15 PM.

These are my purely layman's opinions so please don't read too much into them, I want to respond though to sympathise and have another moan about dealerships.
    My first thoughts when reading your post about a rattle was timing chain, however can this be ruled out as your Prado would have the upgraded set up? There is much discussion about rattles and timing chain issues on the Fortuner forum although I guess this would mostly be about pre 2018 vehicles. I also don't know if the otherwise identical Tuna engine has balance shafts?
    In my experience overfilling with oil would not cause a rattle, far from it, the only issue may be leakage or the oil getting somewhere it should not be but it would need to be ridiculously overfull to cause a problem.
    I listened to all your recordings and most telling is the later one where it stops and starts, I thought I could hear something similar on an earlier recording but it may have been you moving whatever you used to make the recording.
    The first dealer could not hear the noise which I suppose is fair enough but I wonder what diagnostics they ran apart from checking the injectors. For instance there is a function in Techstream called rough idle, this (I think I am correct in saying) compares each cylinder to check they are all firing evenly. If you have torque pro it is pid 2152 with the equation for the plural rough idle BIT(H:0)
    As for the second dealer words nearly fail me, were they trying to give you some BS to placate you, or are they so stupid that they think the fifth injector which as you say only fires during a regeneration and then only into the exhaust stream could cause a rattle? As I have said so many times before how do they get away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnLynn View Post
      These are my purely layman's opinions so please don't read too much into them, I want to respond though to sympathise and have another moan about dealerships.
      My first thoughts when reading your post about a rattle was timing chain, however can this be ruled out as your Prado would have the upgraded set up? There is much discussion about rattles and timing chain issues on the Fortuner forum although I guess this would mostly be about pre 2018 vehicles. I also don't know if the otherwise identical Tuna engine has balance shafts?
      In my experience overfilling with oil would not cause a rattle, far from it, the only issue may be leakage or the oil getting somewhere it should not be but it would need to be ridiculously overfull to cause a problem.
      I listened to all your recordings and most telling is the later one where it stops and starts, I thought I could hear something similar on an earlier recording but it may have been you moving whatever you used to make the recording.
      The first dealer could not hear the noise which I suppose is fair enough but I wonder what diagnostics they ran apart from checking the injectors. For instance there is a function in Techstream called rough idle, this (I think I am correct in saying) compares each cylinder to check they are all firing evenly. If you have torque pro it is pid 2152 with the equation for the plural rough idle BIT(H:0)
      As for the second dealer words nearly fail me, were they trying to give you some BS to placate you, or are they so stupid that they think the fifth injector which as you say only fires during a regeneration and then only into the exhaust stream could cause a rattle? As I have said so many times before how do they get away with it?
      Yes mate couldn't agree more it is very frustrating dealing with them, unless its something very obvious they just brush you off and either say cant replicate issue or its not a issue. As far as the DPF comment from the second dealer, this was talking directly with the workshop foreman and as you say not sure if he had no idea what the 5th injector is for or was just feeding me BS to get rid of me but in either case no use arguing with him.

I have now emailed Toyota directly and will see what they come back with.

Comment

Working...
      X