No announcement yet.

Does anyone *not* like their 150 Prado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone *not* like their 150 Prado?

Well, I have owned the Prado now for about 3 months, have done lots of little 60k trips, and one larger 1000k trip in it and I still really don't like it much.
    It is a 2010 GX auto with 45000k on it and in immaculate condition and over serviced (by time, not kms) which is not such a bad thing.

But I really don't like it!

It is very comfy to drive, and has made me lazy as I don't need to change gears, a really nice thing.
    The engine in it does seem really nice - not nearly as agricultural as some of the other 3L diesels around, this could be more to do with the auto box though.

BUT:
    It is feels like a poor man's 4x4 (coming from a gu patrol) - even the missus recons the same and in her words "its a pretend 4wd"
    It looks hideous - whoever styled them should be shot - especially the shape around the wheels, it really looks like it was meant to have some flairs put on and they forgot.
    It was very expensive for what you get, but I think this is more a Toyota tax than anything.

Probably my main gripe with it is it is so very 'electronicy' - and you can feel it when you drive:
    It starts breaking for you when you want to put the foot in - most likely ESC
    It dings and carries on at you for any reason what so ever (eg, park, get out, leave keys in car because you are washing it and it starts blaring at you) - I have already jammed a screw into the back of the instrument cluster to allow me to be in the car, with accessories on so that I can listen to the radio when working on it.
    And probably my biggest gripe is: WHAT IS WRONG WITH USING A BLOODY KEY TO START A CAR!? the keyless start is the biggest wank that I have ever come across.

Now, this is post is not to be taken as an insult to anyone - it is just me having a rant - but I would like to know how long it normally takes before you start appreciating a prado, if you didn't 'really' just love them from the start.

We initially bought the Prado as I was wanting another patrol (had a slight issue with a creek up the cape, hence getting a new car), but the missus ended up looking at the 200 series, but they were way out of our price range, and the prado 'kinda looked the same'. I also think that she just didn't want to let me behind the wheel of a car that I could take on 'decent 4wd tracks'.

Oh, I have taught my 22 month old to not call the car 'Daddy's car' any more, but instead the 'Smelly Prado'... it does come out as 'Melly Cardo' but we know what he is on about!

Ok, end of rant!

Cheers,
    Isiman

Originally posted by Isiman View Post
    Well, I have owned the Prado now for about 3 months, have done lots of little 60k trips, and one larger 1000k trip in it and I still really don't like it much.
    It is a 2010 GX auto with 45000k on it and in immaculate condition and over serviced (by time, not kms) which is not such a bad thing.

It is very comfy to drive, and has made me lazy as I don't need to change gears, a really nice thing.
    The engine in it does seem really nice - not nearly as agricultural as some of the other 3L diesels around, this could be more to do with the auto box though.

BUT:
    It is feels like a poor man's 4x4 (coming from a gu patrol) - even the missus recons the same and in her words "its a pretend 4wd"
    It looks hideous - whoever styled them should be shot - especially the shape around the wheels, it really looks like it was meant to have some flairs put on and they forgot.
    It was very expensive for what you get, but I think this is more a Toyota tax than anything.

Probably my main gripe with it is it is so very 'electronicy' - and you can feel it when you drive:
    It dings and carries on at you for any reason what so ever (eg, park, get out, leave keys in car because you are washing it and it starts blaring at you) - I have already jammed a screw into the back of the instrument cluster to allow me to be in the car, with accessories on so that I can listen to the radio when working on it.
    And probably my biggest gripe is: WHAT IS WRONG WITH USING A BLOODY KEY TO START A CAR!? the keyless start is the biggest wank that I have ever come across.

Now, this is post is not to be taken as an insult to anyone - it is just me having a rant - but I would like to know how long it normally takes before you start appreciating a prado, if you didn't 'really' just love them from the start.

We initially bought the Prado as I was wanting another patrol (had a slight issue with a creek up the cape, hence getting a new car), but the missus ended up looking at the 200 series, but they were way out of our price range, and the prado 'kinda looked the same'. I also think that she just didn't want to let me behind the wheel of a car that I could take on 'decent 4wd tracks'.

Oh, I have taught my 22 month old to not call the car 'Daddy's car' any more, but instead the 'Smelly Prado'... it does come out as 'Melly Cardo' but we know what he is on about!

Ok, end of rant!

Cheers,
    Isiman
    If you don't like it then sell it.
    I mean everybody is entitled to their opinions and which I respect the fact that the Prado is not for everyone.
    Though nobody is holding a gun to your head telling you to stick with it - life is too short to settle for something that YOU think is not up to standards.

Comment

Our whole family enjoys the Prado for where it gets us and how it gets there.

For our other car keyless entry was one of my wife's top requirements because she got used to it on the Prado.

All the alarms are a pain, I can't believe that you can't turn them off. The braking you describe caught me out at first, it happens when you move from accelerator to brake fast

Can't help you like the Prado, but ours has become almost part of the family as it's accumulated scratches, dings and general character that remind us of where we've been.
      [B]Steve[/B]

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

Comment

We have loved ours from day 1. Ours is still pretty stock but I reckon they go better off road than they do on road! Mind you on road is pretty comfortable, even with squishy 'arm chair' suspension. I wish I got to drive it more!

Derek
        2014 GXL TD GXL

Comment

I've had mine just over 2 months now? came from a family of patrols and i think the Prado is a more luxury ride while still being able to do all the offroad stuff. Suits us fine as we are 90% city 10% bush as its my daily drive around town until we head out on a weekend or go away.

I love everything about the car except as you have said the DAMN alarms, if anyone knows how to turn them off or the best way to silence them id be very interested! willing to jam a screw in get out to open a gate or get something off the road and the car loses its mind! and ive also had the radio on while washing and the open doors problem, very annoying! Why cant it sense the hand break is on and silence the alarm??? My other gripe is when i head up the road to the deli to grab some milk/break etc and put it on the passenger seat which also results in a sustained ding for the trip home.

BUT once you get it on the road or off the road (with the doors shut) its perfect for everything we do. I think its definitely a better ride as a passenger in a Prado compared to many other 4x4.

My 2c

Comment

Very happy with mine, a petrol auto, goes well, overtakes other cars with ease (unless the van is attached) happy with keyless entry, better than my old 80 series cruiser.

Comment

has anyone looked at all the new nissans :shock: OMG did they hit all of them with the UGLY stick or something.

I don't really care what brand a vehicle is but if it's ugly then it's ugly. I've owned Fords', Holdens, Mitsubishi's, VW, Toyota, Daihatsu, Landrover etc so don't have any real brand loyalty.
              Yeh the 150 series is kinda ugly but it does grow on you eventually. And get use to electronics as all have them now days whether you like them or not.

Patrol rear side looks stupid,
              and what idiot decided that it only comes in a V8 petrol for Australia.
              Pathfinder
              has now become so soft and ugly it's no longer considered a 4x4 by a lot of people. I think Nissan have lost the plot.

Comment

To the OP: You bought the bottom of the range model. You knew what it looked like when you bought it. The gripes you have seem they could of been avoided by buying a GXL or higher spec.
                They are too dear for what you get though but then again so are most 4WD's in this country.
                I personally wouldn't go to a 150 from a 120 though. I don't like the smaller rear cargo area, smaller fuel tank and the 3rd row rear seat design of the 150's. These are 3 main reasons we bought the 120.
                2007 GXL V6 - ARB Bullbar with LED lights, snorkel, extractors, 2 1/4" dual exhaust, K&N filter, dimpled/slotted rotors, headrest dvd players, Ebay Satnav/reverse camera, GME 3100TX, Tigerz11 Side awning on custom brackets with Maxtrax mounts, 300W Invertor, ARB Underbody protection, Lightbar and STZ 265/70 tyres.
                Wish list in order I'll get them: Sliders, 2" lift, E-locker, Winch bar with winch.

Comment

I think the fact you wanted a 200 series or patrol but settled for a Prado is where your problem is.. You had to settle for a Prado. Once you settle you will never be happy.

Comment

Interesting you say that BiLLz0r, one of the things i didn't like about the 120 is the 3rd row seats. They fold up to the sides and you lose quite a bit of area in the back when packing. I was really impressed with the concealed 3rd row in the 150 that can pop up and function in 2 seconds.
                    Although my mate with a 120 just removes them all together to get maximum space which is nice, but you just lose the 3rd row.

Comment

Thanks all for the input, and I completely realise the point of 'no one forcing you to keep it, sell it' but that is not really what I am after.

krypto: yep, that braking does catch you out - normal braking also seems to be very soft breaking to start with and then all of a sudden it feels like you have jammed your foot on the skids... it just seems very electronically controlled - the steering seems the same way.

BiLLz0r: I agree, I think that the 120 does look like a nicer car, and I believe that it has fewer dingdongs and electronic wizardry than the 150 does.

gspy4u: Again, I agree totally with what you are saying about all of those cars - and especially what you are saying about the Nissans - they are just coming out with rubbish these days, but (well, apart from the y62) that is what people are wanting... and I suppose this goes with what toyota is thinking too.

Gogetter: Thanks for that - from the patrol point of view.
                      Isiman
                      Last edited by Isiman; 30-10-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

So, why didn't you go for another patrol, from what I can see, the appear to go for similar prices as an equivalent prado??

I can see where you are coming from with most of your arguments, they are mostly opinions, which you have said, and it just appears, in my oppinion, you didn't buy the car you really wanted.

I personally love the fact that my Prado doesn't feel like a patrol or old cruiser to drive. I came from an 80 series, so have had the "tough, unbreakable, real 4wd" and am really happy with the Prado. The way I see it, is I can now only get 98% of the places I used to be able to, but i can get to those places cheaper, quicker and in alot more comfort.

Was your old patrol a ZD30 or a TD42? If it was a TD42 you wouldn't be happy with a newer ZD30 until it was modified, and if you had a ZD30 I am really surprised you don't like the Prado.

I guess at the end of the day, if we all liked the same car, and had the same needs out of it, the only car the would exist is the Prado

It sounds like you really are unhappy with the spec Prado you got, you say you don't like the electrical stuff in it, yet it feels like a poor mans 4wd, that is probably the one thing i dont really get. To me, and remember this is my oppinion, the GU feels like a poor mans landcruiser, the comfort level of a brand new GU is similar to that so the 100 series, released in 1998, and the early GU compares with the 80 series. These are all "real 4wds" with truck axles in the front. If this is what you want you will never be happy with a "pretend 4wd".

I understand if you can't for whatever reason, but it sounds like you should just buy a GU Patrol, they don't have any of the things you dislike. They are a good car for the most part, but they just aren't as refined as the Prado. Remember though, the Prado you bought is the entry level, which compares to the DX Patrol, which still has steel wheels and no flares. I've got no idea what there comfort level is like inside.

Most of the things you don't like about the Prado also carry over to the 200 series, like the electrical gizmos, the keyless key, the "pretend 4wd", etc. i dont think you would of been happy with that either.

In short, I think while both as have there pluses and minuses, you really sound like you bought the wrong car for what you want. Life is to short to "put up with something". But if you are prepared to I think the little Prado will surprise you with how capable it is for a IFS.

Whatever you do I really hope you can see past the little annoyances you have with the car and enjoy the Prado as much as we all do.
                        [LEFT]Silver 150 Facelift
                        TJM Bullbar, Lightforce Genisis Spots, Dual Battery System with bits from everyone, Powerful 4x4 slider/steps, Kaymar rear bar, "Genuine" Roof Racks, MSA Seatcovers, Dashmat, Tint, LED Interior Globes, Bridgestone D697s [/LEFT]

Comment

Originally posted by Isiman View Post

BUT:

Ok, end of rant!

Cheers,
                          Isiman
                          If you're still unsatisfied perhaps you'd consider a swap. Your 150 for my 95 series.

Points to consider about 95 series:
                          • It looks like a real 4WD
                          • Drives like a real 4WD
                          • The closest it comes to electronic wizardry is the head lights turn off when you open drivers door
                          • No VSC, ABS, A-TRC, HAC, DAC or airbags etc
                          • If you can hear an annoying sound, turn the radio up louder
                          • You need a key to start it - and to lock it
                          • Point it down a steep hill off road and it can really pick up some speed
                          • It comes with third row seats, but they havent been used in years
                          • It has a unique aroma, especially when I've been living out of it in the bush for a few weeks

PM me to make arrangements

Comment

Those new model patrols are easiest the ugliest 4wd I have seen. I had one beside me the other day and even my wife said how ugly they are. Has taken me a while to get used to the 150 with out the flares compared to the 120's but has grown on me. To be honest even if I had the $$$ my decision wouldnt be a prado. Over priced and over rated for the $$$ comparing to other 4wd's with bigger engines, better towing capacity, 6/8 speed auto's, etc etc.. Plus I want the versatility of a ute next time round but again it wouldnt be a hilux, 343nm compared to some of the other utes with 450nm or more and cheaper. Might not have the resale of the hilux (dont know why) but have everthing else and more over a lux.............Cheers Steve
                            Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Comment

I think that the last sentence is exactly where I want to be AussieAndy, and that is what I want to do.
                              And what you say about the GX prado being the same as the DX Patrol is completely incorrect! It is much more like the ST in that it has all the fancy bits... that is how unrefined the patrols are!
                              I have had a 4.2 ute (ages ago), and the last was a 3.0L CRD, and I really think that the prado engine is much more refined than either of them - I think it is a really nice engine, especially mated with the auto.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti