Diff Breathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Breathers

I can see the rear Diff Breather but have not been able to locate the front one. Does any one know where it is?
    I want to extend them and was wondering what others have done and where to.
    Regards
    Crisp Image
    GX 150 with 3rd row seats, Milford Cargo Barrier, factory roof racks,Tekoncha P3 & a duel battery system..

Re: Diff Breathers

In the 120 this is already extended up into the engine bay near the crank battery/engine bay fuse box. I wuold assume this would be the same in the 150.

Troy (Foxclan) posted an image of the 120 front factory diff breather in the 120 thread Factory AT Breather Pipe
    [COLOR=#000080]Nick[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5308&sid=bcbebadd30673f1ac72047e6e8a93d79"]2006 TD GXL Evolution & Trips[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Schaffer/prado][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/45547.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/CooperCreek.jpg[/img] [img]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Schaffer71/Avatar/BendlebyRanges.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ok so after reading and looking and looking and looking I found the breathers mounted on the Firewall. You can see them from the drivers side and are just above the A/T bell housing.
      Is this going to be high enough? Not planning to do really deep water crossings but want to make sure that they will be ok.
      See the photo

Regards
      Crisp Image
      GX 150 with 3rd row seats, Milford Cargo Barrier, factory roof racks,Tekoncha P3 & a duel battery system..

Comment

Great image, I have just looked at my Kakadu and they are in the same spot. Without tracing them all the way back to the origins, are these breathers for the Front Diff, Transmision or Transfer case? :? :?
        Prado 150 Kakadu, D4D 5-Spd Auto, Silver, Full Window Tint, Hayman-Reese Towbar, Rhino-Bars, GME TX3400 radio, ARB Deluxe Combination Bar, Hella 2000 Driving Lights. PE Brake controller and Complete Campsite XT Camper Trailer

Comment

These breathers are the transmission and transfere case. The front diff is next to the fuse box under the bonned about level with the bottom. This one should be OK. I have extended my trans and transfer box up to the fire wall. Not hard to do just take a little time. The riear diff breather has been extended up near the fuel filler.
          Regards
          Crisp Image

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp Image
            These breathers are the transmission and transfere case. The front diff is next to the fuse box under the bonned about level with the bottom. This one should be OK. I have extended my trans and transfer box up to the fire wall. Not hard to do just take a little time. The riear diff breather has been extended up near the fuel filler.
            Regards
            Crisp Image
            Crisp Image, thanks for the info, It's greatlly appreciated. Would you believe that the local ARB wanted to drill holes into my Transmission and Transfer case to fit the breathers????? :shock: :shock: I'm glad i said NO Thanks
            Prado 150 Kakadu, D4D 5-Spd Auto, Silver, Full Window Tint, Hayman-Reese Towbar, Rhino-Bars, GME TX3400 radio, ARB Deluxe Combination Bar, Hella 2000 Driving Lights. PE Brake controller and Complete Campsite XT Camper Trailer

Comment

If the breather caps are like the 120 versions, then all they'll be is a spring loaded rubber plate which works fine for expanding air, but not so great at dealing with cooling air, such as what happens when you do a creek crossing.

If you remove one of the caps most likely you'll hear a slight sucking sound which is the diff/transmission equalising with the outside air. I'd suggest extending your breathers and adding a free flowing filter/breather to the ends, plenty of threads exist on the 120 forum to assist
              Black 2008 D4D GX, Bolle tint, Airtec snorkel, Hayman Reese tow bar, Staun deflators, ARB Air, front & rear extended diff breathers, Milford cargo barrier, Poly Air, 2" lift, XGS suspension, road tyres - 265/65x17 Grandtreks, play tyres - 265/70x17 Wrangler MTR's, ARB Sahara Bar, TMax 9000 winch, custom winch panel, Uniden UHF, Garmin 76csx with RAM mount, Eee PC with OZI, triple IPF 900XS spotties, rear ARB diff locker, Brown Davis underbody protection, Darren McRAE Auto Craft Rock Sliders

Comment

I am looking at extending the breathers as well, but I can't see how the hell I will get to the auto/transfer breathers where they are located without extender arms?!?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesC
                  If the breather caps are like the 120 versions, then all they'll be is a spring loaded rubber plate which works fine for expanding air, but not so great at dealing with cooling air, such as what happens when you do a creek crossing.

Yes you are right they are just like that.

If you remove one of the caps most likely you'll hear a slight sucking sound which is the diff/transmission equalising with the outside air. I'd suggest extending your breathers and adding a free flowing filter/breather to the ends, plenty of threads exist on the 120 forum to assist
                  Originally posted by Schniff
                  I am looking at extending the breathers as well, but I can't see how the hell I will get to the auto/transfer breathers where they are located without extender arms?!?
                  I stood on a chair and leaned over at full arm extension to release the breathers. Once released I worked from under the transmission to extend before securing the hoses to the firewalll area. They will not go onto the clips again with jioners in the hose as they would need to bend up at that point.
                  I used vacume hose for the smaller ones with jioners from a sprinkler shop and a heater hose joiner for the larger one.

Enjoy the adventure.
                  Regards
                  Crisp Image

Comment

Just a thought about modifing the rear diff breather. I've always believed the rear diff breather actually maintained a positive pressure inside the housing. When removing the filler plug ive always felt positive pressure from the housing. I thought about this quite a bit and believe that toyota have designed the rear housing to be slightly pressurised,keeping a small pressure on the inside of the axle and pinion seals therefore making them seal more effectively from external contaminants. Thats my theory anyway.What evidence do i have to support it? My previous 90 series with standard breather had been through plenty of water well over the rear axle housing ( cape york,frazer ,morton ,Vic high country, landcruiser park etc) and after 258,000k never had a problem with water in the rear axle housing.Good luck maybe, but toyota has stuck with this system for 3 prado models and allows a fording depth well over axle housing height. They go to the trouble of locating the other trans breathers high, so why would they overlook the rear housing. I think if you are going to extend the rear breather it should maintain that positive pressure. I won't be changing the rear on the 150.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff butler
                      Just a thought about modifing the rear diff breather. I've always believed the rear diff breather actually maintained a positive pressure inside the housing. When removing the filler plug ive always felt positive pressure from the housing. I thought about this quite a bit and believe that toyota have designed the rear housing to be slightly pressurised,keeping a small pressure on the inside of the axle and pinion seals therefore making them seal more effectively from external contaminants. Thats my theory anyway.What evidence do i have to support it? My previous 90 series with standard breather had been through plenty of water well over the rear axle housing ( cape york,frazer ,morton ,Vic high country, landcruiser park etc) and after 258,000k never had a problem with water in the rear axle housing.Good luck maybe, but toyota has stuck with this system for 3 prado models and allows a fording depth well over axle housing height. They go to the trouble of locating the other trans breathers high, so why would they overlook the rear housing. I think if you are going to extend the rear breather it should maintain that positive pressure. I won't be changing the rear on the 150.
                      Intersting Jeff,
                      I think you will find that there is a vacuum in the diff caused by the diff breather sealing on the sucking when cooled rapidly. This closes the little valve and when I screwed it out air was sucked in to the diff. So it would seem that it is the total opposite to what you wrote.
                      Regards
                      Crisp Image

Comment

[quote=Crisp Image]
                        Originally posted by "jeff butler":28csf98x
                        Intersting Jeff,
                        I think you will find that there is a vacuum in the diff caused by the diff breather sealing on the sucking when cooled rapidly. This closes the little valve and when I screwed it out air was sucked in to the diff. So it would seem that it is the total opposite to what you wrote.
                        Regards
                        Crisp Image[/quote:28csf98x]
                        You are right Crisp. When I pulled the breather out of the rear diff, put it in my mouth and sucked on it nothing comes throughbut you can blow through it. Makes sence if you are driving, diffs are hot, air pressure has expanded (at this point the breather has let the expanded air out and pressure inside the diff is equal to outside),then hit cold water, air cools and drops pressure quickly trying to suck air in to equalize that pressure, if you are in water it would suck it straight in.
                        I did extend mine though just for extra insurance!!! Easy enough job.
                        Peter
                        [color=#4000FF]2010 GXL, ARB BAR, GOODYEAR MTR'S ON STEEL RIMS, CUSTOM REAR DRAWERS, DUAL BATTERIES, CARGO BARRIER, GME UHF, RHINO ROOF RACK, ROCK SLIDERS, AIRTEC SNORKEL, DUAL DROP FRIDGE SLIDES[/color]

Comment

With a planned trip to Walhalla this weekend to give the Prado it's first taste of low range country (and water), I thought I'd better extend the breathers.

Here's my complete guide to doing al 4 breathers.

Rear Diff Breather

The rear diff requires a 1/8" BSP threaded brass fitting with a 1/4" tail barb. Simply unscrew the factory diff breather cap (passenger side of diff), screw the new fitting in, push some 1/4" hose onto the barb and run it to the engine bay. You could run it into the jack area or the fuel filler area but for ease of monitoring and to have them all in the same spot, I ran mine to the engine bay. I then used a small fuel filter on the end. Be sure to leave some slack in the hose near the diff to allow for up and down movement. Easy job, just time consuming to run the hose and cable tie it up out of harms way.

Unscrew factory breather (mine was pretty loose so may be worth checking even if you're not extending them

This is the new fitting you'll require (1/8" BSP with 1/4" tail)

New fitting installed with some thread tape

1/4" hose connected

Route the hose to where ever suits (mine goes to the engine bay)

The final location (with the transfer and transmission breathers)

Transmission/Transfer Case Breathers

The transfer and transmission breathers only come up to the bottom of the engine bay. The photo by Crisp Image (below) shows the location of these breathers on top of the transmission bell housing. The easiest way to extend these is to unclip them from the factory location and poke them down under the car so you can access them. They there are two clips holding the breathers in place, one is right near the breather caps and it just pulls off (towards the rear of the vehicle). Then follow the hoses down a bit further to the 2nd clip and pull that off. You will then have enough slack to push the hoses down under the car. Each clip holds the 2 hoses side by side and should come off as one piece.

Once the hoses are under the car, simply pull the existing breather caps off the end and join a piece of hose. I used 1/8" fuel hose and you need about 3/4 of a meter for each one to get them up to the top of the engine bay. I used a plastic 4mm to 3mm reduction joiner to join them. The 3mm end fits snuggly into the new 1/8" fuel hose and the 4mm end fits snuggly into the existing breather hose which is slightly bigger than 3mm. You could just use 3mm barbed joiners but as I said, it's a bit loose in the existing breather hose. Once I'd joined the new hose on, I dropped some string down from the engine bay to the ground, attached the new hoses with some tape and the pulled them up and into the engine bay. Then just put the factory breather caps back on the end of the extended hoses and cable tie it all up.

Location of transfer case and transmission breathers on top of the transmission bell housing (courtesy of Crisp Image)

After removing the factory breather caps

These are the joiners I used (3mm at one end, 4mm at the other)

Extensions joined on and taped (the joins are very tight and secure with these joiners)

My rear diff breather comes out at the same spot so I cabled tied them together before pulling them up into the engine bay

Rear diff, transmission and transfer case breathers all together in the engine bay.

Font Diff Breather

I then did the front diff breather which already comes up into the engine bay (near the fuse box) but figured it was easy to extend it a bit further right to the top of the engine bay. Simply unclip the hose from the retaining clip, pull the breather cap off, join a new piece of 5/16" hose with a 5/16" brass barbed joiner and then run it up to the top of the engine bay and use the factory breather cap again. 5 minute job max.

5/16" hose joined to factory breather hose using a brass 5/16" barbed joiner ( I also taped the finished join)

Extended front breather on top of the fuse box

I got all of the fittings (including the hose) from Repco and it cost under $50.00. This could be reduced significantly by using a shorter piece of hose for the rear diff and just running it up high at the rear of the car.

I encourage everyone to do this simple mod if intending to do any water crossings. The published wading depth for the Prado is 700mm but the rear diff breather in particular would be well under water at this depth. Once you have all of the fittings, it's a very simple process. I will probably try and source some of the blue filters for the ends of the hoses but the factory ones will do for now.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Sam.
                          150 GXL V6 Auto. BFG AT 275/65/R17, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, OME 2" Lift, Firestone Airbags, Dual Batteries, GME UHF, Rhino Sportz Crossrails and Platform Rack, ARB Awning, Redarc Brake Controller, Rear Drawer System, Safari Snorkel, New Toyota Mudflaps, Kaymar 'Wheel on Door' Bracket, ARB Under Vehicle Protection, IPF 900XS Spotties, Allied Hammer Wheels. Disclaimer - I am an ARB employee. [B][URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?17348-Sam-s-150-V6"]Buildup Thread[/URL][/B]

Comment

One other question. The Crisp Image shows a third hose there with the gearbox and trans breather ( closest to camera ). Any idea what that is ?

Thanks.
                            2010 GXL D4D, MT Baja 265/70x17, TJM T13. TJM 11,000 lb Winch and Underbody Guards. GME TX3400, BRC Quad Breathers.

Comment

There is some info in the 120 section about breathers and the like, and somebody found one for the fuel tank on their Diesel 120. i think it was more of a check valve, but in their case it was blocked up with gunk (technical term ) and would have probably allowed water/contaminants down into the fuel tank.
                              yesterday i decided to have a crawl under the prado and have a look around for these breathers and scope up extending them, when i spotted what i think is the same sort of setup. it seems to be just in front of the rear fuel tank and is mounted flat next to a lume of other hoses, it then goes to a T piece that then runs to each tank.
                              Yes a picture would be great, maybe tonight when i get home... i might even pull it off and check it out properly, if it is a check valve or breather i will look at extending it up with the diff breather, as they are right next to eachother. Has anybody else looked into this?

EDIT
                              okay just had a look in the 120 section and it's virtually exactly the same as my setup so i think that answers my question.. it is a check valve and i will extend it. if anybodies interested
                              viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11275&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
                              150 VX diesel. Awesome bonnet protector! Monster Rides 3" Susp Lift, 265/70/17 MT MTZ's on Dick Cepek Torques, TJM T13 bar,TG150 Guard, Airtec Snorkel, Lightforce HID's, GME TX3540, CKMTA12 compressor, redarc dual bats, Drawers, fridgy drop slide, Maxtrax, More to come... one day!
                              [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?18807-ages-150-VX-D4D-black"]My Rig Buildup[/URL]

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti