Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prado 150 v Landcruiser 200 Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prado 150 v Landcruiser 200 Series

    Thinking about moving from my 2011 Prado 150 Diesel to the Diesel V8 Landcruiser and have concerns about big difference in running costs. Anyone made this move of have experience of servicing and fueling?

    Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.


  • #2
    No doubt about it mate, more money spent on fuel, rego costs more and most likely so will insurance. Buy a new Prado and spend $10k enhancing the motor. Unless you have a large Caravan, boat and horses stick with a Prado mate.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you tow a lot, or plan to buy a large boat or caravan, the decision to upgrade to a 200 Series diesel starts to makes sense, given its a better tow platform.

      What are your requirements which is steering you to a 200 Series?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by YOM355 View Post
        Thinking about moving from my 2011 Prado 150 Diesel to the Diesel V8 Landcruiser and have concerns about big difference in running costs. Anyone made this move of have experience of servicing and fueling?

        Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
        I went the other way - from a 2012 LC200 to a 2016 Prado, and found the Prado the better car (sold it after too many DPFs and no longer have a diesel though - the only real downside). The payload was a main factor for me - my VX had 610Kg versus 750Kg for the Prado.

        Unless you tow, the Prado is a far more liveable vehicle and does everything the LC200 does, plus the rear seats can hold a small adult or two. Yep, got rid of the Prado but as soon as they release a petrol I will be back to it.

        If you are going up for towing considerations then yes, the LC200 will be better if its >2000KG. Do some calculations on your "big difference" in running costs though. They're likely not as much as you think. My same-style-same-area driving on the LC200 and 150 2.8 Prado came to around 14L/100 for the LC200, and 11.5L/100 for the Prado (had same accessories hanging off both). That's calculated (over 130,000km on the LC, 60,000km on the Prado) - not off some pie-in-the-sky ODO dashboard readout. So that's 3 litres per 100km (being generous) - or at $1.70 a litre you're looking at $1000 a year in additional fuel if you do 20,000km. That's not much, although if you can't afford it then don't buy an LC200.

        This is the sort of REAL calculation all owners should do IMHO - because although the 11.5L/100 versus 14L/100 may look bad - and as a percentage it is - it really should be put into dollar figures. That way, the percentage (which is pointless anyway) really gets put into perspective.

        Do the same on (dare I say it) a Y62 Petrol Patrol also. Read reviews. Have a look at real petrol figures (mine is 16L/100 and can provide a screenshot of my app if you want) and don't listen to city-based warriors who once looked up Birdsville on Youtube telling you there is no petrol out bush. It's there in spades.

        But if you're not towing, or if its only infrequent or less than 200Kg - dear lord you have one of the best sized/ shaped 4WDs around and if diesel is your thing, stick with it!

        Comment


        • #5
          ^ good advice, especially the part about running costs when looking at per litre differences.

          A big change in fuel usage percentage makes a very small difference per annum in real dollars. Worry more about depreciation.

          If your only concern is running costs on the LC, it wont be that much more but it will tow better that's basically all it boils down to. Drive both back to back and see what your gut tells you.

          Comment


          • #6
            I’d suggest that towing is about the only reason to move to a 200. If so then also be realistic about how often you actually will tow. Putting up with a much larger more cumbersome vehicle for 98% of the time just to be slightly better off the 5 days a year you tow a big van doesn’t make sense to me.

            fwiw, I tow a large 2.4tonne trailer with my Prado and have no issues, though I did choose a petrol as the diesel versions are too sluggish for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rascal View Post
              I’d suggest that towing is about the only reason to move to a 200. If so then also be realistic about how often you actually will tow. Putting up with a much larger more cumbersome vehicle for 98% of the time just to be slightly better off the 5 days a year you tow a big van doesn’t make sense to me.

              fwiw, I tow a large 2.4tonne trailer with my Prado and have no issues, though I did choose a petrol as the diesel versions are too sluggish for me.
              How do you think it tows?

              I'm yet to two my race car with it (1.8-2t inc trailer) and I am not looking forward to it given how gutless it feels compared to my old work car (SZ Territory Petrol)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 'Dan' View Post

                How do you think it tows?

                I'm yet to two my race car with it (1.8-2t inc trailer) and I am not looking forward to it given how gutless it feels compared to my old work car (SZ Territory Petrol)
                Mine tows my big arse trailer no problems. Elec brakes so stops fine, doesn’t wander or get pushed around by wind, etc.
                havent towed with the tune installed yet so that will be interesting to see how much difference that makes.

                but previously it towed up and down the hills no issue. It will pull 4th up all but the steepest freewayhills provided you drop it back before the hill so it has a chance to lock in 4th, and if you stick the boot In and get the revs up it will accelerate up hills even, though economy skyrockets when you do that.
                no issues keeping up with traffic, and is comfortable.
                obviously not as good as previous turbo territory, but very little is/was but it’s worldsbetter towing than the 4.8 patrol I had before that..

                Comment


                • #9
                  See how she goes, I can easily see me getting 25L/100km on the home trip with the trailer and needing some big throttle inputs to keep any reasonable speed up the hills.

                  You'd think the tune would just be a bit better all round and better at keeping 5th locked in situations where it may have unlocked before.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X