Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding ECO/Sport Driving Mode, Crawl Control and MTS functions to Aug 17+ VX Prado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding ECO/Sport Driving Mode, Crawl Control and MTS functions to Aug 17+ VX Prado

Hi All,

Must have too much time on my hands, but based on a few other threads I started seeing if it was possible to retrofit the ECO/Sport Driving Mode, Crawl Control and MTS functions to my Nov 21 VX Prado.

I probably don't need all of them as I mostly do touring trips towing a caravan with a bit of off road and beach driving along the way but thought others may be interested in the topic and doing the mods if it is feasible.

Firstly the easy one ECO/Sport Driving Mode which I am in the process of doing as soon as the part arrives:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8471160030.png
Views:	2423
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	767904
    I have only just started research on the Crawl Control and MTS functions and there is lots of good but confusing information, as most is for the US Lexus 460 or Ukraine /Russian Prado vehicles of various year and spec models. A couple of interesting ones are below (you will need to use translate to read text)
    But at least it indicates that the change-over of the dash centre console switch panels from standard VX to the VX-L (Kakadu) version with Crawl and MTS is relatively simple and uses the existing harness connectors (not certain if the harness on the GXL is exactly the same).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	767898

Click image for larger version  Name:	330.png Views:	0 Size:	552.9 KB ID:	767899

Parts required (needs to be confirmed as correct and if there is anything missing):
    • SWITCH ASSY, COMBINATION 8497060330 (VX-L/Kakadu version which includes two redundant air suspension switches), or
    • SWITCH ASSY, COMBINATION 8497060350 (listed in the parts catalogue as VX version without air suspension switches but may be difficult to source)
    • PANEL SUB-ASSY INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH CENTER 5540560580 (small glovebox fitted below switch panel)
    Doing a quick check online the Kakadu version with the small glovebox new from amayama will be around $1000 AUD so not cheap.

Activating Crawl Control appears to be easy and varies from works straight away, or requires an ABS/VSC/TRC system memory reset/test to be conducted using Techstream.

Activating MTS seems to be a problem depending on which configuration of the Brake Actuator Assembly (Skid Control ECU) you have fitted as some earlier revisions appear to need the KDSS ECU fitted to work. But there seems to be promising info for me at least that the Jul 21+ VX is OK and may only need configuring using Techstream.

I had a look at the wiring diagram and the combination switch assembly appears to be very basic switches connected via the harness connectors to the Brake Actuator Assembly in the engine bay.

So if you only wanted a single speed/mode crawl/MTS then it could potentially be done with aftermarket push button switches and links to select which one you want (defaults to position 3 medium crawl and mogul if you do not add links).

Still early days but I thought I would put out there now to see if anyone else has tried this and start a conversation to come up with working solutions.

Cheers Phil

ptommo59
    Last edited by ptommo59; 24-04-2023, 02:57 PM.

OK so what I have been able to confirm so far without access to a Kakadu Combination Switch assembly.

Yes all control functions for the crawl control and MTS from Aug 17 on are done through the skid control ECU which is part of the hydraulic brake booster master cylinder solenoid. There are 6 revisions of this for the Aust market (the last one with ECU revision 89541-60A33 is what I have so I can only verify any future testing on this version).
    • 4721760710 from Aug 17 - Jun 18,
    • 4721760711 from Jun 18 - Jan 20,
    • 4721760712 from Jan 20 - Aug 20,
    • 4721760820 from Aug 20 -
    • 4721760810 from Aug 20 - Jun 21 - with TSS2 /LSS+2
    • 4721760830 from Jun 21 - - with TSS2 /LSS+2
    There are 4 connectors that connect to the Combination Switch Assy, 8497060330/350, these are the same ones that connect to the HI/LO Range , SWITCH ASSY, COMBINATION No 2 (2nd Start/VSC Off/Centre Diff Lock), DAC and Rear Diff Lock switches on the VX however there is no switch for the DAC as Crawl Control does this function so the connector is stowed in a dummy socket without pins.

The 24 Pin harness Connector G156 houses all the wiring for the Crawl, MTS, Centre Diff, 2nd Start, VSC Off and Air Suspension controls. I was able to confirm on the wiring diagrams all bar 3 pin connections, but from a comment on one of the Russian websites for this mod believe that they are for the Crawl and MTS LEDs but not certain which is which at this stage. I also checked on my VX harness and all wiring is present on the connector. So at this stage yes it is a simple process to convert from the VX to the Kakadu Combination Switches and the two air suspension control switches if pressed should do nothing without the suspension control ECU fitted.

(Edit: Located the missing 3 pin connections)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	G156.png Views:	15 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	767815
    G156 (A) Harness Connector for Combination Switch Assembly or Combination Switch Assembly No.2
    Pin No Colour Signal Goes to
    1 Blue (L) CRAWL/MTS LED PWR 10A ECU IG No.2 Fuse
    2 Black (B) VSC OFF SW GA6 Pin 66 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 9 (CSW)
    3 White (W) CENTRE DIFF LOCK SW 4X4 Control ECU G53 Pin 6 (DL)
    4 NC - N/A
    5 Blue (L) AIR SUSP OFF SW Suspension Control ECU A49 Pin 13 (TD)
    6 Pink (P) AIR SUSP UP SW Suspension Control ECU A49 Pin 15 (UPSW)
    7 Violet (V) AIR SUSP DN SW Suspension Control ECU A49 Pin 14 (DNSW)
    8 NC - N/A
    9 NC - N/A
    10 Violet (V) MTS ON LED Combination Meter Assembly G304 Pin 5 (INDM)
    11 NC - N/A
    12 White/Blk (W-B) ILLUM- G268 Junction Connector Pin 4
    13 Green (G) ILLUM+ G260 Junction Connector Pin 5
    14 Grey (GR) 2nd START SW G268 Junction Connector Pin 12 (SNWI)
    15 NC - N/A
    16 NC - N/A
    17 White (W) ECU (MODE SW) GA6 Pin 30 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 44 (TRM3)
    18 Black (B) UP (MODE SW) GA6 Pin 31 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 21 (TRM2)
    19 Blue (L) DN (MODE SW) GA6 Pin 32 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 13 (TRM1)
    20 Green (G) FRE (MTS ON/OFF SW) GA6 Pin 34 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 29 (EXI4)
    21 Sky Blue (SB) FRB (CRAWL ON/OFF SW) GA6 Pin 33 - Brake Actuator Assembly A7 Pin 43 (TRS)
    22 White (W) CRAWL ON LED Combination Meter Assembly G304 Pin 6 (INDC)
    23 NC - N/A
    24 White/Blk (W-B) E (SW GND) G207 Junction Connector Pin 2

G156 (A) Combination Switch Connections
    Switch Input Pin Output Pin/s Type
    Crawl Control 24 21 Momentary Push Button
    MTS 24 20 Momentary Push Button
    2nd Start 24 14 Momentary Push Button
    VSC OFF 24 2 Momentary Push Button
    Centre Diff Lock 24 3 Momentary Push Button
    Air Susp OFF 24 5 Momentary Push Button
    Air Susp Up 24 6 3 Position Spring loaded Centre Off
    Air Susp Dn 24 7 3 Position Spring loaded Centre Off
    Crawl/MTS Mode 1 24 17,18 5 Position Rotary
    Crawl/MTS Mode 2 24 17 5 Position Rotary
    Crawl/MTS Mode 3 24 N/A 5 Position Rotary
    Crawl/MTS Mode 4 24 19 5 Position Rotary
    Crawl/MTS Mode 5 24 18,19 5 Position Rotary

In the workshop manual I found the procedures for:
    • calibrating/initialising the DAC and Crawl Switch functions on the skid control ecu,
    • testing the DAC/Crawl/MTS switch operation at combination switch level.
    Both procedures are done using Techstream as it appears that the earlier alternate method using shorting pins on the OBDII Connector has been disabled.

I haven't tried any of these as yet but the potential mod/upgrade looks promising so far.
    ptommo59
    Last edited by ptommo59; 11-06-2023, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Couldn't justify $1000 to do an experiment so went to Jaycar to get the switches, leds, box etc to put together a test box to emulate the Combination Panel MTS and CRAWL switch functions. The pic is what I ended up with for around $30.

I already have Techstream V17 and a VCX Nano interface so next step is to access the G156 connector, connect the test box up and run the required ABS/VSC reset/calibrations and tests to see which options work on my vehicle configuration.

Comment

Did you have any luck with this?

Comment

Hi Toopy,

Your the first one to show any interest.

Been a bit lazy and haven't as yet bothered pulling the dash apart to complete the test run using the box as I would be putting it back to the original configuration after anyway.

If I could get a hold of the proper parts easily I would have been a bit more enthusiastic getting it done.

As I said above pretty confident it will work for Crawl at least.

Comment

I’m interested in any upgrades that I can do. I regret not buying a VX when I bought my 18 GXL with leather. The (at the time) 18” rims turned me off as I was buying the car for remote touring, Simpson etc.. and didn’t want to “upgrade” the Rims to 17”.

The Toyota literature doesn’t really make the difference clear between the models except the tech inclusions. From what I’ve read the VX has extra leather panels etc.. I live regionally so my local Dealer was lucky to have a GX to see.

currently researching
            1. Adding BSM modules (wiring diagram shows self contained computer in the master bsm radar unit, which talks to everything else via can)
            2. Seat memory (once again talks via can)
            3. Sport/eco switch (was going to look further into this today but you know life)
            4. This upgrade now.
            5. Auto fold mirrors as in ones that fold automatically when you turn the car off, instead of flicking a switch (I know you can buy a module that does this but I believe the VX does that standard? wondering if it’s just the mirror switch module. If possible could you take a photo of yours.
            Last edited by Toopy; 04-06-2023, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Toopy,

This is one of the Russian sites with info about adding the BSM (plus he does a range of other tech upgrades) BSM! System Installation Part 2 – Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150-series, 2.8 liters, 2016 | Tuning | DRIVE2 Its not just a module install as you have sensors mounted at the rear of the vehicle behind the bumper that need to be connected up and calibrated.

Same with Seat Memory it can be done but the Seat Memory ECU is part of the drivers seat so not certain if this can be retro fitted and rewired to suit. I have seen someone mention you can do it by swapping over with a Kakadu seat and door trim but that would be pretty expensive.

Yes my 21 VX has auto fold mirror but I think they came in standard on the GXL and above from either Aug 20 with the 150kw engine or Jul 21 with the tech update. This links has info on research other members have done and it indicates its not a simple switch change over if you want the OEM version Auto Folding Mirrors - Aug 2017+ models - Toyota Prado How To's, Technical Information & Reviews (pradopoint.com.au)

Comment

Damn, I was hoping that it was just going to be a switch module for the mirrors, going by the links you posted (the fact he added leds for the BSM indicators) i'd say that my gen gxl variant mirrors do not contain the mirror ECU. This is also probably why they do not have reverse position memory.
                If I can find the mirror ecu's for a good price that could be a worthwhile upgrade, I could u/g the switch module as well and possibly get

Autofold mirrors
                Reverse memory
                BSM compatibility for future

Seat memory is a dissapointment

BSM was pretty much as I expected, install the modules and activate. Pity the wiring or the mounts aren’t present.

I have made progress on the sport/eco mode for the gxl, I went straight for the source and looked at the loom on the Engine control ecu, the positions 12 & 8 on G184 are vacant so the wiring disconnect is somewhere between g303 and G184. Possibly missing completely from the main harness, I unwound the loom at that connector and they aren't in there. I've yet to pull the Centre console but I think the eco/sport connector is part of the shift indicator which is why it's there.

However, I can CONFIRM! that the programming for sport/eco is present in the ECU as shorting G184-12 (PWMS)* to gnd temporarily, activates sport mode, Red at the top of the dash Sport written lower and their is a definite change to the shift pattern/throttle response. This is enough for me to buy the switch and I will wire it in.
                Last edited by Toopy; 05-06-2023, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Toopy,

Yes the seat memory function was initially on my radar but as soon as I started digging seemed too expensive to consider unless you had access to a Kakadu to strip spares from at cheap/reasonable prices.

Great to have an answer on the GXL ECO/Sport Mode question, maybe when you do the fit you can take some pics and document for others. Is there pins in the rear of the ECU socket at the applicable connection points or do you need a part number so you can order them as I can probably locate for you?

Comment

I haven't pulled the plugs yet, will do later when I isolate the batt, but I'd say the pins aren't there. If you can find the part numbers easily it won't hurt to have them.
                    The other mod I want to get around to is this one, Traction control while rear diff lock is enabled. Essentially turning the front diff into a locked diff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prad...1329148622239/

but put the +12v on a switch inside the cab so its adjustable.

However, seems that the MTS allows for this so maybe go that way.
                    Last edited by Toopy; 05-06-2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Have just applied to join the facebook group so I can see the post in your link.

Ref the part numbers, from what I can make out:
                      • The Engine ECU G184 connector is a 35 Pin Female 90980-12529 and has 29 x 0.64III female crimp sockets and 6 x 1.0III or IV female sockets.
                      • The Aircon Amp G24 connector seems to be a 24 Pin Female 90980–12554 and uses the same 0.64III crimp sockets in all positions.
                      So you to wire up will only need the 0.64III version.

Toyota provides these as a repair wire with a 160 mm lead under part number 82998-12870 but other auto connector suppliers should be able to sell you the just the pins if you want to go that way.

Comment

Awesome, I assume that the connector part 90980–12554 has all 24 blank crimp pins? Or is it just the blank plug? No pictures on amayama. If it doesn't come with the crimp sockets then a few 160mm leads will be the go.

Also what about G303? I will probably need to connect to it as my guess is the wiring will be missing at that end of the harness as well.

I can always invite you to the FB group if you want, send me a PM.

Comment

They don't have a part number for the pins in the wiring repair book so I assume they do come with the pins if you order OEM but cannot be 100% as I have never ordered these.

G303 is a 90980-12745 which uses 8 x 0.64II female crimp sockets and 10 x 1.5 female crimp sockets. I believe the pins for the switch are the 0.64 variety which is same size at the earlier but a different locking mechanism so I don't thinks they are interchangeable. Repair Wire part number should be 82998–24290. Your other option is to just re-terminate the Eco/Sport Mode switch connector harness to your new wires and bypass G303.

Edit: Rechecked and looks like pin 13 (Normal) is the 1.5 variety, Repair Wire for this type should be 82998–24350
                          ptommo59
                          Last edited by ptommo59; 05-06-2023, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Hey ptommo59, thanks for your help with this.

I have pulled the centre console, as expected the disconnect is at G303. The eco/sport connector is part of the shift position indicator as assumed.
                            The wiring is missing from the main harness. While I was there I also checked for the connector for the MTS/Crawl panel which is also missing
                            This leads me to believe there are two "base" configs for the prado. GX/GXL and VX/Kakadu (VX-L o/s) the wiring etc is loomed for each "base" config, then extras features, namely the modules are added to further differentiate the models.

I recorded all the pinouts for G303 and how it transverses to the eco connector.
                            G303 ECO/Sport
                            1 Red/white stripe -> Pin 1 Dash illumination +
                            2 N/C
                            3 Black (SPI)
                            4 Green (SPI)
                            5 Blue (SPI)
                            6 Black/Yellow stripe -> Pin 10 Dash illumination -
                            7 Green (SPI)
                            8 Green/White stripe -> Pin 2 unknown
                            9 Pink/ Black stripe -> Pin 8 unkown
                            10 Purple (SPI)
                            11 N/C
                            12 White/Black strip (SPI) Earth/GND
                            13 Light Green/Black stripe -> Pin 7 Normal
                            14 Yellow/White stripe -> Pin 6 ECO
                            15 Blue/White Stripe -> Pin 3 Sport
                            16 White/Black stripe (SPI) Earth/GND
                            17 Red (SPI)
                            18 White/Black strip Pin 5 Earth/GND
                            Now I just need to figure the illumination circuits out. For the life of me I can't find the circuit in the wiring diagram. Just need to figure out what pins 1,10, 2 and 8 are.
                            Do you think you could help there? hoping I can just piggy back off the neighboring SPI circuits like I did with my spotty switches.

Also for G303 I need at the least, pins 1,6,13,14,15 & 18 in female. can you check the sizes required.
                            I couldn't find the Toyota part number in the wiring book either, but I don't work in the autolec industry so I'm going by what I can find online.
                            A quick google suggests that toyota don't sell the crimps and only sell the repair leads. So you would have to find the manufacturer TYCO/JAE/Yazaki etc.. part.
                            I think the fly leads will be the way, even if it will be a bit messier.

EDIT : ok had a small breakthrough, PIN 1 is + and 10 negative for a lighting circuit, not sure if illumination.
                            Does the switch have a selection led?
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	eco lit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.1 KB ID:	768596

EDIT2: Ok that circuit is definitely dash illumination, easy to piggy back that one off G303 pins 7 and 12, illumination circuit for SPI
                            Just need to figure out that last two,
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	eco illum.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	768603
                            Last edited by Toopy; 06-06-2023, 04:43 PM.

Comment

So so far BOM to add this to GXL variant is

3x Toyota 82998-12870 0.64III female fly lead
                              6x Toyota 82998-24350 - WIRE 1.5 female fly lead (waiting on ptommo to verify)
                              1x Toyota 84711-60030 - SWITCH, ECO MODE ECO/Sport switch
                              misc crimp connectors and length of minimum 3 core

Toyota parts are $170 shipped
                              Last edited by Toopy; 07-06-2023, 08:24 AM.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti