Petrol or Turbo Diesel 90???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Petrol or Turbo Diesel 90???

Interesting about the ABS, I know when I push the button to lock centre diff lock the Stability control is turned off,(mine is series2 compared to my old grande V6 series one, no traction control or stability use to use the stubby lever for everything) traction control still active both in high and low range, will have to try that out ?? Nothing in my books about ABS turning off in low range. WIll definately give it a try when I get a chance and let you know if mine does the same thing. Even though the diesel is auto, it still hold back well and truly better then my petrol did in low range. Only problem with letting your ABS do all the work wouldnt you be heating the brakes up considerably ?? Regards Steve M

Originally posted by croozza
    Originally posted by Steve M
    Poor buggar wont know which way to go now LOL. I converted mine to lpg 6 months before I sold it, was the main reason as petrol hit $1.70 a litre and had no chance of selling it, wacked it on gas kept it 6 months to get my $$ back then sold it to first buyer. Personally I hated the LPG and had issues with it on hot days, part of the reason I sold it. My mate is going to QLD in march in his 06 VX 120 4L V6 so he is going to keep exact fuel figures for me and let me know how it goes. He got 1300k out of his last 120 04 model but that had the 4 speed auto his 06 has the 5 speed so will be interesting to see any difference. He has 6 on board (4 adults 2 kids) and runs the aircon all the time so it will be loaded and also pulls out one of the rear dickis seats for luggage. There a great vehicle, nice and quit and plenty of grunt, but you lose with steep down hill runs due to petrol then auto on top of that (his VX has down hill assist so not really an issue I suppose ) Regards Steve M

I have got 1300k out of one fill up on my 90 series Petrol Auto Prado. (Brisbane to Sydney and a few days driving around)
    If driven correctly they will use very little fuel.
    On a side note though, when you go off road with an auto and you get to a steep down hill section, forget about using low range, leave it in high range (locked), and use the ABS to get you down hill safely, as it is still active in high range, it disengages in low range. I have done this many times and it works.
    Face lift 150 Prado V6 auto. No mods yet

Comment

[quote=Steve M]Interesting about the ABS, I know when I push the button to lock centre diff lock the Stability control is turned off,(mine is series2 compared to my old grande V6 series one, no traction control or stability use to use the stubby lever for everything) traction control still active both in high and low range, will have to try that out ?? Nothing in my books about ABS turning off in low range. WIll definately give it a try when I get a chance and let you know if mine does the same thing. Even though the diesel is auto, it still hold back well and truly better then my petrol did in low range. Only problem with letting your ABS do all the work wouldnt you be heating the brakes up considerably ?? Regards Steve M

Originally posted by croozza
      Originally posted by "Steve M":2u49ofyv
      Poor buggar wont know which way to go now LOL. I converted mine to lpg 6 months before I sold it, was the main reason as petrol hit $1.70 a litre and had no chance of selling it, wacked it on gas kept it 6 months to get my $$ back then sold it to first buyer. Personally I hated the LPG and had issues with it on hot days, part of the reason I sold it. My mate is going to QLD in march in his 06 VX 120 4L V6 so he is going to keep exact fuel figures for me and let me know how it goes. He got 1300k out of his last 120 04 model but that had the 4 speed auto his 06 has the 5 speed so will be interesting to see any difference. He has 6 on board (4 adults 2 kids) and runs the aircon all the time so it will be loaded and also pulls out one of the rear dickis seats for luggage. There a great vehicle, nice and quit and plenty of grunt, but you lose with steep down hill runs due to petrol then auto on top of that (his VX has down hill assist so not really an issue I suppose ) Regards Steve M

I have got 1300k out of one fill up on my 90 series Petrol Auto Prado. (Brisbane to Sydney and a few days driving around)
      If driven correctly they will use very little fuel.
      On a side note though, when you go off road with an auto and you get to a steep down hill section, forget about using low range, leave it in high range (locked), and use the ABS to get you down hill safely, as it is still active in high range, it disengages in low range. I have done this many times and it works.
      [/quote:2u49ofyv]

No you would not be heating up your brakes, as you are not going above walking pace, unlike traction control which does heat up your brakes.
      97 VX Grande, with front & rear air lockers, ARB Sahara winch bar with tigers 11 winch, 2" EFS lift, 265/75/16 Achilles Desert hawk XMT, and more.

[B]Bitumen - A blatant waste of taxpayers money![/B]

Comment

Just to confuse you a bit more, have you thought about the 2.7 petrol ??? Still does everything the upper models do, but you do miss out on flares, wider wheels, only one 90 tank (no 69L reserve) and a few other goodies but they still go extremely well, little bit cheaper to run around town (not sure about freeway). Virtually trouble free (DONT PUT ON GAS THE 2.7 HEADS DONT LIKE IT V6 is fine in regards to heads on LPG) Not sure about snorkels and things for the 2.7 ?? V6 and diesel no problems with after market parts, diff locks, snorkels, etc, As mentioned above better to buy a mickey mouse petrol (and theres heaps of them in great nick never been off road) then a clapped out turbo diesel thats never been looked after, Wether you buy V6, diesel, 2.7 you wont be dissapointed in buying a prado, good all rounder, not super expensive to run, but word of warning if looking at diesel then check for signs of blown head, they dont blow gaskets they crack heads so wont be a cheap repair, if gone it will need a new one the head are not repairable. Look for water in oil, vice versa. Check level of coolant in overflow bottle before you start should be around the halfway mark and a winey colour to light pink indicates genuine coolant, take for a good run to get up to normal running temp then push it (keep in the speed limits) but get it out on the freeway or open road and give it some and keep it at higher speed 110k for as long as possible at least 20 mins, then when you return, turn it off and let sit for 15 mins minimum. If there is any signs of oil in or water or vice versa its gone. If the over flow bottle is full or has risen considerably the head is gone leaking exhaust into the cooling sytem and pressurising it, this is what happened to mine. Running to and from work I had no idication of a blown head, only evident when taken for a squirt down the freeway for 20 mins, the temp guage didnt even move, it stayed just under halfway, only if you dont fill the overflow bottle up and it squirts its out each time and you dont refill it will the temp start to rise as the cooling system wont be full. Hope this helps you out when looking, V6 check the water pump is ok, should be done when belt is done, series one prados will say to replace belt every 100k either diesel or petrol, series 2 will say every 150k, if belt was done on the diesel make sure they also replaced the tensioner as these do fail, if the V6 has been done check to see if the water pump was done, if not it will probably need to be done not long after, and its a lot bigger job to do the V6 belt and pump then the diesel. Also keep an eye out that they havnt wacked in some Whynns stop leak or any of those other additves people use to try and fix the head, while it works ome times most of the time its a temp fix Regards Steve M

Comment

heres one for you

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-LANDCRUIS ... 230d5e1c37

Wouldnt be puttn nothn in his account if you won it, if its not in the condition he says its in you walk. Just cause its ebay the seller has to be exact with the details of what he is selling, seems alright but for the price !!!!!!!! Regards Steve M

Comment

Better off going for a GXL rather than the RV due to the factory tyre sizes & diff ratios...
            Richard
            2011 GXL TD Auto Prado Silver

Comment

Yeah stormynight thats true, whats the difference anyway. I have heard of that before and some thing about if you put the 16 GXL rims on the RV it changes some thing for the worse ?? I presume it would dropp the low range etc ?? I suppose in a way would be the same as say putting 17 inch on my prado that usually runs 16's ?? Am I thinking along the correct lines ?? Regards Steve M
              Originally posted by StormyKnight
              Better off going for a GXL rather than the RV due to the factory tyre sizes & diff ratios...

Comment

Steve M confirms my views about diesel v petrol. The V6 manual will not pull anywhere near 95 up Mooney Mooney hills. I have driven not only Prados (90s and 120s petrol and diesel), but LandCruiser 80 and 100, Nissan Patrols, HiLuxes, Mitsubishis and Fords as well as older Toyotas and LandRovers (back to at least 1974 models). In all cases, the turbo diesel version was far superior than the petrol. This driving has been in the hardest parts of NSW, on tracks closed to the public as well as normal highways. There is not one petrol that I would have preferred to have over the equivalent petrol, no matter what I have been doing.

Re beach (sand) driving. Yes, petrol is better, but unless you intend doing the majority of your driving on Stockton Beach or across the Simpson Desert and back and back again, diesel is better overall.

Sorry to sound so strong, but I really wish I had the TD! This is not to say that the V6 is not a great vehicle, it is. I have been accused of having diff lockers when I do not (by other 4WD owners) for getting up hills I found easy but they found impossible or very hard. Some of this may have been the fact that I have been professionally trained (many times for work - compulsory) as well as driving 4WDs for almost 35 years for work. However, I suspect that it is primarily because the the 90 series Prado, petrol or diesel, is a great vehicle!
                Michael and Kelly

[SIZE=1]1999 Prado Snowy 3.4L petrol, Ultimate Suspension 50mm lift (2013)[/SIZE][SIZE=1], BFG A/T, bull bar, winch, Twine hot water shower, home made rear drawers, Shippshape car top tent, UHF radio, tablet GPS & Navman GPS (both running OziExplorer)[/SIZE][SIZE=1], Spot 1, solar panel, second battery, inverter, Engel fridge and more[/SIZE]

Comment

boys boys boys!!!! lol wow now i wasd hoping for an easy decision but wow what a can of worms i have oppened here!!! haha
                  well im definatly getting manual but im none the wiser in which one!!! lmao!!!
                  all of you have good points!!!! i will be doing a lot of beach when its not towing for work so which is better for that?! lol and here we go again!!!
                  i will be doing
                  - 2" lift
                  - -20 rims
                  - 285/75 muddies
                  - bullbar
                  - winch
                  - snorkel and the list goes on but what i think i really got from all these is there a SICK BLODDY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it doesn't really matter which one i get because there both good as!!!
                  thank you all for your input bloody legends! yew!!!

Comment

Id be dropping the 20inch rims off your list if your going to be doing a lot of beach work unless your going to run another set of wheels.Auto is greeeaaaat on the sand but manual will do the job just fine,I like both for different reasons but as said after having both I would have no hesitation going back to a V6, good luck on your choice and remember dont let the heart overtake your head, if your a bit suss or not exactly what you want walk, there are heaps out there especially the V6's, few turbo starting to pop up a bit more now. Regards Steve

Originally posted by clubbywagon
                    boys boys boys!!!! lol wow now i wasd hoping for an easy decision but wow what a can of worms i have oppened here!!! haha
                    all of you have good points!!!! i will be doing a lot of beach when its not towing for work so which is better for that?! lol and here we go again!!!
                    i will be doing
                    - 2" lift
                    - -20 rims
                    - 285/75 muddies
                    - bullbar
                    - winch
                    - snorkel and the list goes on but what i think i really got from all these is there a SICK BLODDY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it doesn't really matter which one i get because there both good as!!!

Comment

clubbywagon,
                      20"?? You're kidding right??? Apart from that, you've got a good list going.
                      16 or 17 is the go. Going bigger increases the risk of rim damage, reduces the amount of rubber for airing down (reduced comfort and grip), heavily reduces your choice of rubber, and it'll probably cost more per corner.
                      glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M
                        Yeah stormynight thats true, whats the difference anyway. I have heard of that before and some thing about if you put the 16 GXL rims on the RV it changes some thing for the worse ?? I presume it would dropp the low range etc ?? I suppose in a way would be the same as say putting 17 inch on my prado that usually runs 16's ?? Am I thinking along the correct lines ?? Regards Steve M
                        Its not the rim itself that is the problem but the overall diameter of the tyres. The RV has smaller tyres than the GXL. The RV has a different diff to compensate for that too. What it means is that to put real 4WD tyres on 265/75R16s its a bigger step up for the RV than the GXL. Basically 1st gear will not be as low & top gear will be higher meaning on the flat you may get better economy, but you will be forever having to drop it down a gear on the slightest rise. Loaded you may not get into top gear at all!

The standard rims on the RV are narrower too than the GXL & of course the RV doesn't have the moulded wheel guards either so fitting normal width tyres may make them overhang & be illegal.

Cheers
                        Richard
                        2011 GXL TD Auto Prado Silver

Comment

Its not the rim itself that is the problem but the overall diameter of the tyres. The RV has smaller tyres than the GXL. The RV has a different diff to compensate for that too. What it means is that to put real 4WD tyres on 265/75R16s its a bigger step up for the RV than the GXL. Basically 1st gear will not be as low & top gear will be higher meaning on the flat you may get better economy, but you will be forever having to drop it down a gear on the slightest rise. Loaded you may not get into top gear at all!

The standard rims on the RV are narrower too than the GXL & of course the RV doesn't have the moulded wheel guards either so fitting normal width tyres may make them overhang & be illegal.

Cheers
                          All of this is true, and can be overcome with diff ratios and wheel flares. Diff work get's a bit expensive though.
                          glen_ep - engineered, 4" lift, 33" 255/85R16, lockers, 4.88 ratios www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?17237 www.youtube.com/user/glenep www.fb.com/groups/ToyotaPrado90

Comment

[quoteboys boys boys!!!! lol wow now i wasd hoping for an easy decision but wow what a can of worms i have oppened here!!! haha
                            i will be doing
                            - 2" lift
                            - -20 rims
                            - 285/75 muddies
                            - bullbar
                            - winch
                            [/quote]

I'm hoping that the -20 rims is in fact the offset of the new rims as no way can I see you fitting 285/75/20 tyres (about 37 inch)..... :shock:
                            '18 VX, Billies with Dobinson springs, Summit bar with Narva Enhanced Optics to help my old eyes

Comment

I have an RV KZJ95 and got a set of GXL steel rims. I reckon diff clearance is one of the more important features so put 235/85LT tyres on with a 2" lift. Got a little box to tune up the electronic speedo (6% difference) and set the speedo reference GPS speed. I now sit on 2150RPM 5th gear 100kmh, was about 2350. The BIG benefit, besides the clearance, is that when towing in 4th (as you should!) you are right back in the same rev band as you used to be in 5th, not revving it's guts out, but right on the torque band for power/economy. The DTRONIC helps a fair bit in keeping the power up in 5th. The tyres aren't that fat, so aero and rolling resistance is not as great, plus a lot of other cruiser size vehicles use this size, therefore common as, and cheaper! They even juuust fit inside the guard width (unless you get the micrometer out) so no flares reqd!

Comment

lmao!!!! yeah sorry lads 285/75R16's is what ill be after with after marlet rims with a offset of -20 to bring the rubber out to the gaurds!!! i want my truck to look tough not puncy!!!!

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X