• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WA to GTG Direct Group.

Hi All

We are all looking forward to the trip roll on July the first

Cheers

Trev L and Family
    Prado 2003 with a OME 2 inch lift, ARB Delux Bullbar, Warn magnum winch, IPF 9000 spots, Safari snorkel, Daul Batterys, UHF Radio with remote head unit, extra Power outlet, 265 70 17 MTZ's, ARB CKMA12 Compressor, TrackLander Roof rack with two Rear Work lights, rear anderson socket, twin DVD Players, Indash DVD,GPS, running IGO 8 and OziplorerCE, Custom Drawer System

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Fishnut
      I am still working on trying to get Glenn to fly in and meet us for a few of the days (arriving Fri 3rd and departing Tues 7th??). I was thinking of flying him to Ayers Rock airport on the friday and picking him up on the way through (on our Warakurna to Owen Springs leg). The flight lands at 1.50pm and based on my calaculations (assuming we leave Giles weather station about 9.30am and stop at Lasseters Cave) we should be passing through Yulara about this time. Has anyone actually done this run and can give a better indication if this would work????

Also, can someone confirm what the dates and locations are for the direct group returning home? Is it Tjukayirla RH on Sat night and Yellowdine on Sunday and home in my own bed on Monday?

Cheers,
      Deb
      Hi Deb,

I've done the proposed run a few times.

After leaving Warakurna/Giles, I have usually stopped for fuel and lunch at Yulara (approx 330km most dirt), before heading on up towards Owen Springs Reserve (approx 380km). Assuming Glenn's flight was on time, we would be there in time to meet him. As that night is a bush camp, there's no problem with us stopping anywhere that suits, it doesn't have to be at Owen Springs. I think that the others would be OK with this - I know I am. The following days run up through Alice and out to Ross River is a short one anyway. Personally I'd say go ahead and book that incomming flight for him.

As for the run home, The plan is;
      - Earlyish start on Saturday morning, Yulara to Tjukayirla (approx 820 km most dirt)
      - Tjukayirla to Yellowdine (approx 800 km)
      - Yellowdine to Perth (approx 400 km)
      Home about lunch on the Monday, with time to unpack before heading back to work on Tuesday.

I hope the info helps.....................

John
      Ex 95 and 79 series owner, now FJ Cruiser owner.

Comment

The more I read the more jealous I am getting, cant get to this years GTG but am very hopefull of organising time for the next one.
        Sounds like an awesome trip and wish we were coming with you all. Have a ball and will be watching for the stories of the trip upon your return to WA.

Pete

Comment

Ok WA dirct group (A Team) - Updates from me:

Glenn is definitely NOT joining us.... I have tried for a long time now, every way possible to get him on this trip, even if for only a part of it, but he has made the decision he needs to stay put and keep focussed on completing his PhD. I know that this would have been a hard decision for him but am very impressed with his committment! So we will definietley need to do another GTG

I do however have a girlfriend coming along. We have decided to leave one day earlier (Tuesday 30th June) just to cut down the km's of the first leg (Ok and to avoid having to get up very early 8) ) . We plan to stop in Kalgoorlie over night and meet up with our convoy on Wednesday as you pass through. I will need to arrange a meeting point and estimated time to meet up....any suggestions...John?
          I will PM my mobile number to a few of you and can I get a radio channel number as well?

IF all else fails :shock: we will end up in Laverton on Wednesday night....

Very, very, very excited now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb
          If you're not the lead dog the view never changes!

Comment

Glenn is definitely NOT joining us.... I have tried for a long time now, every way possible to get him on this trip, even if for only a part of it, but he has made the decision he needs to stay put and keep focussed on completing his PhD. I know that this would have been a hard decision for him but am very impressed with his committment! So we will definietley need to do another GTG

I do however have a girlfriend coming along. We have decided to leave one day earlier (Tuesday 30th June) just to cut down the km's of the first leg (Ok and to avoid having to get up very early 8) ) . We plan to stop in Kalgoorlie over night and meet up with our convoy on Wednesday as you pass through. I will need to arrange a meeting point and estimated time to meet up....any suggestions...John?
            I will PM my mobile number to a few of you and can I get a radio channel number as well?

Deb

Well that is a shame that Glenn cannot make it but career first, play time can come later. Still I am really pleased that you are bringing your friend so the two of you should have a great time. There are going to be quite a few ladies at the GTG so you wont be surrounded by men out of control. :lol: Actually I reckon this is going to be a really family oriented GTG and one I am really looking forward too. I have met one attendee so far who have since gone down to Wilmington in S.A. before returning to the GTG.

Cheers

Mav
            Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
            Pradopoint GTG website:
            [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
            My Weather Station In Alice
            [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
            My photo website:
            [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Thanks Mav (sorry I have forgotten how to quote your quote! Happy to admit I am an I.T. gumbie :cry: ).

I am very much looking forward to meeting new people - extending the Prado family. I also know that I have the back-up of my fellow WA fellas......

Should be fantastic! 7 more sleeps and I am on my way..................

Comment

Awwww, its a pity fishnut cant come.

No ticker... Just jokin, its awesome he will be Dr Fishnut soon..

Buts its great your and your mate are still coming.
                And I hear you about the early start.. speaking with Leachy we reckon it will be a 4am departure for us.

And saying that, I doubt there will be too many ppl on the road so Chippy and Leachy, Keep an eye and an ear out for us. We'll be the ones in the Prado with the camper. he he.
                Anyone else from south of the river?

Go the A team..

Jeff
                Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
                W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Comment

Hi Deb,

Sorry to here Glen can't make the trip,
                  look forward to catching up in Kalgoorlie on the 1st

Cheers

Trev L Sharon and kids
                  Prado 2003 with a OME 2 inch lift, ARB Delux Bullbar, Warn magnum winch, IPF 9000 spots, Safari snorkel, Daul Batterys, UHF Radio with remote head unit, extra Power outlet, 265 70 17 MTZ's, ARB CKMA12 Compressor, TrackLander Roof rack with two Rear Work lights, rear anderson socket, twin DVD Players, Indash DVD,GPS, running IGO 8 and OziplorerCE, Custom Drawer System

Comment

Hey Deb

Sorry to hear Glenn can't make it ..... but the PHD is really worth it for him. Good luck Dr Fishy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you're pretty well spot on with the 4 am departure Jeff.

Be sure to keep an eye out for us .... we'll be the WHITE Prado towing a camper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
                    Chippy

Comment

I think when the doctor gets his letters after his name he will have to change his name on here to Dr Fishnut PHD
                      Is he the first Dr on here??
                      Aaron or the other mods should be able to do that. Cant you Chippy?.. only if he wants to tho..

:arrow: Gave the Camper a once over the other day. greased the bearings etc.
                      :arrow: Got new rubber on the old girl. new Cooper Discoverer ST's.
                      :arrow: Visited Ranger camping and spent WAY to much money, But the kids feet will be happy and the new rainbird jackets will keep those covered warm and happy..
                      :arrow: Still need to go warm sock shopping and then its fill the fridges and hightail it to NT.
                      :arrow: Still need to by another 12 volt shower. (last one died at Steep point)

Is there anything you have done? Might jog the memory and alert us to something we have neglected??
                      Like an oil change/ service, packing the Permits, packed the coffee, or the grog, firewood, can opener????

Jeff
                      Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

Comment

Let's see .....

Camper
                        :arrow: Water tank under the camper
                        :arrow: fitted the switch
                        :arrow: replaced the coil springs ...... but that's another story
                        :arrow: greased the wheel bearings
                        :arrow: checked and adjusted the brakes
                        :arrow: checked the trailer lights plug and anderson plugs
                        :arrow: Camper has been setup, seams checked, re-waterproofed, and the beds made.

Car
                        :arrow: fitted drawers, fridge and cargo barrier
                        :arrow: replaced brakes
                        :arrow: Extra spare (on a 17x7.5 steelie) on the roofrack
                        :arrow: replaced rear tank bash plate (pick it up on wednesday)
                        :arrow: removed 10 Kg of mud from middle tank bash plate
                        :arrow: booked in for 140 K service
                        :arrow: ordered fan belt and spare radiator hoses
                        :arrow: picked up some spare auto transmission and heaps of worm clamps
                        :arrow: Got some Toyota coolant, fuel filte :idea: , spare air filter, oils, grease etc
                        :arrow: Put a copy of my travel permits in a sleeve inside the glovebox
                        :arrow: Checked the adaptor fitting on my gas bottles ..... and found the rubber O rings to be perished .... they will need replacing if I want to use gas.

Still to do
                        :arrow: Still waiting on an armature bearing .... to repair and refit my winch
                        :arrow: Still need some more winter woolies
                        :arrow: Sort the money out ... so there's a bit of cash tucked away for the crossing
                        :arrow: Get a bag of wood
                        :arrow: Shift a few more maps onto the SD card in the GPS
                        :arrow: Pack some food and clothing

...... that will have to do for now ..... with any luck I'll remember the rest just after we leave :shock: :? :roll: :lol:

Cheers
                        Chippy

Comment

Deb
                          Deb,

Sorry to hear that Glenn won't be coming along, but I can understand his reasons.

As for a meeting time/point in Kalgoorlie; My guess would be somewhere around 12:30(ish) . That'll depend on how accurate the 6am departure time ends up being, and how long a 'comfort stop' is taken on the way out to Kal.

As for a meeting point; Most of us will be topping up the fuel in Kal I'd guess and are likely to seperate to different servos rather than all queue up at the same one, lol. It's likely to be cheaper in Kal than in Laverton, so the less needed in Laverton the better. A lunch stop would also be good. There's not anywhere in the centre of town that's suitable for a bunch of vehichicles with trailers etc to meet up at. I'd probably recommend somewhere like the super-pit lookout. Easy to find, and something to look at whist waiting, etc. Is that OK with everybody else as well ?

Using UHF around Kal to 'co-ordinate things' can get interesting, as many of the mines and other companies use them too, so finding a suitable/free channel can be a challenge. Mobile coverage is excellent around town though, so that'll work fine. Feel free to PM myself (and others) your number. We can call you as we get to Coolgardie and/or close to Kal so you have an update on time (etc).

John

Comment

Originally posted by jeff s
                            :arrow: Gave the Camper a once over the other day. greased the bearings etc.
                            :arrow: Got new rubber on the old girl. new Cooper Discoverer ST's.
                            :arrow: Visited Ranger camping and spent WAY to much money, But the kids feet will be happy and the new rainbird jackets will keep those covered warm and happy..
                            :arrow: Still need to go warm sock shopping and then its fill the fridges and hightail it to NT.
                            :arrow: Still need to by another 12 volt shower. (last one died at Steep point)

Is there anything you have done? Might jog the memory and alert us to something we have neglected??
                            Like an oil change/ service, packing the Permits, packed the coffee, or the grog, firewood, can opener????

Jeff
                            Hey Jeff,

Be wary of the 12v showers. I've had a couple of them pack up on me at the worst times (like half way up the CSR). There's a couple of better options available. The easiest is to keep the basic 12v shower setup (from the dead shower), and simply replace the pump with a submersible bilge pump from a boating supply place like Whitworths or Bias Boating. The pumps are only something like $30 or so.

Here's a few (slightly off the beaten track) things that might help the preparation;

:arrow: Load up a lot of music on an ipod or other solid state device you can play through the car stereo. I helps avoid killing CD's as they bounce and skip whilst playing them over corrugations.

:arrow: Have a few bottles of water inside the cabin of the car so you can have a drink (rehydrate) whilst driving, without needing to stop and get to the fridge in the back.

:arrow: Make sure you can crack the wheel nuts with a hand wheel brace. Many service/tyre place do them up too tight with a rattle gun which doesn't help when you have to undo them by hand a few hundred km from anywhere if by the worst luck you get a flat.

:arrow: Not cheap, but one of the tyre monitoring units (like a tyredog) are great. They can warn you of a puncture before you've driven too far and destroyed the tyre. They've only got to save you destroying a single tyre to have payed for themselves.

:arrow: If you don't already have one, get a decent tyre plug repair kit. Many punctures are through the tread and can simply be plugged (if caught in time with a tyre monitor), and re-inflated without needing to even take the tyre off the car.

:arrow: Don't forget the thongs for everybody. It might not be the beach, but great for the walk to the showers in the caravan paks, etc.

:arrow: Make sure you have an easily accesible shovel (for digging those 'comfort break' holes). Occy strapped to the spare wheel on the rear door works well.

For me advance preparation involved getting the 50K service done and replacing the tyres. Just the food and clothes to be packed now. There is an advantage to having everything else permanently in the back of the truck.

John

Comment

Some good points there..
                              Made me remember to clean up or replace the Anderson plug connection to the camper, very coroded and full of gunk. Had trouble getting a connection whilst on the way to Steep Point, It was made worse by the fact we had a huge Esky on the tool box so could not check if power was getting through to the battery.

:arrow: Music, Itunes has been topped up with music, anyone tried the Itrip? it connects your Ipod to the radio via a frequency. Just need to tune the radio to the channel and bingo, music.
                              :arrow: Wheel nuts is a good one, will check that..

Jeff.

Comment

I could make the assumption that everyone's list shows their prioritises for the trip..... :shock:

Preparation for me so far:
                                Warm clothes
                                some additional new warm clothes
                                Comfortable and warm bedding organised
                                Instant pop-up tent purchased!!
                                Ready-made meals made and frozen
                                Menu planner complete
                                Dry food shopping almost complete
                                Music selected and burnt to CD (friend bringing Ipod)
                                Camera purchased - lessons attended
                                Maps, travel guides etc organsied
                                List made
                                lists added too

ok....
                                Car cleaned
                                Car serviced
                                Instructions from Glenn listened too :shock: Spare parts, spare key, tool box.....

So much to do this weekend....so little time...

Very exciting though

Deb

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X