Dueler 697 LT pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dueler 697 LT pressure

Iíve just had four new Bridgestone Dueler 697 A/Tís fitted in 116S LT spec, 265/65/17 size.

The Bridgestone fitters have set them to 40psi but the guy said theyíre actually supposed to be at 50. On the tire wall it has 65psi. Theyíve put them to 40 for comfort reasons but the guy even said he has the same tires and heís been running at 40 and theyíre wearing badly and unevenly, but in his ute 50psi was too high without the weight at the back.

Iím wondering if any other fellow dueler owners can tell me what pressures they run on bitumen. Normally Iíd go with official recommendations - so up to 50psi - but would appreciate some other opinions first.

Also if anyone has experience with beach driving Iíd love to hear what psi to use for that. The guy reckoned 25-30psi, which was well above my expectations of 18-20, and Iím going beach driving next week so donít want to stuff it up!

cheers!

Hi Snouto, I also recently purched the same tyre's (Bob Jane's) and was also recommended 40psi as the best for promoting even tyre wear and good ride.
    Have a look at an earlier post on 2nd April re: BFG trye pressures, the guys have some great info on calculating optimal tyre pressures. I will be doing the cals to see how it shapes up.

Cheers Eddie F

Comment

Originally posted by EddieF View Post
      Hi Snouto, I also recently purched the same tyre's (Bob Jane's) and was also recommended 40psi as the best for promoting even tyre wear and good ride.
      Have a look at an earlier post on 2nd April re: BFG trye pressures, the guys have some great info on calculating optimal tyre pressures. I will be doing the cals to see how it shapes up.

Cheers Eddie F
      Cheers Eddie, whatís strange is that the Bridgestone select bloke said they should be at 50psi, and that his tired on his ute had chopped up at 40psi. Obviously I donít want my tires going the same way so will be interesting to check out that thread you mention, thanks!

Following that other thread you mentioned I've used the calculation in the PDF to work out the ideal pressure should be 34.5psi. This is using the Toyota kerb weight for the Prado rather than actual figures, so that will probably change once I can get an accurate weight measurement myself. Still, that's a decent amount below even what the Bridgestone guys put in my new tires. Guess I should try to find somewhere to weigh my Prado before changing anything

edit 2: using actual weight bridge figures the calcs show a psi value of 38.4, which is much closer to the pressure they put in the tires. I still donít get where putting in 50psi comes from though.
      Last edited by Snouto; 21-04-2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I recommend monitoring the pressure change in use, anymore than 4 psi change after a long drive means too low a cold pressure, less than 4 means too high.
        I find that works on bitumen, dirt road/tracks & beach. Higher speeds generate more temp therefore a greater pressure increase, as such loaded highway pressures need to be higher to start with, driving say the Birdsville track I drop my pressure but only cruise at 80 km/hr.
        Over time you will learn what works for you as different tyres & use needs different pressures, that is LT vs passenger construction, tread pattern, vehicle load etc. I found my LT Bridgestones worked better 2 psi less than the same tyre with the standard carcass due to the less sidewall flex.
        02 VX, Toyota Alloy Bar, IPF 900XS with 50 watt HID, 50 mm Lift- Lovell Shocks n Springs, Safari Snorkel, large Pioneer tray, Pioneer In-dash, Alpine roof mount DVD screen -handled the Simpson and Innaminka roads, now with a little TRD blower & Unichip

Comment

Thanks Leethal,
          Good advice I will give it a try.
          Just from curiosity
          I just got back from a 700km trip (all blacktop of varying grades).
          tyres at 40psi. First drive with the new tyres, so knocked all those rubber hairs off the tread, except the ones on the outer tread edge. Assuming the tread should sit fully flat on the road, can I assume this as a good indicator 40psi is too high?

Eddie F

Comment

Working...
          X