Tents- Oztent, turbo tents, jet tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tents- Oztent, turbo tents, jet tents

One's choice of tent should be made after careful consideration of one's needs. Much of the discussion above revolves around weight (specifically lack thereof), speed of erection and compactness. All well and good if that is what you require.

Sometimes (as in my case), other priorities come into play. Family situations trigger different wants and needs. Teenage daughters need space and separate bedrooms. The tender, vulnerable lady-of-the-house needs to know that she will stay dry in heavy rain and that her palace will not blow down when the Big Bad Wolf comes a calling in the middle of the night. Just as she wants to be cool when its 30+ celsius outside. For these reasons we went with the Freedom Camping option.

Yes - they are expensive(~$2K), and yes, they are bloody heavy. Our 2-room Resort weighs in at around 60Kg and takes 30 minutes to set up (or 3 hours if your Mother in Law insists on helping.. :twisted: ) The thing is, if your are camping for 2-3 days+ in the one place then its worth the hassle and the investment if your budget allows.

Freedom also manufacture touring tents which they claim can be erected within 3 minutes. One day when the teenagers have left home this will be our preferred option for the big lap.

Without any vested interest on my part, you can check them out here for yourself:

http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/
    08 charcoal GXL 3.0 with Option Pack. Factory bar, Milford Mutt Barrier, BFG 265/65/17's, Rallye 2000's, GME UHF, Safari Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Nice Rack.

Comment

Hi all, I'm a newbie on PP but thought I would Add to this post. I have had a blackwolf & now have an RV5 with delux side panels & front panel & ground sheet. It is a brilliant tent up in 30 secs easy. takes a bit longer to put the panels up but is most definitely worth it if you are staying more than one night. I will be getting a fly for it also, as the condensation from the dew is a bit annoying. The blackwolf had more room but the oztent is the winner.
      I carry it on the roof rack basket with a block of foam underneath to support it, as you don't want to bend the frame.

Thanks all, for your comments. I referred to PP a lot, before & during the change over from my 2006 120 petrol to the diesel 150 for the TJM T13 steel bar, 12000 lb ox winch, safari snorkle, ARB air locker, dual batteries, TJM 2 inch lift, just too name a few accessories that I researched on PP and got a lot of good tips from this site.

Thanks again
      REV

Comment

We've spent probably 100 nights in our OzTent RV3 over the last 18 months (including 2 PPGTG's). We love it. Sometimes we put up the optional peaked side panels, sometimes we don't. Often we put up just 1 side panel. Occasionally we put up the front panel. It is 30 seconds to put up the basic tent. Another minute or so for each awning wall you add. We always add the extra awning poles from the peaked side panels even if we aren't using the side panels because they provide extra head room and better rain runoff. We usually use either 3 or 5 pegs - 2 either side of the door are essential, and one in the middle of the rear helps to hold out the rear wall. If serious, 3 pegs at the rear. We bought the fly recently - helps to keep the temperature down in the sun if you want an afternoon nap, and also helps keep the dew off for dry packing up in the morning - it isn't necessary for rain-proofing. We also use a CGear green shade-cloth ground sheet that just happens to be the exact size for the tent + awning - and we wouldn't camp without that.

Regarding wind: we have camped in gale-force conditions once - there are plenty of extra guy ropes and attachments to help tie it down if necessary. We did this the one time and it was fine in the strong winds. The awning walls also have plenty of peg down points to secure the walls if necessary.

It can be a heavy tent to lift up and down from the roof rack, but if you want a sturdy and strong tent this is the price you pay. It is easy enough to lift it onto the roof rack from the rear - one end up first, then lift the other end up and push it forward. Rollers on the roof rack would help but we haven't done that yet. I am disappointed that they don't supply a bag that contains the awning walls+tent in one bag however.

As has been said - it can be the other stuff: bedding, kitchen etc that takes the majority of camp setup time, and I agree. Although it is nice that the tent doesn't add an extra 20 minutes to all that.

We have a Coleman camp-kitchen and a small ray's outdoors table and a couple of chairs. In rain and wind we can set up the lot inside the awning and cook and eat inside the awning with the 3 awning walls setup. It's cosy but works for 2. Any more people in poor weather you need more sheltered acreage - we use either an OzTrail gazebo or a big tarp for those situations.

I'll also add that our tent is still as good as new - it's a quality product - I would buy the same again. It's great being able to stand up in a tent. Comparison to the other tents under discussion? Can't comment, have only owned the OzTent. But when we travel, there ain't no room for a large tent in the vehicle, it would be going on the roof rack anyway, so the length of the OzTent is no issue for us.

Cheers, ld
        2008 D4D and a very long dog
        [url=http://pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5318&p=74777&sid=afe8667706bc76d907c8fa81464352d4&sid=1d0b38233e6e0a28f012b5561ec1d59e#p74777]Our Prado[/url]

Comment

The boy and I spent last night on Stockton Beach with the crew from Newy. The weather wasn't real flash, windy and rain... The 270 turbotent faired well, still a prick to pack up when in wet sand, but it keep us safe/dry/comfortable for the night..

Here is a pick of the weather radar.... yuk weather, but fun

[CENTER][B][U]Matt
          [/U][/B]2012 Silver GXL TD 6 Speed manual with some stuff..
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER][SIZE=2]My 2008 Lifestyle 360i camper - [URL]http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=21797.0[/URL]
          My 4WD Action write up 2004 120 V6 Prado - [URL]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/2012/complete-package[/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
          [SIZE=2]
          [/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=2]
          [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

I have the BW 270 Lite purchased from BCF for $799 (must have been a sale on) and would like to give it a big wrap.

There's just the trouble and strife with me these days (kids long gone with kids of their own now) and I can't speak highly enough of it...we get it up in maybe 3 or 4 mins, slightly more to unpack and yes a bastard when wet (but which tents are not??).....and it's that strong that I have never had a drop of the liquid stuff inside or never has it looked like being blown down.

My only regret is that they had an extended version of the 270 for an extra $200 that gave you a storage area at the pack....we thought (as we are only using the tent for any trip that we can't van it) we'd never use it......but we would have.

The problem with the Oztent was it was just too bloody long for my Prado. I have a good mate we go away with who has one and he swears by it (but then again with a Landcruiser Troop space isn;t an isue for him)...at the end of the day not much difference between the two main ones I feel but certainly at $799 the BW was cheaper for me than an Oztent.
            150 Silver Diesel GXL Auto with ECB Bullbar, Toyota Factory towbar, Black Widow Drawer system with Fridge slide and cargo barrier, GME UHF 3340 Radio, Waeco 50 Litre Fridge, Rhino Racks and Rhino Basket, ARB Awning, IPF XS Spotties, ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system,Airtec Snorkel, Bilstien Shockies, King Springs, Poly Airbags and BFG A/T''s. Now towing a semi offroad Lotus Freelander 18.6 Van, with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

I've had an RV-4 OzTent for over 12 months now and am very happy with it.

As other members have stated, it does have its pro's & con's and I can appreciate these after undertaking quite a few camping trips over this time.

Pros
              - Simple and quick to erect & dismantle
              - Quality build/finish
              - Optional Accessories
              - Waterproof (never leaked even in big tropical thunderstorms)

Cons
              - Cost/initial outlay
              - Long pack & heavy (overhangs in my 2mt Rhino Rack)
              - Some of the included height-adjustable poles are starting to seize up

I use quite a few of the optional accessories including the ground sheet, peaked side panels, deluxe front panel & fly ...

The next item of purchase on my wish list is a CGear Multimat to place at the front entry of the tent. From all accounts they are brilliant -

http://www.cgear.com/rec_product.html

Funnily enough, on the longer adventures of late, I am finding that I'm less inclined to want to go to the trouble of unpacking and setting up the tent just for one night (eg. overnight stop en-route to destination & on return). I'm starting to get camper trailer envy!

Hope this helps,

Scott
              Cairns, Queensland

Comment

Hi all,

Thought i would pitch in again. Cheers for all your feedback, and really from what I have found it seems that both are great tents, and that everyone has had great experiences in both.

I think its gonna be a RV-3 Oztent, the missus is keen on them over Turbos, and hey can I argue? Considering I think that a swag is the ultimate, and will take one for me anyway!

Thanks again for the posts and great info,

Looking forward to next year to get the tent, the car, the set up and more importantly finding a great isolated spot to chill in comfort for a few days and enjoy it all.

Cheers

Brett
                Manual GXL150 D4D, Silver,Toyota tow bar, Cooper STs, ARB deluxe winch bar, safari snorkel, ultra quattro 2200 HID, BlackWidow Travelmate drawers, Rhino sportz racks, GME 3540, piranha fridge slide, front recovery points, RedArc Smart Start dual battery system.

Comment

Hi Folks
                  Just catching up on the topic. There's just the two of us touring these days and we were looking for a tent that was quick to erect and also pack up, that we could stand up in and that didn't take up too much space in the Prado. We bought a Primus 350 Extender. It was cheaper than the BW and the Oztent and we're more than pleased with it. Its biggest test was a month long trip to the Cape and it was great for a quick one night camp or a week based at Seisia. Just peg out the corners, get inside and push up the centre pole, than push out the prop on either side at the rear and that's it. First beer in 5-10 minutes after pulling the tent out of the wagon. For one night we kept the centre pole, for a longer camp we replaced the centre pole with two poles which attach on either side to a triangular piece that locks into the frame sewn into the central part of the roof, leaving the whole floor free. Good quality canvas and a high walled tub floor that keeps out the water when its raining heavily. We tumble the second row Prado seats forward and put the tent bag, the poles bag and our stretchers in that space . For a long trip, they get strapped to the cargo barrier and the bars the normally seats lock onto on the floor. If you're after a new tent, the Primus, or other brands with a similar design, are also worth checking out.
                  http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index ... 1286335144
                  Cheers
                  Travelman

Comment

Thread bump!

So for those who are still on the forum 2 and a bit years on, how are you finding your choices? Are they still holding up and wearing well? Would you buy the same tent again? Would love some long term feedback.

Over many years of hiking and camping we have had many styles of tents and camping gear, some of the materials and manufacturing techniques that are being used now are far superior than those of 15 years ago. We have also noticed that our two young boys seem to have changed the way we camp. Our Jayco Eagle is well set up for caravan parks but no good for a lot of bigger trips in the future.

We are currently weighing up our options for the upcoming Fraser trip, we have access to an Oztent RV4 and also a Blackwolf Turbo 300 we can borrow. However my lovely wife thinks that a couple of Swags under an awning might be easier. So today has been spent looking at our options. This has I included some tents, an Oztent tag along connected to an awning with a swag for me and the alternative plan a double and a single ARB Skydome swag with a child each. The swags will allow a quick set up and plenty of use in the future for boys trips or even family trips.

And yes undoubtedly down the track the Jayco will be replaced with something off road! Would love some feedback or suggestions.

Cheers JPH
                    JPH
                    Advanced Member
                    Last edited by JPH; 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM.
                    150 with stuff bolted on!
                    [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27272-JPH-s-150-GXL[/url]

Comment

I used my OZTent RV5 for the first time over easter and loved it. We have the deluxe side walls and deluxe front wall for the extra space and it was brilliant.

I am now looking getting some more accessories for it and we are considering buying another and joining the 2 together.

Steve
                      2013 [COLOR="#006699"][B][SIZE=2]Blue Storm[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] D4D 150 GXL Auto, Opposite Lock Bullbar, Safari Snorkel, GME 3345 UHF + AE4018 Antenna, HR Tow Bar, TG150, HD Rhino Roof Racks, Foxwing, Dual Batteries, C-Tek DCDC Charger, ARB 47L Fridge, ScanGauge II, Internal Fishing Rod Storage, X-Ray Vision HIDs and LEDs, New PP Sticker.... [COLOR="#808080"][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                      My Rig [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27406-Steve-s-Blue-Storm-150-GXL"]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27406-Steve-s-Blue-Storm-150-GXL[/URL]

Comment

Steve I do love the flexibility of the Oztents, being able to add side walls, end walls, tag along and awning connectors as the need arises, does make for a very flexible solution. The cook just doesn't like the fact she can only stand up at the entrance. But then she's happy to have swags instead! Crazy creatures!
                        150 with stuff bolted on!
                        [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27272-JPH-s-150-GXL[/url]

Comment

You're a lucky man JPH. If my missus was happy to swag it, I'd never have a tent.
                          2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

Hi JPH,
                            It will really depend on what you are doing on Fraser and what the weather is like, how much room you have, and what the flies, mozzies and midgies are like etc etc.

We went to Fraser last year, and basically we set up for three days in one location, and then 4 days in another location, so having a nice sized tent you could stand up in was excellent. There were very few midgies or mozzies or flies (fortunately), but I recon if the weather was showery, and there were midgies, then a swag would not be best. Each option has advantages and disadvantages as you know. I hate mozzies (or rather they love me), so I need to be able to get away from them, especially at dusk.
                            Our friends have an OZtent RV4, and whilst it is excellent, it is actually quite heavy and bulky when packed up, its almost 2m long from memory, its probably their biggest disadvantage, so much so they have to carry it on their roof rack as it wont fit in their 4wd, and for some people that is no easy task to get it up there and take it off the roof rack.
                            I like to have a comfortable bed/mattress, so you need to be careful what swag you use, as some have little better than a slim "yoga mat" to sleep on.
                            So...in the end, for opur last few trip sto Fraser, we took some cheaper, large dome tents, which you can stand up in, and keep the mozzies out, but we also took extra poles & ropes & pegs and a huge, silver tarp, and a roll of black concrete plastic for a floor. We could have the dome tents under the tarp if it rained or got hot, else we could move the dome tents out and we had a large "common area" to eat and sit under, out of the sun and the rain. The dome tents were actually quite cheap (but are at least 2m high and just over 2m*2m square, with a fly over the top). Anyway, our camping style has changed over the years, and really...it all depends on so many factors. Dome tent was just under $100 a few years ago, and because we have it under a silver tarp and erect it on a bit of concretors plastic, and always dry it before rolling it up etc, its still like new, the silver tarp is also an excellent investment. We used to have some metal poles for the tarp, but they are quite heavy, and some rusted, so we now have a bundle of aluminium poles and a ridge bar, and the silver tarp is excellent.....and honestly, I can't justify the cost and size and weight and length of a Oztent RV4, we have thought seriously about one, and our friends have one, but somehow, the dome tents just don't seem to be wearing out, and an oztent won't actually give us anything more than we already have. You still need some sort of bed/mattress, a few comfortable folding camp chairs, a fold up table etc, but we never get wet, and we can stand up to get dressed away from the midgies, and the dome tents take up very little room once packed up, and are quite light...Having said all that, this set up is a bit of a pain if you were only staying in one place for a night or two and had to pack up and move on to the next site...anyway, food for thought.

Benefits of OZ tent: Quick, easy to set up. Well made, tent & small awning in one, extras available
                            Downside: initial cost, length when packed up, weight
                            The jet tent seems smaller when packed up, so might be worth a look one day.
                            SE Qld: GX 150GD Auto, (Feb'16 build): TJM T15 steel b bar, 9,500lb TORQ winch, TJM s steps, Rhino Pioneer Platform (42102B 1928X1236mm), front recovery points, Wynnum towbar, P3 brake controller, TNN Underbody guards, UHF, TREKtable & LED striplight, Custom Fridge & Drawers, Waeco CFX50, 9inch illuminator 160W LED spots, 40mm lifted Dobinson Suspension (Zordo's), ScanguageII, 30 Sec Wing Awning

Comment

A swag is OK till the weather turns a bit cold and you want to sit up at night and play cards or something. Mozzies love me so I need to be able to get away from them especially at dusk, much harder to do if you only have a swag. After having a huge family style tent with front room and awning we now have only a small 4-man tent that's big enough to stand up in and 2 people can sleep comfortably with some room off to the side for luggage, etc. I haven't used it for quite some time but think it was a Primus branded canvas tent, a bit heavy but reasonably quick to set up.

Comment

Our 30 second tent has been hanging around for about 10 years now i think. When i pulled it out at xmas to lend to a mate it was still as good as the day it was bought. They are a big bit of gear when packed up but if you've got a roof rack the length is outweighed by their convienience because they're just so easy to setup and are a very practical design.
                                We haven't personally used ours for years now because if i go with mates it's swags for an overnighter or a holiday house if we are away on a fishing trip, and if it's a family trip it's either the caravan or a resort (bloody women).
                                Maybe i'll set it up in the backyard the next time i get in trouble with the mrs :razz:

Cheers
                                James

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X