X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: diesel rattle in D4D Prado

Off topic I know,

Stayed at Narrandera, at the Caravan park opposite the Mobil Roadhouse at the Hay Plains turnoff in the luxury unit ....cost about $80 but worth it with the little fella on board. They accomodate for your dogs with prior arrangement and I recommend them no worries.

saw another Prado in there towing a Jayco Outback Discoverer ............couldnt see a PP sticker

sitting right on the speed limit with no effort from the truck and the fuel economy is ok so far....roughly 14/15l per 100km........no scan gauge yet but working on it.

I couldnt get the auto out of park this morning and realised after 10min on PP that I had blow the fuze from a loose wire, so it pays to read up in the evenings.......to the dismay of my wife!!

Arriving in adelaide on Friday, so hopefully will meet some PP's sometime in the near future.
    Babs
    2011 VX D4D

Comment

Originally posted by mav
      Originally posted by DocK
      Hello everyone, its been a while since my last post on this topic.
      Back from Flinders and the Robe Beach run and off to the dealer to have things checked out. The engine mounts were checked and apparently OK - not the cause for the rough idling in Drive apparently. All injectors on spec and no diagnositc codes detected on the analysis. So no action needed which I think is perhaps a good thing. BUT, does anyone know if the faulty injectors actually send an error code or not? Is there anything that the ECU will detect? I hope that there is an error code otherwise it has to go on the symptoms and owner report and service departments experience with this problem. Ideas please?
      I can tell you that the Scanguage II did not report any codes with my failed injector. I also have another problem either injector or fuel pump related rattle and there are no codes being set with this either.
      Have been watching this thread on and off for while now. Good to hear that some are having some luck with this rattle now. Coudn't help but notice Mav's post here. I too have a noise that I've been thinking about for a while now. Its not really noticable from inside the car but from the outside its like a ringing noise at low revs and at engine idle, but it is consistant. I wouldn't really call it a rattle, but definitely like a ringing noise. I'm fairly positive that its not the same rattle people here are talking about, but I could be wrong. My fuel economy still appears good, as I check the ltrs/per 100klms with every fill.
      I will talk to the dealer at next service though. I'm not sure if the noise is normal as I need another D4D to compare engine noises with.
      The location of the noise appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine beside or just forward of the intercooler.
      Initally I thought it may be one of the belts, so I dribbled a bit of water on them, but had no effect. I also took the plastic cowling off the top of the motor and then retighted the bolts housing the rubbermounts for the intercooler. This really had no effect either. Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated?
      But definetley like a ringing noise. Maybe its normal?

Regards

Stew
      Stewy
      [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]"I need to change my avatar to an FJ"[/COLOR][/B]
      [I][B]I don' get stuck,....but I'll borrow your [COLOR="orange"]Maxtrax[/COLOR] anyway![/B][/I]
      [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?14024-Stewy-s-08-D4D"]My Build up, and still going[/URL]
      [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStewys]My YouTube Channel[/URL][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by stewy
        Originally posted by mav
        Originally posted by DocK
        Hello everyone, its been a while since my last post on this topic.
        Back from Flinders and the Robe Beach run and off to the dealer to have things checked out. The engine mounts were checked and apparently OK - not the cause for the rough idling in Drive apparently. All injectors on spec and no diagnositc codes detected on the analysis. So no action needed which I think is perhaps a good thing. BUT, does anyone know if the faulty injectors actually send an error code or not? Is there anything that the ECU will detect? I hope that there is an error code otherwise it has to go on the symptoms and owner report and service departments experience with this problem. Ideas please?
        I can tell you that the Scanguage II did not report any codes with my failed injector. I also have another problem either injector or fuel pump related rattle and there are no codes being set with this either.
        Have been watching this thread on and off for while now. Good to hear that some are having some luck with this rattle now. Coudn't help but notice Mav's post here. I too have a noise that I've been thinking about for a while now. Its not really noticable from inside the car but from the outside its like a ringing noise at low revs and at engine idle, but it is consistant. I wouldn't really call it a rattle, but definitely like a ringing noise. I'm fairly positive that its not the same rattle people here are talking about, but I could be wrong. My fuel economy still appears good, as I check the ltrs/per 100klms with every fill.
        I will talk to the dealer at next service though. I'm not sure if the noise is normal as I need another D4D to compare engine noises with.
        The location of the noise appears to be coming from the drivers side of the engine beside or just forward of the intercooler.
        Initally I thought it may be one of the belts, so I dribbled a bit of water on them, but had no effect. I also took the plastic cowling off the top of the motor and then retighted the bolts housing the rubbermounts for the intercooler. This really had no effect either. Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated?
        But definetley like a ringing noise. Maybe its normal?

Regards

Stew
        Hi Stew,
        My D4D also has that slight ringing noise in the same position when the AC compressor is running and the electric cooling fan is running, no problems!
        07 Upgrade GXL D4D, Manual, Dune,Sov Bar, BFG's, SG11, Redark dual Batts, Extensive Aux wiring, Stebel, LED stop tails, IPF HID's (my mod), 240V Inv, ARB Comp, GME UHF,TPMS, Safari snorkel, GPS,Hilux washers, 40l Engel in 30% pas pos,homemade A/C cond protection plate, polyairs.

Comment

I've thought about the AC. But its does it still makes this rining ing noise when the AC is off, maybe not as noticable.
          Anyhow will take it up with them at next service. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Stewy
          Stewy
          [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]"I need to change my avatar to an FJ"[/COLOR][/B]
          [I][B]I don' get stuck,....but I'll borrow your [COLOR="orange"]Maxtrax[/COLOR] anyway![/B][/I]
          [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?14024-Stewy-s-08-D4D"]My Build up, and still going[/URL]
          [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStewys]My YouTube Channel[/URL][/B]

Comment

AHHH,

the curse of the noisy motor has struck me too now, started about 1500k ago then got gradualy worse, took the car to toyota who admitted there was a problem and it should't be so loud, they checked EVERYTHING apparently and they reckon bad fuel. so there gonna organise a fuel test to check that out. they made no mention of injectors yet. if its bad fuel maybe toyota need to improve their filter design??, will keep you posted as things go.
            07 D4D Man, Arb Bar, Warn winch, OME 2inch, Snorkel, IPF's, dual Batts, Cargo barrier, MTR's, 60L engel, ARB touringroof rack and tent, front and rear air lockers.

Comment

Yikes - not good Matty. Hopefully you will get a good outcome from Toyo.

HM kms have you done before you started noticing it?
              Easter-08 White GXL D4D Auto - delivered in near record time (5d) from placement of order. Has turned into a "Bermuda" or "Swiss fund" where $ get lost or converted into mods/accessories.

Comment

I've quieten the rattle down considerable just by changing the grade of oil I use. I was running full synthetic 5W30. I thought I would change for towing the caravan in the warmer summer months. Now I'm running Shell Helix Diesel 15W40. Don't ask me why, but the difference is amazing. Yes, I know the oil is thicker, but it now sounds like when it was new.

The book recommends 15W40 more so than 5W30. What I also noticed is the oil takes longer to go black.

I still get a slight rattle at light throttle between 1800 and 2500 revs, but that could be fixed with an ECU re-flash

Anyway, food for thought.

Buzz
                VX D4D

Comment

Yep me 2 now. :cry:

Aug07 build got it in Sep07. Had it in for its 30k service (at 29k) as I wanted them to check the rattle. Not that bad at the moment given warmer temperatures but noticed the rattle in the Brisbane winter time a bit and also in Inverell in October. Happens on start up but once the Prado has warmed up it dissappears. Was getting quite bad in winter time though....... Not as bad as others it would appear.

The service centre didn't want to hear about it at first as they could not replicate it. Doohh much hotter now with nightime temps lucky to get below 20 in Brisbane...... Anyway pushed the issue with the Service Manager and they submitted a DPR to Toyota Corporate Office. Finally got response today after I chased them and TCO wants an ECU reflash done first and then for me to drive it for a while. If that doesn't work then I will press them to test the injectors are still within spec.

Hope it gets sorted......

Cheers
                  '07 Prado GXL D4D Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Snorkel, IPF Spots, UHF, OME 2 inch lift, Street Legal Window Tint and alot more items on the wishlist

Comment

"
                    I've quieten the rattle down considerable just by changing the grade of oil I use. I was running full synthetic 5W30. I thought I would change for towing the caravan in the warmer summer months. Now I'm running Shell Helix Diesel 15W40. Don't ask me why, but the difference is amazing. Yes, I know the oil is thicker, but it now sounds like when it was new.

The book recommends 15W40 more so than 5W30. What I also noticed is the oil takes longer to go black.

I still get a slight rattle at light throttle between 1800 and 2500 revs, but that could be fixed with an ECU re-flash

Anyway, food for thought.

Buzz
                    "

Using a thicker oil and reducing the noise sounds like a tappet clearance issue.

As far as I know the injectors do not come in contact with engine oil so they should not be affected by oil viscosity.

I dumped the factory fill oil at 1500km and put in 15w40 delo 400 and didn't notice any reduction or increase in the engine rattle or thumping sound on mine. The dealer is adament that the injectors are within spec. They would not comment on whether they were out by any amount or if they were spot on. They did make the comment to keep a not of the noise and mention it at the 10000km service for it to be checked again. My guess is that the injectors are out but not enough for Toyota to send the dealer a new set.
                    2019 GXL, Bullbar, UHF, Redarc Brake Controller, Tow Bar, Secondary Fuel Filter

Comment

Originally posted by gxl_d4d
                      "
                      Using a thicker oil and reducing the noise sounds like a tappet clearance issue.

It definitely wasn't tappet clearance noise. As I said, I still have the rattle, but I wish they would just issue a bulletin and do an ECU re-flash. They did it with the 200 series.
                      VX D4D

Comment

Had my 10K service today. Picked it up from the dealer and immediately noticed that when in "D" and stopped with the foot on the brake the idle is much rougher than this morning when I dropped it off. Drove it 15km back to my place (therefore warmed up) and does the same thing.

Interesting to note that it doesn't do it when you knock it into "N". Back to "D" and starts vibrating again.

Damn 10K service!! :evil:
                        July 2008 D4D Auto GXL in White - rubbered, lifted, snorkeled, lit, bagged, barriered, barred, radio'd, and racked

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix
                          Had my 10K service today. Picked it up from the dealer and immediately noticed that when in "D" and stopped with the foot on the brake the idle is much rougher than this morning when I dropped it off. Drove it 15km back to my place (therefore warmed up) and does the same thing.

Interesting to note that it doesn't do it when you knock it into "N". Back to "D" and starts vibrating again.

Sounds very much like the engine mount issue. I am not all that up on these engine mounts but apparantly they work on some kind of vacuum system which makes you wounder if a vacuum hose has been split or knocked off?
                          Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
                          Pradopoint GTG website:
                          [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
                          My Weather Station In Alice
                          [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
                          My photo website:
                          [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mav
                            Originally posted by phoenix

Sounds very much like the engine mount issue. I am not all that up on these engine mounts but apparantly they work on some kind of vacuum system which makes you wounder if a vacuum hose has been split or knocked off?
                            Hmm...maybe related or not, but when i first start off (car cold etc) - and then hit a stop sign etc, depending on where/when - i notice between 45degC and 55degC on the scangauge (coolent temp) when stationary, she idles roughly, put it into N and then back into D, she calms down somewhat. That doesnt sound like an engine mount - more like torque converter load onto the motor. Funny how it dissapears after 60degC or so.
                            Easter-08 White GXL D4D Auto - delivered in near record time (5d) from placement of order. Has turned into a "Bermuda" or "Swiss fund" where $ get lost or converted into mods/accessories.

Comment

I have just returned from dropping my Prado in at a toyota dealership in the Hunter area and had a good discussion about the injector problems as mine has done another injector. He told me that there is a selective recall now for the Prado D4D but you have to register with your local dealership to go on the list to have all 4 injectors swapped out with the new model injectors and the reflash of the ECU done. He told me the reflash effectively detunes the engine so that it can run better on poorer quality fuel, his words were that the D4D was set up to run on a Cetane rating of 56 and most Australian diesel was rated around 48 to 50. The service manager told me he has 40 Prados outstanding to be done and he has only just received the first two kits to do two Prados. He did say that it was only seeming to affect only a certain build date range of Prados which is why this is not a general recall.

So the motto of the story is that if yours is rattling go and register with your local dealership to have the kit ordered.
                              Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
                              Pradopoint GTG website:
                              [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
                              My Weather Station In Alice
                              [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
                              My photo website:
                              [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

reflash effectively detunes the engine
                                :shock: To what?... might be time for you to upgrade to a 1kz-te

I'm a bit over fuel being used as an excuse... other manufacturers make more power and more reliable on the same diesel. I'd say "cheap" fix instead of expensive re -engineering of the fuel system. I've read of the same problem in the Hilux forum (already a detuned D4D) and also read of it on the UK/Euro Toyota forums (better fuel qaulity)

Time all you guys got together to add some muscle against Toyota...... This smells of the Nissan Patrol self distructing engine issue, screw the little guy to keep profits up....

Mick
                                [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
                                Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X