Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Gearbox Oil Change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The 5 speed A750F auto transmission runs pretty hot even around town, and more so when towing. I crunched all the numbers a few years ago (and yes I'm a mech eng), and from memory the transmission oil very easily gets close to its design specs in normal operation.

    I fitted the largest tranny cooler that will fit, a PWR can't remember the model, and even with that at 50000km the oil is starting to discolor and showing signs of oxidation. I do do a bit of towing. Seriously though it's $200-300 well spent to look after the gearbox.
    [B]Steve[/B]

    2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

    Comment


    • #17
      Interesting experience with the PWR cooler and fluid condition at 50 000km. I had a B&M70264 on my 120 series. I picked this cooler because it was much more compact and thicker so still achieved the same cooling as the typical Davies Craig V8 sized cooler. After fitting it, the fluid colour was still good after 60 000km (minimal towning, box trailer to the tip a few times, 1000km at best). I was flushing every 40 000km initially after fitting the cooler and increased to 60 000km after seeing the fluid condition. Don't get me wrong, the fluid colour still started to turn a reddish brown however there was no burnt smell to it.

      On the 150 with factory bull bar, the splash guard blocks the air flow path so not sure if a cooler would be as effective on a car with a bull bar vs standard plastic bumper. The power steering fluid was dirty brown after 40 000km, possibly due to poor air flow over the cooling pipe loop.

      I'm due to flush the tranny fluid in my 6 speed soon. Will post up what the fluid is like. I have the Kaon cooler kit as I was too lazy to make up a mount for a B&M70264.
      2019 GXL, Bullbar, UHF, Redarc Brake Controller, Tow Bar, Secondary Fuel Filter

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gxl_d4d View Post
        On the 150 with factory bull bar, the splash guard blocks the air flow path so not sure if a cooler would be as effective on a car with a bull bar vs standard plastic bumper. .
        My 2013 V6 has a ARB bullbar, and factory oil cooler, and it is still very effective. When you pull up a long steep hill where the auto unlocks and temps rise, nudging 100c, but as soon as the auto locks again, the temperature plummets back down, so that within seconds of locking up its dropped 10 deg and within 10secs its back down to the 60-70deg ave it normally runs.

        Comment


        • #19
          Can someone recommend a garage that can change the trans oil and filter on my 150 diesel, it’s done 115000. Located Brisbane Capalaba area. Thanks

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Mika View Post
            Can someone recommend a garage that can change the trans oil and filter on my 150 diesel, it’s done 115000. Located Brisbane Capalaba area. Thanks
            Deans auto transmissions. 4/150 Redland Bay Rd, Capalaba QLD 4157 Ask for a powerflush and service.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Piggy View Post

              Deans auto transmissions. 4/150 Redland Bay Rd, Capalaba QLD 4157 Ask for a powerflush and service.
              Thank you, any idea what they charge, I’ve had wildly different quotes from all and sundry. Definitely want someone that knows the vehicle, thanks for the recommendation.

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks for the suggestions, had it done at Deans Automatics, Capalaba today. Very pleased with the service. The vehicle had done 118000 since new so first auto service, if I’d known Toyota don’t do it I would have done it earlier. Fortunately no issues, fluid wasn’t burnt even though we tow regularly, they just said it had lost most of its colour so well due for a change and will do it regularly from now on.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I've been quoted $300 - $350 for a flush with Toyota WS fluid. If using penrite, they quoted slightly cheaper.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mika View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions, had it done at Deans Automatics, Capalaba today. Very pleased with the service. The vehicle had done 118000 since new so first auto service, if I’d known Toyota don’t do it I would have done it earlier. Fortunately no issues, fluid wasn’t burnt even though we tow regularly, they just said it had lost most of its colour so well due for a change and will do it regularly from now on.
                    Did you notice a difference in driving at all? Mine was like a new car again!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Yes it was smoother, as you said like new again. Will look at a trans cooler as we tow a loaded car trailer.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        No knowing your type usage but 40,000km is a good insurance policy. Fresh fluids equals long life.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Hi All,
                          A Toyota newby to the group. I have just bought a 2003 V6 Prado here in Cape Town and wanted to know if you recommend changing the transmission oil. The Toyota agents say they don't change at any interval, but nearly check the condition before changing. The Prado has done 290000kms and runs sweetly. I did the oil pickup inspection yesterday and was not blocked up al all. I just removed some sludge from the sump. My plan was to drain the sump and then go through the process of changing the rest of the oil by removing the outlet pipe from the cooler in the front, a litre at a time refilling after each litre removed. Would this be the correct procedure?

                          Thanks,
                          Raoul

                          Comment

                          canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                          antalya escort
                          pendik escort
                          istanbul escort maltepe escort
                          sex vidio
                          antalya escort
                          gaziantep escort
                          asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                          ankara escort
                          atasehir escort tuzla escort
                          replica watches
                          sikis sex hatti
                          Working...
                          X