How to unregulate solar panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Symo View Post
    Yes, because as long as there are more volts on the panel the MPPT will convert them to amps, the PWM will not. This not a case of MPPT is better in the shade, but MPPT is better as long as you are bulk charging stage and there are excess volts at the panel, irrelevant if where you hide your panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Going a bit off topic but not sure I fully understand why a PWM will not do the same, I thought the MPPT advantage is that it finds the optimum voltage for the panel.
    [B]Steve[/B]

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

Comment

Over the past few days I have been testing a Projecta 120W folding kit, at all times when exposed to "reasonable light" it has produced around a 20.5V OCV reading which is fairly close to the 21V specified in the specs and works fine when used in conjunction with a PCM2012. I don't have a Redarc unit here I can't test it on but it should also work ok on the Redarc giving the 17.5V minimum start up voltage quoted.

It is interesting that one of the other users have indicated that the panel voltage has dropped below 17.5V after a few months, I will be closely watching this units output to see if it falls and if it does will be going back to Projecta to get their response.

As an aside I was looking over Ebay and noted at least one mppt manufacture has increased the mppt voltage range to "make their unit compatible with a wider range of panels" the minimum mppt voltage specified was 16V.

Cheers
      LeighW
      Avid PP Poster!
      Last edited by LeighW; 24-03-2016, 11:37 AM.
      HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Booster, Silver 2008 D4D,Lifted,Underbody protection, Alternator Voltage Booster, Tiger Z winch, Lightforce DL, Air Horns, Tanami Drawers, Drop down fridge slide, Outback cargo barriers, Rotronics dual Battery system, Polaris GPS, HF/UHF/VHF, Radio speaker combiner, Long ranger water tank, Diff breathers, Inverter, Snorkel and others

Comment

I've just joined this site and found this thread. Can't help but comment. My last car (hate to say it here but it was a Pajero) had an Australian designed and manufactured dual battery system... by Redarc... was sensational.

My current Prado... I had no hesitation in again adding the Redarc battery charging system... Given the need for certainty in battery charging in remote areas, I've researched the competition... and the Redarc product is the gold standard. I'm no auto-electrician and left it to my local man hence missed out on the learning challenges listed above. Since having mine fitted, my Toyota dealership saw it and commented that the Redarc BCDC product has now become the device fitted to Hilux by dealers Australia-wide as an option... hence Toyota recognising the product fully supports my experience.

Just to add to my redarc products... given my positive experience I also now have the towpro brake control unit by redarc... another gold standard product, Aussie designed, manufactured in Australia for our conditions...

Leigh, sorry to be the opposing opinion to yours on these products but my experience has been sensational, has kept me and my family safe and as an end user I couldn't recommend these products more highly.

Safe travels to all.

G

Comment

Hmm,

A new member first post supporting Redarc and from SA too!

Personally I have nothing against Redarc products, I have a Redarc tow pro in my car though I wouldn't say it was the "gold standard" there are better units around but I needed a remote head unit so installed the old Redarc unit, then upgraded to the inertia type when it came out.

It is interesting that Toyota dealers are now installing the Redarc DCDC chargers in the Hilux, they never offered a similar service for previous Toyota models, maybe some sort of deal has been truck?

As for their DCDC chargers being the "gold standard" again wouldn't say that, they are ok but there are better units around.

Cheers
          HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Booster, Silver 2008 D4D,Lifted,Underbody protection, Alternator Voltage Booster, Tiger Z winch, Lightforce DL, Air Horns, Tanami Drawers, Drop down fridge slide, Outback cargo barriers, Rotronics dual Battery system, Polaris GPS, HF/UHF/VHF, Radio speaker combiner, Long ranger water tank, Diff breathers, Inverter, Snorkel and others

Comment

Originally posted by GavGoesOutback View Post
            I've just joined this site and found this thread. Can't help but comment. My last car (hate to say it here but it was a Pajero) had an Australian designed and manufactured dual battery system... by Redarc... was sensational.

My current Prado... I had no hesitation in again adding the Redarc battery charging system... Given the need for certainty in battery charging in remote areas, I've researched the competition... and the Redarc product is the gold standard. I'm no auto-electrician......

G
            This reads like an ad, strange first post. Should this be in the sponsor or for sale section
            [B]Steve[/B]

2010 Silver GXL Prado 150, D4D Auto, with a few non standard bits

Comment

Is there a way of tricking the Redarc somehow? If it needs 17.5 to start what is the switching off voltage?

I'm in the market for one of these panels due to portability but planning on hooking it right to the aux battery.

Comment

Originally posted by pjorek View Post
                Is there a way of tricking the Redarc somehow? If it needs 17.5 to start what is the switching off voltage?

I'm in the market for one of these panels due to portability but planning on hooking it right to the aux battery.
                No easy way for the user though I imagine Redarc could do a firmware up date to lower the start voltage if they wished to.

I assume your referring to the Projecta solar blanket, if so I'm still testing the unit I purchased but has been very cloudy lately when I have had time to test, wouldn't want to be rely on solar in Melbourne at the moment

So far the unit has produced over 20V so should work ok with the Redarc if the Redarc operates as stated.

The specs for the Projecta blanket state an OCV of 21V so if it falls over time I will be going back to Projecta, if you have a Redarc and the blanket is putting out over 20V and the Redarc not working then I would be going back to Redarc.

I am presently purchasing a Supercheap 150W blanket to try be interesting to see how it performs.

Comment

Originally posted by krypto View Post
                  This reads like an ad, strange first post. Should this be in the sponsor or for sale section
                  Is an interesting first post, I do take exception with the "gold standard".

If we look at the Towpro for instance. I was thinking of buying the Redarc remote head unit a few years back as it was a good idea allowing for a neat install in my Prado. I contacted the company and asked if they would be doing an inertia unit in the future, their technical department argued that you didn't need an inertia unit and that there old fashioned "timed unit worked better", most other well know manufacures had been marketing inertia units for years and these types of units were generally regarded as the bees knees so to speak. I suspect Redarc's main reason for not moving to the inertia type at that point in time was that they didn't have the manufacturing ability to make one, if you looked at the remote head unit it had a folded metal case and the unit looked more like it was made in someones garage than a state of the art manufacturing plant.

A few years later they brought out the Towpro, much more advanced than the remote head unit but I still wouldn't say "gold standard" and still not up to the standard of some of their compeditors but it was a big advance on their earlier models.

The unit was good in that the control unit can be mounted in any position though my version has to be rigidly mounted else it will go out of calibration which can be a challenge when mounting under the dash in a modern vehicle. The remote head unit is great for a low impact install though the head unit is micky mouse and many have had issues trying to mount it. The unit is not auto calibrating and has to be put through a calibration process to correctly calibrate it, they may have fixed these issue with the lastest version though.

My unit has worked well and I'm happy with it though it does have its defficiencies, one I come across on a recent trip, after doing battle with some server ruts I found that the trailer plug had been pulled out I replaced the plug which had a couple of bent pins which I didn't realise at the time. When the next "urgent stop" was required I found the trailer was pushing the car, ie no trailer brakes. A check of the Towpro found it to be flashing an error code. I referred to the user manual to determine what the problem was only to find that the error code was not listed, from memory it had something about taking the unit to an authorised service centre. Very handy when a 1000Khm from any minor community let alone "an authorised service centre", they could have at least listed all the possible error codes, after all the unit sold over the counter for self install, if you install it yourself then I can't see why they restrict some error code information to "authorised service centres". Some basic investigation found the bent pins, which were fixed and so I thought would be the error code, wrong the code was still flashing and the unit would not enter auto mode. I eventually did get rid of the error but can't remember how at this time.

Would I buy the unit or recommend it to someone, yes I would, if you need a remote head unit then it should work well for you, and it is "made in Australia" whatever that means these days? and it is good to support Australian companies if they have a good product. Would I say it is the best around, no I wouldn't say that.
                  LeighW
                  Avid PP Poster!
                  Last edited by LeighW; 31-03-2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I'm after either the 80W or 120W projecta or supercheap version if they work ok. I won't be connecting it to redarc as the original poster but straight to the Aux battery. Really the only thing that will be getting used out of my Aux battery when camping for few days is the 50L fridge (2A draw) hence 80W should be sufficient.

Will have to look into these supercheap units and if cheaper might be the way to go??

Originally posted by LeighW View Post
                    No easy way for the user though I imagine Redarc could do a firmware up date to lower the start voltage if they wished to.

I assume your referring to the Projecta solar blanket, if so I'm still testing the unit I purchased but has been very cloudy lately when I have had time to test, wouldn't want to be rely on solar in Melbourne at the moment

So far the unit has produced over 20V so should work ok with the Redarc if the Redarc operates as stated.

The specs for the Projecta blanket state an OCV of 21V so if it falls over time I will be going back to Projecta, if you have a Redarc and the blanket is putting out over 20V and the Redarc not working then I would be going back to Redarc.

I am presently purchasing a Supercheap 150W blanket to try be interesting to see how it performs.

Comment

The supercheap units were on special 20% off last weekend which made them a very good buy.

The only issue might be the setting up, with the Projecta you now get a collapsible rod and three stands. The rod goes through the top of the solar panels and stops them flopping around to much, the stands then prop the top of the panels off the ground to give the correct angle to the sun.

It is a bit fiddly setting them up, the Supercheap version has two rows of panels which will make it interesting as how do you support them at the correct angle, I don't know if the come with a propping arrangement or not, it doesn't appear they do. If not them I'll look at making something similar to the Project system.

My Waeco draws around 2.5A running, with a 50% duty cycle at around 25C, that's
                      around 30 - 40 amp hours a day, if you get an average of 5 amps out of a 120 watt panel in bright sunshine your doing well, allowing for say 6 hours a day that's 30 amp hours and would just cover what the fridge uses in 24 hours.

Keep in mind you'll only get 120W out of the panel if its in bright sunshine and the panel is around 25C, as soon as you get any haze or the panel starts to heat up which it will do even in 22C conditions the output of the panel starts falling.

I would go with the biggest panel you can afford, I have a 120W blanket, a 150W on the way and a 100W panel, the 370W will just cover the two fridges I run and other equipment when the sun shines brightly! I'll be putting another 200 - 300 watts on the roof of the Vista and hopefully that will cover my needs most of the time without having to run the gen except on a string of cloudy days.

In my setup I have an anderson plug on the back of the car the panels plug into, this goes into an mppt charger in the car. Van similar setup. Saves having to connect and disconnect at the battery, you could do the same either a serperate plug or a piggy back into the trailer connectro if aux in the trailer.
                      LeighW
                      Avid PP Poster!
                      Last edited by LeighW; 31-03-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yes the no frame with the SCA units seems to be an issue.

Not sure what sort of wattage i'll get from the projecta 80W panels but the idea is to simply "top up" my aux battery. We generally never camp in the same spot for more than 2 nights and my Aux being 80AH (let's say 70AH charged when I get there) can potentially give me enough charge for the required 36hours or so (arrive evening, camp at night, stay one full day and leave following morning). With the 80W projecta I should get 15AH to 20AH recharged - my thinking. Once the car is running 2hrs of driving will top it up again.

My preference on 80W as opposed to 120W is purely the size difference. I'm already full with all other camping stuff so trying to keep it to smallest as possible. Mind you I have not seen 80W or 120W in person just dimensions on the internet.

Comment

Hi all

I have, and still currently run a Projecta 120w fold out solar panel with my Redarc BCDC1225 and have had no issues at all!! I have had the Projecta solar panel and the Redarc DC-DC charger for around 4 years now, and have both worked together flawlessly. As an Auto Electrician, I recommend the Redarc BCDC battery charger range. They are Australian built, and are BUILT for Australian conditions, will charge batteries 100%, will charge different types of batteries (AGM, Calcium, Gel and Lead Acid) and can be fitted to Toyota's, for dual battery applications without altering the the Toyota charging system and warranty on new Toyota vehicles. Redarc also have a 2 year warranty on the BCDC charger range, as well as the nation wide back up and technical support. It's a no brainer for me and my clients.

Comment

Hmm,

Another new members whose first post is to sing the praises of Redarc, seems the trolls are very active, then again maybe Redarc have given their staff some extra curricular duties to perform, at least this one had enough intelligence to choose a state other than SA, pity he doesn't know how to spell name of the state he lives in correctly
                            LeighW
                            Avid PP Poster!
                            Last edited by LeighW; 31-03-2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

What's the chances of taking a look at the two new members IP address's versus the first new member on this thread??
                              Cheers
                              Micheal.

2008 GXL D4D Auto. GOING... GOING... GONE
                              2015 GXL 1GD Auto. And it begins again...

Comment

Yep would be interesting, I do think piggy keeps an eye on suss IP's.

Normally I would only input information I have come across on various fourums if it is applicable to the topic on hand but as we keep getting all these new members going on about how good Redarc equipment is then maybe it is time to tell the other side of the story and start posting up some more posts from some of their unhappy customers

Designed for Australian conditions, a few people travelling north who have issues with the Redarc units overheating under bonnet and not charging their batteries might disagree with that one (do an internet search). You would think by now they would have an external battery temperature sensor that would allow the charger to be placed in a cooler environment while still allow it to sense the correct charge voltage required as do some of their compeditors.

And as for two year warranty, there was a guy on the myswag forum from memory having a camper built with an onboard Redarc BMS. Again from memory they had to change the BMS unit either three or four times before they fianlly got one that worked correctly. He was saying how good the Redarc technical support was working through the issues with the faulty units. Might have been better if they just put some more effort into their quality control. That two year warranty might come in handy in this case, from memory they gave him either a discount off the unit or some gear for all the time involved in getting a unit installed that actually worked correctly, and he was saying what good value for money it turned out to be. He might change his mind about that if the unit fails a few months out of the warranty period!

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X