Grease for brake caliper pins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease for brake caliper pins

I was inspecting the rear brakes trying to find the source of the squeal only when reversing. From the inspection port, I can still see the groove in the brake pads but upon dismantling the calipers, I found that the pads have uneven wear - thin on one end, thick on the other. Similar to this photo

So the caliper pins needs a clean and regrease. Any recommendations on the correct grease to use?
    If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
    My Rig Build up

sigpic

Silicone grease, Bendix do a small satchel for about $5.

https://www.bendix.com.au/news/bendi...ts-lubricant-0

Comment

The big tube is around $30 from repco. You can use it as antiseize as well, it doesn't melt or run when hot.
      2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

Comment

Thanks for that. Good to know that is can double as antiseize. Doesn't appear to be many Google hits of stores selling these.
        If you have experienced D4D engine failure, please complete this survey ​http://goo.gl/forms/bpJSYjq0Zx
        My Rig Build up

sigpic

Comment

I have the Bendix grease in the satchets too. Good stuff.
          2007 GXL V6 - ARB Bullbar with LED lights, snorkel, extractors, 2 1/4" dual exhaust, K&N filter, dimpled/slotted rotors, headrest dvd players, Ebay Satnav/reverse camera, GME 3100TX, Tigerz11 Side awning on custom brackets with Maxtrax mounts, 300W Invertor, ARB Underbody protection, Lightbar and STZ 265/70 tyres.
          Wish list in order I'll get them: Sliders, 2" lift, E-locker, Winch bar with winch.

Comment

Bendix blue satchels $2.50 in a small cardboard box on shelf near the brake pads. My 2008 GXL rear caliper pins are sealed with rubber boots, greased and are clean and pads wear evenly. My 2008 Hilux has exposed pins (front) that get dirty and the inner pad wears unevenly like yours. Can't grease them without collecting dust. Rears are drums!! Hilux is so ancient, Prado is good.
            2008 D4D GXL

Comment

You can take out the slide bolts on the rear calipers to grease them. The rubber boot is just a dust seal.
              2008 GXL D4D + Option Pack 1, Safari snorkel, factory alloy bar, dual battery system, Lovells TFR-118/TRR119 Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Prodigy P3 brake controller, factory tow bar, Orac coupling.

Comment

Yes of course, the prado caliper is designed well. Can't say that about 2008 Hilux though unfortunately.
                2008 D4D GXL

Comment

Working...
                X