X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: diesel rattle in D4D Prado

Originally posted by Crammy
    That really sux mav, I bet it makes you just want to sell the car now... I know that's how I feel sometimes! I have been too busy to chase mine up but next service will be coming up in another 1000kms so I'll get it looked at again along with my throw out bearing that whines like a bitch and my rear parking sensors that keep falling out! I find it really quite bizarre that Toyota is not replacing all troubled D4D's with the new type injectors and ECU reflash as was told was available to me by Toyota corporate when I rang a few months back. I wished I had of recorded the conversation as my dealer flatly denies it's available but other guys on PP have had it done.

I compared my fuel consumption with Gimps on our easter trip and my average was 13L/100kms and his was 11L/100kms. I get roughly 770kms before the fuel gauge flicks over to 90L

Good luck with it mate, might be time to give it the flick?

By the way, I'm heading to Alice on the 15th May for a few days, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Crammy

Oh and I went for a spin in a 3 day old D4D hilux today and it rattled it's head off! I couldn't believe how bad it was, it certainly made mine sound quiet. Weird
    I will keep an eye out for you Crammy.

Funny you should mention the Hi-Lux as the head technician happened to say to me in passing that he has had to replace a lot of Hi-Lux injectors for this problem and he mentioned that he has had to replace injectors on the same D4D Prados more than once on a few occasions, mine being one of them. When I told him about what the service manager at Maitland had said about the selective replacement program he still maintained he had no knowledge of it yet I have seen the new injector kits and the manager in Maitland had told me he had 40 Prados on the wait list for the injectors.

They had a look at the turbo that maitland said needed to be repaired but they maintain that it does not need any repair and that it is normal for the turbo assy to show signs of oil leakage. :roll: Yet in the same breath they also said that they had sent off a report to Toyota on the engine as they think there is something not right with it in the bottom end. Considering Maitland replaced the failed rear engine seal I guess they are probably right about the engine being sus.

I still have 2.5 years left on the lease for this Prado, not sure it will make it to the end of the lease though. I do have an extended warranty to 175,000 km which I guess is a blessing really.

They are going to keep me posted on what Toyota say about the engine so I guess I will just have to wait it out.
    Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
    Pradopoint GTG website:
    [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
    My Weather Station In Alice
    [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
    My photo website:
    [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

My dealer told me the same thing, he said I must be confused with the 200 series as there is a flash update for them but not for the Prado

Originally posted by mav
      Well I got the Prado back late this afternoon, they only swapped out one injector again and again it was the number 4 injector which is the one that they replaced last time. However the head technician did say that he has filed a report on the engine cause he thinks that it has a problem in the bottom end and he wants to get Toyota's advice on what to do. Personally I think he wants to replace some major items but he is not putting himself in the firing line until he gets the okay from Toyota. Gives me all kinds of fuzzy warm feelings - NOT!!!

I know now that I will definitely not be getting another D4D powered Prado.
      That really sux mav, I bet it makes you just want to sell the car now... I know that's how I feel sometimes! I have been too busy to chase mine up but next service will be coming up in another 1000kms so I'll get it looked at again along with my throw out bearing that whines like a bitch and my rear parking sensors that keep falling out! I find it really quite bizarre that Toyota is not replacing all troubled D4D's with the new type injectors and ECU reflash as was told was available to me by Toyota corporate when I rang a few months back. I wished I had of recorded the conversation as my dealer flatly denies it's available but other guys on PP have had it done.

I compared my fuel consumption with Gimps on our easter trip and my average was 13L/100kms and his was 11L/100kms. I get roughly 770kms before the fuel gauge flicks over to 90L

By the way, I'm heading to Alice on the 15th May for a few days, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Crammy

Oh and I went for a spin in a 3 day old D4D hilux today and it rattled it's head off! I couldn't believe how bad it was, it certainly made mine sound quiet. Weird
      2007 D4D auto, Tunit Power Module, Scan GaugeII, Bilsteins & lovels HD, raised 50mm front & 60mm rear, 10,000lb Tmax winch, 7/16th Amsteelblue synthetic 23,000lb winch cable, TiTan HD winch solenoid pack, Outback draws with fridge slide & 50 litre Waeco, Ryno roof rack & Alloy Cage & extra set of Rhino HD Roof bars x 3, TJM type 15 steel Bullbar powder coated silver, Dual battery setup with custom tray, Bosch Navigator spots with 55w HID kit, Sand Grabber mats, Toyota Tow Bar, Sensor Touch Electric Brakes, Cooper ST 265/70/17 tyres, Uniden remote head UHF radio, Modified Milford Cargo Barrier, Extra power points in the back run with 10mm wire for fridge & inverter, Anderson plugs with 10mm wire front & back for the camper & compresor conections. 7 inch in dash JVC DVD player with bluetooth & Ipod adaptor, 39DB Stebel High Power TM80/2 Magnum Electric Horns. JL Audio 300/4, 300/2 power amps, Pioneer TS-C160R front splits & TS-D161S rear speakers & 12" Pioneer sub

Still need to fit some heavy duty engine & transmision gaurds, snorkel. 9inch headrest monitors

Comment

I'm wondering if there even is a new style injector as toyota could just be changing the dud injectors with the same type to see out the warranty periods as spanner11 has said said. When i had my four injectors done ( after having 1+3 done before) i was told by the service centre manager that they were waiting for the tech to come from elsewhere to do the reflash. then you hear that thats most probably crap, this is one of the reasons my local service centres don't get any of my business less i gotta.

Not having a go at anyone just venting my spleen.

"by spanner11 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 pm

toyo tech wasn't flown from anywhere it was done by a tech from Darwin, just that Toyota won't release the programme too allow dealership too deal with the ongoing complaints because they don't even know if this is going too fully rectify the problem. Just sounds like bandaide fix, but stranger things have happened. How many years did you get out of your first set of injectors? Maybe they are hoping that this set of injectors will see you out of the warranty period then you are on your own! Or maybe I'm just being cynical spanner11 "
        07 D4D Man, Arb Bar, Warn winch, OME 2inch, Snorkel, IPF's, dual Batts, Cargo barrier, MTR's, 60L engel, ARB touringroof rack and tent, front and rear air lockers.

Comment

I know there have been surveys of prado point members but do we actually know how prevalent this rattle is? Is there any information about whether it is 10 per cent of vehicles or 50 per cent or more ? If it is an inherent injector fault I don't understand why all cars are not affected. Does anyone have any views on this?

Comment

Originally posted by mav
            Well I got the Prado back late this afternoon, they only swapped out one injector again and again it was the number 4 injector which is the one that they replaced last time. However the head technician did say that he has filed a report on the engine cause he thinks that it has a problem in the bottom end and he wants to get Toyota's advice on what to do. Personally I think he wants to replace some major items but he is not putting himself in the firing line until he gets the okay from Toyota. Gives me all kinds of fuzzy warm feelings - NOT!!!

I know now that I will definitely not be getting another D4D powered Prado.

Crammy

No wonder you're getting 13L/100. Have you read all the accessories you've got on your Prado? Probably weighs over 3 tonnes now!!! Plus the extra drag from the Bullbar, Snorkel and Roof Racks. Around town mine flicks over at about 900 k's and I get 1400 k's out of a 150 litres. The only accessory I have is dual batteries for when I'm towing the caravan.

Buzz
            VX D4D

Comment

Originally posted by martybuzz

No wonder you're getting 13L/100. Have you read all the accessories you've got on your Prado? Probably weighs over 3 tonnes now!!! Plus the extra drag from the Bullbar, Snorkel and Roof Racks. Around town mine flicks over at about 900 k's and I get 1400 k's out of a 150 litres. The only accessory I have is dual batteries for when I'm towing the caravan.

Buzz
              Thanks for pointing that out Buzz. I have indeed read all the accessories I've got on my Prado, I even get to see them on it at times. :roll:

I was pointing out the difference between the two vehicles, both of which have virtually the exact same mods(bar, winch, batteries, muddies, rack) in fact we have had both on a weigh bridge and they are within approximately 100kgs of each other. The difference reflects a vehicle with no rattle and updated injectors, vs a rattle prone older style injector in which 1 has already been replaced. Around town I get about 650kms without the rack.

Crammy
              2008 GXL M6 D4D, Silver
              Build Up---> [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2315[/url]

[b]{[/b]ATS Ridepro/Bilstein Lift[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dual Batteries with RanOx Battery Booster[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]600w Projecta 240v Inverter[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dunlop AT3's / MT MTZ's on Speedy Grande Rims[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Deluxe Winch Bar[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]IPF900XS Spotties - Converted to 50w 4300k HID[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]35w H4-3 4300k HID Hi-Lo Conversion[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Underbonnet Compressor[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]GME TX3440[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]T-Max 10,000lb winch[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Safari Snorkel[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Milford Cargo Barrier[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Rhino HD Roofies & AT1410 Roof Tray[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]60L Waeco[b]}[/b]
              [img]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Transportation/Cars/4_wheel_drive.gif[/img]

Comment

Buzz
                Thanks for pointing that out Buzz. I have indeed read all the accessories I've got on my Prado, I even get to see them on it at times. :roll:

I was pointing out the difference between the two vehicles, both of which have virtually the exact same mods(bar, winch, batteries, muddies, rack) in fact we have had both on a weigh bridge and they are within approximately 100kgs of each other. The difference reflects a vehicle with no rattle and updated injectors, vs a rattle prone older style injector in which 1 has already been replaced. Around town I get about 650kms without the rack.

Crammy
                Just thought you guys might find this interesting. I remember reading this in 4WD mag recently.
                Common Rail 4cyl Diesels should be getting between 8-13 ltrs/100klms depending on setup and vehicle type.

My own vehicle is 120series 6spd manual 2008 Build D4D. No rattles that are annoying yet.
                The only real weight is the ARB Deluxe Steel Bar and me.
                At times it carries Roof Racks and Tray and heaps of camping gear and loaded for trips.

Normal City driving - my vehicle returns 10.4 - 10.6 ltrs per 100klms from fill to fill, every month.
                I've had it on highway/city runs down to 9.8 ltrs per 100klms, even with loaded camping gear.
                I'm getting around 1700klms out of it before I fill up, as I run it close to empty.

Large tyres and heavy accessories will through out fuel figures slightly, however as this article read, it is suspect Injectors which could be returning high fuel figures.

regards

Stuart
                Stewy
                [B][COLOR="#0000FF"]"I need to change my avatar to an FJ"[/COLOR][/B]
                [I][B]I don' get stuck,....but I'll borrow your [COLOR="orange"]Maxtrax[/COLOR] anyway![/B][/I]
                [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?14024-Stewy-s-08-D4D"]My Build up, and still going[/URL]
                [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStewys]My YouTube Channel[/URL][/B]

Comment

Buzz

Crammy
                  Yes, Father Christmas is very good to you every year!!! Bit of a shame then with the fuel.
                  VX D4D

Comment

Yes, Father Christmas is very good to you every year!!! Bit of a shame then with the fuel.
                    Whatever mate... I'm pointing out there is an issue with my injectors and my fuel usage compared to another D4D is very different. I guess you'd be happy to drive around with shot injectors. Pretty low act to go down the path you're heading.

If you want to stir up trouble go troll in another thread or forum.
                    2008 GXL M6 D4D, Silver
                    Build Up---> [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2315[/url]

[b]{[/b]ATS Ridepro/Bilstein Lift[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dual Batteries with RanOx Battery Booster[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]600w Projecta 240v Inverter[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Dunlop AT3's / MT MTZ's on Speedy Grande Rims[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Deluxe Winch Bar[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]IPF900XS Spotties - Converted to 50w 4300k HID[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]35w H4-3 4300k HID Hi-Lo Conversion[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]ARB Underbonnet Compressor[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]GME TX3440[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]T-Max 10,000lb winch[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Safari Snorkel[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Milford Cargo Barrier[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]Rhino HD Roofies & AT1410 Roof Tray[b]}[/b] [b]{[/b]60L Waeco[b]}[/b]
                    [img]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Transportation/Cars/4_wheel_drive.gif[/img]

Comment

well im with Crammy on this one...ive seen both vehicles extensively and i know that the difference...

the additional mods dont mean squat under this comparison on the rigs.

its not the fact that father christmas has been good to Crammy its the fact he works damn hard for what he has!!!!!

the d4d rattle seems to be a on going issue for some guys regardless of accessories lists!

joey
                      Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
                      -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
                      Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
                      [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Well im in the process of using the legal system in relation to the rattle as the Toyota Complaints Department have said there is nothing more they can do for me as there Technician has said everything is fine including the noise after 5 of the new injectors and ECU flash has been done.
                        They also said they have had very few calls in relation to the D4D RATTLE :shock: ,so if anyone has the problem or knows anyone with the problem get them to ring the Toyota complaints with there VIN NO and rego so the complaint gets registered.
                        There number is 1800252097.
                        I have been advised to get a reputable third party to examine the vehicle then approach the dealership that sold me the car and if nothing can be sorted only then will consumer affairs assist.
                        I am not going to sit on my arse while some idiot tells me that iam expected to accept a $80,000 car to start making a engine rattle after 18000 km. If i wanted this i would have bought the Pajero :twisted:
                        Cheers Moto
                        2007 Grande crystal pearl D4D auto

Comment

At least the Pajeros engine is bullet proof even though it is a bit noisy

Originally posted by mototrim
                          Well im in the process of using the legal system in relation to the rattle as the Toyota Complaints Department have said there is nothing more they can do for me as there Technician has said everything is fine including the noise after 5 of the new injectors and ECU flash has been done.
                          They also said they have had very few calls in relation to the D4D RATTLE :shock: ,so if anyone has the problem or knows anyone with the problem get them to ring the Toyota complaints with there VIN NO and rego so the complaint gets registered.
                          There number is 1800252097.
                          I have been advised to get a reputable third party to examine the vehicle then approach the dealership that sold me the car and if nothing can be sorted only then will consumer affairs assist.
                          I am not going to sit on my arse while some idiot tells me that iam expected to accept a $80,000 car to start making a engine rattle after 18000 km. If i wanted this i would have bought the Pajero :twisted:
                          2007 D4D auto, Tunit Power Module, Scan GaugeII, Bilsteins & lovels HD, raised 50mm front & 60mm rear, 10,000lb Tmax winch, 7/16th Amsteelblue synthetic 23,000lb winch cable, TiTan HD winch solenoid pack, Outback draws with fridge slide & 50 litre Waeco, Ryno roof rack & Alloy Cage & extra set of Rhino HD Roof bars x 3, TJM type 15 steel Bullbar powder coated silver, Dual battery setup with custom tray, Bosch Navigator spots with 55w HID kit, Sand Grabber mats, Toyota Tow Bar, Sensor Touch Electric Brakes, Cooper ST 265/70/17 tyres, Uniden remote head UHF radio, Modified Milford Cargo Barrier, Extra power points in the back run with 10mm wire for fridge & inverter, Anderson plugs with 10mm wire front & back for the camper & compresor conections. 7 inch in dash JVC DVD player with bluetooth & Ipod adaptor, 39DB Stebel High Power TM80/2 Magnum Electric Horns. JL Audio 300/4, 300/2 power amps, Pioneer TS-C160R front splits & TS-D161S rear speakers & 12" Pioneer sub

Still need to fit some heavy duty engine & transmision gaurds, snorkel. 9inch headrest monitors

Comment

I'm with you Crammy, my Prado is speced similar to yours, with all the gear on it, used to get 11.6 /100 then in the last 6months has risen to 13/100 around town & 14/100 on the hwy, Toyota dont want to know about it, they just blame it on th eroof rack.

Buzz

Crammy

Comment

Originally posted by yetiboy01
                              Actually no. I was checking them out before I decided on the Prado. The engines seem ok, but they have had quite a lot of problems with fuel systems screwing up (probably due to fuel quality) and the car reverting to 'limp home mode' until it sees a dealer. They also seemed a bit gutless, but I expect the new model solves that.

I reckon I'd still buy a diesel Prado today. It's a very good package. Got my fingers crossed I don't get the rattle though.

Michael
                              2008 D4D M6 GXL [MT ATZ-P3][Whitey's Ironman 45710FE/45682FE+KTFR101H/Dob487][extended Roadsafe links][Polyairs][DBA T3/T2][amts diffdrop & recovery points][Tin175's stone guards][Bushskins BashPlate][ARB Sahara][IPF 900s][Snorkel][WindCheetah][MaxTrax][IC-440][Parrot Asteroid][ARB Fridge][Lifestyle 2nd Row Fridge Mount][ARB Compressor][Thumper][SandGrabbers][Cargo Barrier][Tigerz Awning][MCC Rear Bar]

Comment

I have had 2 Pajero 3.2 DID diesels & not one warranty claim between them, didnt even miss a beat when I flooded it up to the dash up the cape, & still no problems 12 months after the dunking. a vast difference to the so called quality of my Toyota Prado that has been in for numerous complaints, wont be buying another Prado unless Toyota makes some drastic changes, its a shame as I enjoy the driving the Prado

Originally posted by photoprado
                                Originally posted by yetiboy01
                                Actually no. I was checking them out before I decided on the Prado. The engines seem ok, but they have had quite a lot of problems with fuel systems screwing up (probably due to fuel quality) and the car reverting to 'limp home mode' until it sees a dealer. They also seemed a bit gutless, but I expect the new model solves that.

I reckon I'd still buy a diesel Prado today. It's a very good package. Got my fingers crossed I don't get the rattle though.

Michael

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X